Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I've never used a case with my phones since I just hate the way they feel and look. I've never broken a screen or otherwise damaged an iPhone, but I was a little worried when I first opened my iPhone 6 Plus since it seemed really slippery. I bought an Apple Silicone case and while it's nice enough, and pretty minimal in size and weight, I found that I liked using my phone a lot less when it was in the case. I used the case for the first few days I had the phone and found myself considering taking it back because it seemed so large and heavy. That feeling went away when I started using it naked. And within a few days the metal back became way less slippery and I don't have any problems holding onto it anymore.

so that just means apple care+ is such a good deal. for relatively 'free', you get additional coverage for everything else.

It means it's a good deal if you break your screen twice. If you only break it once and have no other issues, then you're losing money compared to not buying it (and of course you're losing money if you break nothing). Basically, you're buying it for added peace of mind, and possibly for better support through Apple Stores. I did end up getting SquareTrade insurance for my phone since I have no Apple Stores nearby and had a good experience with ST when my camera broke, but I got it mostly because my 128GB iPhone 6 Plus is nearly $1,000 and I have would be worried carrying it around with no insurance at all. I expect not to use it.

BuffordT

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
Bought a case for mine out of the gates but debating just buying AppleCare and rocking it naked. Feels great in the hand. Who's going naked this time around?

No one is 'rocking' anything. It's a cell phone. :rolleyes:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
The Apple leather case is sweet

I'll have to agree with this. I have the black Apple leather case for my 6 Plus. While it's not protective of high impact, it's certainly protective of scrapes and minor drops. Plus it's fits like a glove so it adds no bulk and it looks sexy on the iPhone. Has a nice grip to it too but just a little on the expensive side. One could call it "overpriced" but there's nothing else out there that offers the sleekness as well as covering the entire back and sides of the phone.

Godmode

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
I have the apple leather case for my 6plus and a screen guard. I usually go fully naked but in all honesty, what with the 'bend talk' and the fact the phone is undeniably slippery, i had no option. The leather apple case has a ****ing great premium- soft feel to it and makes it a pleasure to hold so no complaints here. Usually against screen guards too but i managed to apply this one perfectly and i immediately forgot it was on the phone. I feel safer for it being a little more covered than usual, best iphone i have ever had!

luminouslight

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Orlando FL
As much I love the feel of my iPhone 6 plus naked with its curved glass it's too damn slippery and I'm afraid I'll drop it and shatter it.

I'm using a Apple Midnight Blue Leather case. I can say I really like it! Doesn't add much bulk and it makes the phone stay firmly in my hand and non slippery. :apple:

salmankhan

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
I am using my iphone 6 without a case. Hell since the launch of the original iphone i havent used a case ever. Why because i am extremely careful in handling my phone. And this time i am not even using a screen protector though i have used screen protectors on my previous iphones.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
AC+ vs. a Case:

AC+: $99 (pro-rata refund if you upgrade yearly... I got $47 back last time).

Case: IF you only buy one (and I doubt that, but ok), it will run you an average of $29.95 (Apple's leather case is $45, so I'm being conservative here). Also figure a screen protector (unless it's built in) as most folks will do both. Figure conservatively $10-20 there.

So let's just say an AVERAGE of about $45.

Then you drop your phone. $79 and AC+ gets you a cosmetically new one. So now you're up to $121 if you upgrade yearly like me, or $178 if you keep it the full two years.

IF you were lucky and only damaged the screen and NOTHING else (i.e. no big gash on the phone anywhere else from the drop) AND the case remains fully functional and in a condition you don't mind keeping, then it will only cost you $109. So now you're at $154.

Already higher than a (one year) AC+ with one REPLACEMENT, and also with ZERO coverage going forward. It also assumes you won't need to replace the whole phone ($329) or need a new case/screen protector ($40-50 again). It just isn't a viable argument. Then if you drop it again... well...

Going naked with AC+ makes sense even in the extreme case of someone who will claim they only buy 1 case for the life of their device. We all know in reality that case folks usually buy multiple cases trying to find the "perfect" one (I did, before I went naked).

And let's look at the other extreme of NOTHING happening. No drops, no nothing. First of all, you still spend $40-50 on the case/screen protector, and I still only spend $52 because I upgrade every year and pro-rate the plan.

Even if I didn't, $99 vs. $40-50, AND I get the peace of mind knowing if I did do something like drop my phone in a lake, or put it on top of my car, I'm covered for $79 instead of the $329 it'll cost you.

For $50 over 2 years (literally $2 a month) I'll take that any day.

AND I get to enjoy the device as Apple wanted me to. It's awesome. It lets me show off the new device too :p

Go naked. Get AC+ if you worry. It's a NO BRAINER when you really stop and think about it.

arftech

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
AC+ vs. a Case:

AC+: $99 (pro-rata refund if you upgrade yearly... I got $47 back last time).

