Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
I think its okay, but I am used to the portrait mode at this point. I think there can be an advantage for long emails, but other than that, portrait works fine.

leandromp

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
I hate it too!

I never wanted Landscape, specially in Notes. I'm always writing long things before going to bed and when it goes Landscape for some reason i get mad, lol. I thought it was just me!.

I can't wait to see apple adding that as an option.

K3mp

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2008
S.E. Louisiana
The solution for landscape in bed is to put the home button on top. First put your phone in landscape then position your phone that so the bottom is the top. The phone won't rotate again.

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
Thanks. Any more deep thoughts?

:eek: :apple: :eek: Official Apple Protip: if you hate landscape mode, try using your phone in portrait... What a revolutionary concept.

P.S. If you don't like either:

Step 1: Grip your phone tightly with one hand...
Step 2: Shove it slowly up your anus...
Step 3: Start a thread on MacRumors explaining your discontent.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I don't mean to be a smart arse but couldn't you just stop it from going landscape by not rotating the phone? Or am I missing the point :confused:

The OP has an inner ear problem so they fall down and flip around a lot.

Turning the phone is unavoidable.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I despise it! I can't stand trying to read email/webpages when the damn screen is twisting all of the time.

Give us the option to turn it off!

And I agree with others. WHINE WHINE WHINE, if the whiners get their landscape keyboard, then we can get our option to toggle it off.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
I've always thought that people only really thought they wanted a landscape keyboard because in theory a bigger keyboard is better, when in reality it's much harder to type on. People seem to forget that the iPhone keyboard isn't like any other keyboard, lets say you have big thumbs, the iPhone keyboard is smart enough to know which letter you meant to type. To gain speed on the iPhone keyboard you need to trust it. It kind of makes me smile when I'm zipping right along in portrait mode and I'm essentially typing in jibberish and the iPhone knew what I meant to say. It went from "Okay the fact the iPhone doesn't have a physical keyboard sucks" to "This is the best keyboard I've ever used".

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
Pre 3.0 I had a jailbreak hack that would turn off the rotation in safari. it was useful if you were laying in bed and didn't want it rotating all the time.

So it's possible to turn this stuff off. just don't expect it from Apple. Even 3.0 still warrants the jailbreak

Please tell me what the name of the app is? I do prefer typing in landscape but reading Safari in bed on my back is extremely annoying.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
:eek: :apple: :eek: Official Apple Protip: if you hate landscape mode, try using your phone in portrait... What a revolutionary concept.

P.S. If you don't like either:

Step 1: Grip your phone tightly with one hand...
Step 2: Shove it slowly up your anus...
Step 3: Start a thread on MacRumors explaining your discontent.

What's your problem? Some of us want to lie down and be able to type in bed/on a couch without putting both our arms over our chest and suspending the iPhone in front of our face. If we do this now, the screen orients itself perpendicular to our body. It's a simple complaint, and completely legitimate. They should have a toggle when they change something like this.

Again, why are you so vehement about this issue? Whining is saying, "The SMS app got renamed, I don't like it!". Legitimate gripes exist...

efice32

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2008
Music City USA
It is to some extent though. Realistically, what product fits exactly what you want to do all the time? My riding lawnmower shuts off every time you get off the seat (if a branch needs to be moved for example). I learned to adapt by sitting on a 50LB weight plate so when I get up there is still enough weight on the seat to not shut the mower off. See what I am getting at?

Everyone has different preferences for a device they own, some people love feature Z, others hate it with a passion. The best way to get through life is alert the proper channels if you really believe they will make a change, and then move on and work with it. Thats all I am trying to say, makes life a lot less stressful when people aren't getting bent about relatively minor things.
So you learn to adapt, eh? Did you learn to adapt to the lack of landscape keyboard for 2 years or were you in here bitching about it just like you're criticizing other people for doing?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I gotta say, I'm the one that started this thread and even I'm surprised by all the replies here.

I really thought I was one of 3 guys in the world to care about this, but apparently there's more of us than I thought.

Thanks for all the fun, I really thought that "sucks to be you" was going to be the only response I'd get!

efice32

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2008
Music City USA
I gotta say, I'm the one that started this thread and even I'm surprised by all the replies here.

I really thought I was one of 3 guys in the world to care about this, but apparently there's more of us than I thought.

Thanks for all the fun, I really thought that "sucks to be you" was going to be the only response I'd get!

Totally a legit gripe with Apple. I agree with you.

It's not like this is one of TheSpaz's things where we're complaining about some button being in the wrong place by 1 pixel. This is a legitimate functionality issue.

It's frustrating that the same people who were complaining "OMG why isnt ther a landscape keybord for text1ng!!!!!1!!" are now the ones belittling telling the people who never wanted a landscape keyboard to "deal with it!" Yeah, because they "dealt with it" so well for 2 years.

People are so hypocritical it's scary (myself included)

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
Nah, there are plenty of people that don't like the landscape.

But for me, I can type WAY faster on it and I can explain why. As my signature indicates, I started on a RIM950 as far as full QWERTY keyboards go. Here is a picture of one:

950-1.jpg

Not only does the iPhone in Landscape mode vaguely resemble that in shape, but the way I type on a phone might be unique to just me. When I type on a smart phone, I use my thumbs and middle (bird) fingers to hold the phone. And I use my index fingers to type.

Weird I realize, but I have always typed faster this way than the tradition thumb mehtod.

efice32

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2008
Music City USA
Nah, there are plenty of people that don't like the landscape.

But for me, I can type WAY faster on it and I can explain why. As my signature indicates, I started on a RIM950 as far as full QWERTY keyboards go. Here is a picture of one:

950-1.jpg

Not only does the iPhone in Landscape mode vaguely resemble that in shape, but the way I type on a phone might be unique to just me. When I type on a smart phone, I use my thumbs and middle (bird) fingers to hold the phone. And I use my index fingers to type.

Weird I realize, but I have always typed faster this way than the tradition thumb mehtod.

Interesting technique. I can totally understand why the landscape is faster for you. That'd be pretty much impossible in portrait mode haha.

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
LOL. I just find it ironic that the same people complaining about the whiners re: Landscape, have become whiners themselves.

Now that's irony.

:p

bigmouth

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008

I do something similarly weird. I use the index and middle fingers of one hand to type. Much, much easier in landscape mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.