Which of these two SSDs to buy for installing macOS 10.12 onto

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nndei, Jul 10, 2017.

1. nndei, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017

nndei macrumors newbie

Hello, I am new to the forum.
    I own a 15" late 2016 MacBook Pro and I mainly use it for engineering stuff but have the passion of producing music.
    I would like to have my little music world contained into a SSD and I was wondering which one to get. I was thinking about using it to boot in macOS 10.12.5, so I would install an operative system on it and all the software and plugins needed for it.
    The SSD's I was thinking about are Samsung's T3 and Samsung's EVO.
    I would go for the T3 for its usb c thing (no adapters needed for my MP). My main doubt is if the T3 handles the OS worse than the EVO, mainly bc I know one's external and the other's an internal SSD (and don't know if that means differences with OS installs…)
    I think price wise the two have comparable prices, the EVO though is cheaper if bought without "kit" (which I don't know what is, nor if it's needed if you get a case, to be installed in it, or just for a desktop) + the money for a UASP case to run it at a fair speed. The T3 is much more compact and elegant of course.

Thank you for you precious advices,

Neri

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

In theory it will make no difference, just buy what you like they will both work exactly the same as far as I can tell. Its just a hard drive in an external enclosure in either case.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

I doubt that ANY SSD you buy (bare drive or "ready-to-go in an enclosure") is going to make any noticeable differerance at all.

Just about any one will do the job.