Case: IF you only buy one (and I doubt that, but ok), it will run you an average of $29.95 (Apple's leather case is $45, so I'm being conservative here). Also figure a screen protector (unless it's built in) as most folks will do both. Figure conservatively $10-20 there.

So let's just say an AVERAGE of about $45.

Then you drop your phone. $79 and AC+ gets you a cosmetically new one. So now you're up to $121 if you upgrade yearly like me, or $178 if you keep it the full two years.

IF you were lucky and only damaged the screen and NOTHING else (i.e. no big gash on the phone anywhere else from the drop) AND the case remains fully functional and in a condition you don't mind keeping, then it will only cost you $109. So now you're at $154.

Already higher than a (one year) AC+ with one REPLACEMENT, and also with ZERO coverage going forward. It also assumes you won't need to replace the whole phone ($329) or need a new case/screen protector ($40-50 again). It just isn't a viable argument. Then if you drop it again... well...

Going naked with AC+ makes sense even in the extreme case of someone who will claim they only buy 1 case for the life of their device. We all know in reality that case folks usually buy multiple cases trying to find the "perfect" one (I did, before I went naked).

And let's look at the other extreme of NOTHING happening. No drops, no nothing. First of all, you still spend $40-50 on the case/screen protector, and I still only spend $52 because I upgrade every year and pro-rate the plan.

Even if I didn't, $99 vs. $40-50, AND I get the peace of mind knowing if I did do something like drop my phone in a lake, or put it on top of my car, I'm covered for $79 instead of the $329 it'll cost you.

For $50 over 2 years (literally $2 a month) I'll take that any day.

AND I get to enjoy the device as Apple wanted me to. It's awesome. It lets me show off the new device too :p

Go naked. Get AC+ if you worry. It's a NO BRAINER when you really stop and think about it.

We really don't know what Apple intended because they didn't say. However, they did bring out their own line of cases.;)

JeremyE

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2012
I feel like the small percentage of people who have never put a case or screen protector on and have not broke their phone. Had iPhone since 4.

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014

That's why Apple put out their own line of cases... LOL

Or you can just do what I did and spend $35 for a Ballistic case (6 sided drop protection up to 6 ft) with a $25 Ghost Armor screen protector that includes lifetime $5 replacements for scratch protection. (The phone is already protected from landing on the screen by the case.)

I only had to buy one case because it's the same case brand that has protected my S3 and 5s... and both were dropped at least 5 times each onto the concrete floors at work... no scratches, no dings, and no shattered screens.

8697036_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

The phone in case measures right at 1/2 inch thick. Not a problem for me because I don't wet myself over how incredible thin and easy to drop the phone is.

Last edited:

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
Frankly, I'm surprised so many people feel that screen protectors are a must. Back when I used PDAs, screen protectors seemed more reasonable since you used a stylus, which could potentially drag a piece of dust or grit across the screen and scratch it -- plus the screens themselves were made of soft plastic. Now, the only situation I could see possibly getting scratches on my screen is if I dropped the phone and it slid across the pavement or something, but I'm probably going to have worse problems than scratches in that case. I'm not sure I believe the claims that screen protectors will prevent cracked screens.

I think the analysis of insurance vs. case above is an interesting one. Of course, it doesn't take into account instances when the case prevents breakage that would've occurred with a naked phone. It's hard to know how often that actually happens. People drop naked phones with no damage, and cased phones that end up with cracked screens. It's largely luck, but I assume that a good case will improve your chances.

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
I think the analysis of insurance vs. case above is an interesting one. Of course, it doesn't take into account instances when the case prevents breakage that would've occurred with a naked phone. It's hard to know how often that actually happens. People drop naked phones with no damage, and cased phones that end up with cracked screens. It's largely luck, but I assume that a good case will improve your chances.

http://youtu.be/qXSpfwYL6eE

The 3GS is the obvious choice for a naked iPhone.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I've been having mine out in the open. Buuut I did get the ghost armor and AC+.

It's doing juust fine.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I have the Apple leather case and AppleCare+. I try taking the case off but the phone is so smooth and thin it's just waiting to be dropped. Back to a case.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
6 plus naked here. Never used a case on my 5 either.

I think cases are kind of a scam for more $$$ to be made by the case makers. Unless you cover the screen (and who wants to cover that beautiful screen), all a case does is protect the back and sides from some dings or scratches. Frankly, I'm not concerned about the back staying pretty. Regardless, I got full price of $185.00 from Game Stop trading in my 5. So any minor blemishes didn't matter.

I fail to see what a case does, other than add weight and cover up what you actually bought.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I hope you guys with a case remove it daily to clean out the little bits of grit that get in between the care and phone. That stuff turns into sand paper after a while ;)

As for me it's neked all day every day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.