Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wentwj

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Ultimately I think it's unlikely apple will do anything other than a processor bump in the next few weeks.

In approximately a week in a half I'll be without a computer, so at that time I'll be ordering a MacBook Pro update or no. I could care less about a processor bump, but I would like a magnetic latch, and the MacBook Air style keyboard. I'm currently using a MacBook and have quite become to these convinces, so upgrading to the pro model, but not getting these seems like a hollow victory in some senses.

But my wait isn't really up to me, my MacBook is being passed down, so when that happens I'll need a new laptop, and the MacBook Pro it is, update or no. I think given that they will be trying to sell MacBook Air's, the Pro won't see anything other than a processor boost.

The MBA is only competing with the MBP in regards to price, so upping the processor on the MBP won't really cut into sales of the MBA, however, adding things like a multi-touch track pad, magnetic latch, and keyboard, does cut somewhat into the appeal of the MBA. I have no doubt that sometime, probably later this year, the MBP will be updated with all these features we see on the MBA, but I'd be highly surprised if it happened within the next few months. Then again, I said the same thing in regards to the iPod Touch

Macg85

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
Calli
Penryn bump

I ordered my mbp...I didn't need it...but i wanted it too much to wait any longer. What I'm currently using is so sad its not even funny.

Penryn drop might happen but I'm not worried. Its only a slight improve.

They won't upgrade gpu anytime soon because for how much power they want to use and how slim they want to go, their isn't anything currently out.

If they do a case redesign before June then I WILL be upset and you can expect to see my max spec 15.4 at an incredibly reasonable price on ebay ;)

PS have they ever redesigned without showing it? (this is a question)

haoqfu

Cancelled
Aug 29, 2006
I'm waiting for a blu-ray drive upgrade & the multitouch gesture feature built into MBP.

Btw, I'm wondering if multitouch gesture can be added to MBP thru a software upgrade.

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Thinking about buying a normal macbook and seeing if that is enough machine for me. I'll keep it for a while and wait for a mbp update.. if it gets updated, I'll sell the macbook and will have saved the difference between it and the pro during the waiting period.

g0rillacake

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
I'm waiting for a blu-ray drive upgrade & the multitouch gesture feature built into MBP.

Btw, I'm wondering if multitouch gesture can be added to MBP thru a software upgrade.

It likely can't be incorporated through a software upgrade. The multitouch technology is hardware based; a paradigm shift in how touch sensitive pads are physically constructed. You can read about how multi-touch pads work and how they differ from standard touch sensitive pads on current gen macbooks at howstuffworks.com.

mr. buttons

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2007
NYC
i just got a MBP, 15", 2.6, 200gb 7200 speed, 2gb.

I have been waiting since sept. and I need a new laptop now. My old ibook G4 is so damn slow. I plan on selling my MBP when the new case design comes out and that is not for awhile.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England

I have been waiting since sept. and I need a new laptop now. My old ibook G4 is so damn slow. I plan on selling my MBP when the new case design comes out and that is not for awhile.

I'm always baffled by this type of strategy :confused: You're basically saying you're willing to throw away a thousand bucks to essentially rent this MBP for a few months:eek: At that rate you're in effect buying a new machine every 18 months or so and then dumping it in the garbage. That's a pretty short cycle for most people who are not using their computer purchases as tax write-offs.

wentwj

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006

Looks like I'll be doing the same thing. My girlfriend will be inherting my MacBook in two weeks for school, which will leave me computer-less, so I'm upgrading up to the MacBook Pro. I don't care much about a processor bump but there are some case design issues I'd like to have (and a better Processor/GPU never hurts), so I'lll probably get it in two weeks, and barring any miracle update between now and then, just sell it whenever they do a case redesign and pay the difference.

In regards to the poster above, I don't (and I don't think the poster you spoke to either) expects a MAJOR update in the next few months. We expect a silent update soon, and then a more major update probably near the end of the year. If I expected the update was coming within the next month I wouldn't plan on selling it then (unless they held their value... which things usually don't have a product refresh). I just don't think we'll see a major change to the MBP beyond a processor bump until the back half of the year at least.

iCeFuSiOn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
I bought a 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz the day of the keynote, and I'm very impressed by the sheer power and performance that Apple have packed into this notebook. Absolutely love it!

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
I don't quite understand getting the best machine with the intention to sell it relatively soon, but I wouldn understand if he went for say the base model MBP. Anyway, my new MBP is coming tomorrow, along with my 4GB RAM kit from OWC. The RAM will go in right after I make sure it works OK stock.

wentwj

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
I don't quite understand getting the best machine with the intention to sell it relatively soon, but I wouldn understand if he went for say the base model MBP. Anyway, my new MBP is coming tomorrow, along with my 4GB RAM kit from OWC. The RAM will go in right after I make sure it works OK stock.

