Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I'm curious what all of you use for other computer screens outside of the iPad to subject it to this kind of scrutiny? I've rarely seen a laptop or desktop or even tv that is anywhere near as good as any old iPad screen. Most laptops aren't available with screens this good at any price, and most desktop monitors that even come close cost thousands of dollars.

jxrxme

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2014
An quick update on my lottery status:

Fifth & sixth iPad Air 2:
The screens are very different to the first four iPads. These one have a severe green (top) to red/pink (bottom) tint.
If I read on the upper half for a while (on white background) everything looks fine, but if my eyes go down to the lower half everything looks terribly red. If I start reading on the lower half and my eyes go up everything looks terribly greenish. Very annoying.

So no keeper yet.

konradsa

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2014
Mine first one (64 gb wifi space grey) had the dreaded book spine shadow on the left side. It was especially annoying at night, when reading in low light with brightness at lowest setting. I made all the letters at the left edge appear fuzzy and not sharp.

The second one now is better, the book spine is much less pronounced, reading at night is easier. The screen is almost perfect, except this one has the dreaded the distortion issue now, where little pressure on the back causes screen distortions. I will probably keep this one for a few months now to wait until the distortion issue has been resolved, and then try to exchange it for another one at the Apple store.

Kroner

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Norway
Mine is surprisingly perfect, I can't find any error. Didn't expect to be this satisfied for something I would think should be to a certain point given.
Glad at least this time I didn't need to deal with dead pixels, bleeding or dust under the screen that I have had with other Apple products. (iPad 3, ATD, iMac.)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I have no issues with my Air 2 (well outside of known issues with iOS 8). Build quality is perfect screen looks great. Quite honestly if I returned something twice and still got a lemon I'd request a refund and buy something else.

Essa86

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
I have heard a lot of people facing these kinds of issues but thank god I haven't seen any dead pixels or any screen problems in my current iPad and previouse ones.

ToyGun1

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2012

The screens are very different to the first four iPads. These one have a severe green (top) to red/pink (bottom) tint.
If I read on the upper half for a while (on white background) everything looks fine, but if my eyes go down to the lower half everything looks terribly red. If I start reading on the lower half and my eyes go up everything looks terribly greenish. Very annoying.

So no keeper yet.

Same here on to my fifth iPad air 2 all had stuck pixels
The last one had horrible light bleed and yellow screen.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Not only is it free of imperfections, but it's one of the most beautiful displays I've ever had the pleasure of using. Could use a PPI bump though to get it somewhere between the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus range. @3X retina in the next gen or two ought to do it without much trouble. I came back from using a Mini 2, and have a 6 Plus now, so it's just slightly pixelated. Using my iMac screen at work every day is far more annoying, but I don't have any hope of getting them to upgrade that for several more years.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
My iPad Air 2 has a bit of light bleed, I also think due to the light bleed the white isn't very uniform throughout. Surprisingly no backlight book spine or dark areas, just the light bleed that is seen in dark light and a slightly less uniform white. No dead pixels either.

I am probably going to exchange it, but I will probably want to check the display models VS my iPad.

I did some research and as much of you know these uniform issues are common among backlit LCD displays. If the diffusion panels aren't perfectly laid, these issues arise. The thing is most consumers do not notice these uniformity issues.

Some are much more severe then others, but I would say at least 8 out of 10 iPads suffer a slight uniformity issue, noticeable or not.

Attachments

• IMG_9642.jpeg
    IMG_9642.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 264

flappah

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
The Hague, The Netherlands
I've had every iPad except for the 4 and I still have the iPad air lying around but I can honestly say the air 2 has the best display any iPad has had. No problems whatsoever and and absolute clear and sharp image.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I thought the iPad Air was the worst retina screen. It looked kind of washed out. Very happy with the iPad 4 screen. Air 2 is only better when looking at hi res photos IMO.

jxrxme

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2014
Finally, the ninth iPad Air 2 I received has an acceptable screen. I will keep this one.

No yellow, red, green or blue tint/hue. No dust under the screen or dead pixels. No unacceptable light bleeding.
The lefthand side (portrait orientation) is slightly darker than the righthand side. Maybe as part of a very light book spine effect. But most important the screen has no disturbing color shift like all other iPad Airs 2 had.

BTW: My iPad 2 has an better display concerning illumination and color equality compared to the best iPad Air 2 screen I've seen so far. Of course the iPad Air 2 shines with it's high dpi value, color space and less reflections.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Here again.... People returning eight devices for nothing.
I'd really wish Apple to "ban" customers after a few returns (maybe 3/4).
Who is paying the cost of unreasonable customers? We are

----------

I have no issues with my Air 2 (well outside of known issues with iOS 8). Build quality is perfect screen looks great. Quite honestly if I returned something twice and still got a lemon I'd request a refund and buy something else.

that would be reasonable and understandable.
But people returning 4-5 or even more units would always find something to complain. No matter what.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I've owned every iPad and purchased 3 iPad Air 2's. All of them work fantastically and at 1/3 the price of a Surface, plus the screen looks better on my iPad.

As mentioned before, take it back and switch it out or ask for a refund and pick up another tablet type.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
The bottom of mine looks slightly pink and yellow. Minor but annoying. No book spine so I may just keep it.

jxrxme

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2014
As mentioned before, take it back and switch it out or ask for a refund and pick up another tablet type.

Buying something else is difficult if you don't want to leave the nice iOS ecosystem.

----------

Here again.... People returning eight devices for nothing.
I'd really wish Apple to "ban" customers after a few returns (maybe 3/4).
Who is paying the cost of unreasonable customers? We are.

IMHO: Apple is accepting many returns from a very, very small percentage of customers knowing that the major part of customers don't see the spreaded display flaws. This accepted quality inconsistency enables Apple to make more money compared to delivering only perfect screens to customers how can't see the difference (lucky ones!).

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I also discovered my iPad Air 2 display seems much warmer/yellower then the display units in store, check out the attached image for comparison, wonder if this has anything to do with the back light leakage, might be two different issues. After bringing my unit to compare to the store displays I made a genius bar appointment. My unit is on the left, display on right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 384

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I also discovered my iPad Air 2 display seems much warmer/yellower then the display units in store, check out the attached image for comparison, wonder if this has anything to do with the back light leakage, might be two different issues. After bringing my unit to compare to the store displays I made a genius bar appointment. My unit is on the left, display on right.

Another Picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 358

jxrxme

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2014

As long as the warm white is across the whole screen I wouldn't care. My "keeper" iPad is warmer than the others I had. Actually I like it. It only gets annoying if the white tone isn't consistent across the whole screen.

TheSwede

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012

Very interesting. I bought two iPad Air 2, one 128gb wifi and another 128gb LTE
The LTE iPad had a warm screentone and the wifi had a cool screentone.
I only got the two because i couldn't decide if i wanted LTE or not. I decided to keep the wifi only. Instant hotspot from my iPhone 6+ was super easy, and the wifi version looks and feels better - no black plastic on the back and i actually think the wifi version feels a tad lighter... But it might just be in my head :)

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
As long as the warm white is across the whole screen I wouldn't care. My "keeper" iPad is warmer than the others I had. Actually I like it. It only gets annoying if the white tone isn't consistent across the whole screen.

I agree about uniformity, I just feel the warmer display Muddys up the contrast if that makes sense. it you look at the attached image the trees on the right "cooler" display look sharper then the trees on the left "warmer" display.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 299

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I'm curious what all of you use for other computer screens outside of the iPad to subject it to this kind of scrutiny? I've rarely seen a laptop or desktop or even tv that is anywhere near as good as any old iPad screen. Most laptops aren't available with screens this good at any price, and most desktop monitors that even come close cost thousands of dollars.

I agree. It's one of those things where it's just not an issue until someone brings it to your attention. Then you can't "un"see it.

jxrxme

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2014
I agree about uniformity, I just feel the warmer display Muddys up the contrast if that makes sense. it you look at the attached image the trees on the right "cooler" display look sharper then the trees on the left "warmer" display.

It's hard to judge a display issues from a photo. If you're unhappy with it try to get an exchange or refund. Display issues can get annoying since once spotted you can't not see it...

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY

So no keeper yet.

Are you returning the iPad or going to the genius bar for a replacement?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.