I'm not sure if you were saying you "would" understand if it's the base MBP, but that's exactly what I plan to do. Get the base MBP, probably put a 320gb HD in there because I love space, and then most likely put the default back in there before I sell it (if I sell it, again power wise I'm fine with the current MBP, I'm more looking for case feature updates, and maybe a GPU update).

I know I'll lose money on the deal, but since I'm getting the MBP at student prices, hopefully that'll help cut that down a little too.

davidnaquino

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2005
Damn you Apple! So many of us were counting on something big in regards to MBP.

I have to agree that Apple will do some sort of update, maybe even big, in the next 2 months... HAVING SAID THAT, I also believe that even after that sort term revision, Apple will update it AGAIN before the year is over. Which pisses me off.

I hate to say it, but I'm actually considering an Air. Stupid Apple stragtegy is working. The thing for me is that I will need a notebook over the next 8 months for an internship I'm doing BUT I won't be doing my usual FCP work in that time period. So maybe I eat the insane premium that is MacBook Air, enjoy it and when I'm in need of a PRO mac I go for the big guns and get a mac pro and 30 inch cinema display.

It's just going to be WAY more expensive this way! :(

Twe Foju

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2007
Jakarta
"CES: Intel launches Penryn chip for MacBook Pro 2.6GHz" Link here

"Early 2008 MacBook Pro refresh expected" Link here

dude, those link are like way before MWSF man

those news said the updated MBP which "MIGHT" happen on MWSF

but the reality says it all

no MBP or MB updates

and my guess is prolly MBP probably would be updated on 2nd or 3rd quarter of 2008

that too, is most likely not to happen

Lyshen

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
California
Contemplated buying current MBP since no updated MBP was announced... but decided I'll wait. Would like a new laptop but not in a rush so I'll go with the waiting game for now.

Would be first Mac for me since the Macintosh 128k... oh so long ago! :eek:

aPOTTEDtree

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
Educated Prediction

Summer-Fall 2008

MacBook Air sees a sizable price drop $1300-1700~ 1.8 and 2ghz model 11hr battery life. SD slot

Hardware Update: iPhone: 16GB with expandable SD only for photos, 5MP camera with flash and 30fps video capture. Hybrid iLife apps. Wireless N, WiMAX and 3G support. New Bluetooth functionalities. Silverthorn. New Casing Sill Al.

New! MacBook Pro: Convertible tablet, keyboard and stylus attached, but not required. 2 core and 4 core Penryn options "professional price tag" $3100-4500 all aluminum body. "Return to industry professional product only." On board Optical drive. 8-9hr battery life.

New! MacBook "Slate": Full tablet no keyboard or stylus included or attached. Optional on board Optical drive or second HD or SSD $1800-2700 2 core Penyrn all aluminum body. 8-9.5hr battery life.

In order of release.

You heard it here first, but not from me..."Air" was/is literaly breathing room to finish newton and Silverthorn integration into the iPhone and apps.

-Tree

itsallinurhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2007
Southern California
Summer-Fall 2008

MacBook Air sees a sizable price drop $1300-1700~ 1.8 and 2ghz model 11hr battery life. SD slot

Hardware Update: iPhone: 16GB with expandable SD only for photos, 5MP camera with flash and 30fps video capture. Hybrid iLife apps. Wireless N, WiMAX and 3G support. New Bluetooth functionalities. Silverthorn. New Casing Sill Al.

New! MacBook Pro: Convertible tablet, keyboard and stylus attached, but not required. 2 core and 4 core Penryn options "professional price tag" $3100-4500 all aluminum body. "Return to industry professional product only." On board Optical drive. 8-9hr battery life.

New! MacBook "Slate": Full tablet no keyboard or stylus included or attached. Optional on board Optical drive or second HD or SSD $1800-2700 2 core Penyrn all aluminum body. 8-9.5hr battery life.

In order of release.

You heard it here first, but not from me..."Air" was/is literaly breathing room to finish newton and Silverthorn integration into the iPhone and apps.

-Tree

huh?

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Summer-Fall 2008

In order of release.

-Tree

Err...

Lyshen

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
California
Uhhm, 8-9 hours battery life and with what your saying, sounds like it would be noticeably heavier. Granted with the Montevina chipset, there probably will be better battery life but not sure that much.

If Apple were to release a tablet notebook I'd think they would just release a new line, not change a current line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.