Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I’m not talking about orientation, I am talking about getting your finger on it enough for it to get a good reading. If your finger isn’t covering the sensor enough you have to readjust and it takes longer.

No, it doesnt need your full finger to cover the sensor in order to unlock.
It takes less than a second to unlock and just by using the edges of your fingertips does it.
Have you used touch ID before?

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
It works fine sideways and upside down for years.
When you enter your fingerprint in setup with rest and repeat you have to move it around and enter it upside down, sideways and at all different angles. Then it will read it fine.
Lifting you phone to a certain angle and height for the phone to read your face is a lot more fiddling and more of a pain.

Except I don’t have to find a right angle to get my phone unlock that isn’t a natural place I’d have my face anyway. I’ve actually been specifically holding the phone at different angles and distances, and it’s not been an issue. I think how big a circle you make with your head when teach it is important. Just like with teaching it your finger print.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
As an iPhone X owner, clearly you don't.

I dont need to be an iphone X owner, I'll continue to post my opinion and input on the iphone X weather that bothers you or not.
Hope it doesnt hurt your feelings too much :D
[doublepost=1510256642][/doublepost]
Except I don’t have to find a right angle to get my phone unlock that isn’t a natural place I’d have my face anyway. I’ve actually been specifically holding the phone at different angles and distances, and it’s not been an issue. I think how big a circle you make with your head when teach it is important. Just like with teaching it your finger print.

A right angle to get your phone to unlock? A thumbprint works sideways and upside down unlike FaceID :D
You're holding it wrong unless the sensor can view and read your face in order to let you in your phone.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
No, it doesnt need your full finger to cover the sensor in order to unlock.
It takes less than a second to unlock and just by using the edges of your fingertips does it.
Have you used touch ID before?

I used it for three years. If it’s not covering pretty much the entire sensor it doesn’t work. If it did for you then yours is broke. Have you ever used it? I am saying when you finger is only half or 3/4 covering the sensor which is easy to do it you are randomly grabbing your phone in your pocket or not looking at it while it’s sitting on a desk, which is what people here seem to be claiming makes touchid work better.

While I agree you have every right to just flat out not like the looks or style of the phone, you really are just wrong when it comes to all this stuff about touchid being easier than Face ID and you won’t ever understand that till you own a phone with Face ID.

Frankly while neither is difficult, Face ID has fully proven that throughout an entire day, it’s just better for overall use than Touch ID even if it’s a wash with unlocking the phone. Accessing apps with it is so much better, something you obviously have no real experience with since you do not own a phone with Face ID.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I used it for three years. If it’s not covering pretty much the entire sensor it doesn’t work. If it did for you then yours is broke. Have you ever used it? I am saying when you finger is only half or 3/4 covering the sensor which is easy to do it you are randomly grabbing your phone in your pocket or not looking at it while it’s sitting on a desk, which is what people here seem to be claiming makes touchid work better.

While I agree you have every right to just flat out not like the looks or style of the phone, you really are just wrong when it comes to all this stuff about touchid being easier than Face ID and you won’t ever understand that till you own a phone with Face ID.

Frankly while neither is difficult, Face ID has fully proven that throughout an entire day, it’s just better for overall use than Touch ID even if it’s a wash with unlocking the phone. Accessing apps with it is so much better, something you obviously have no real experience with since you do not own a phone with Face ID.

What you're claiming about touch ID is false.
It works fine without the need to cover the entire home sensor to unlock.
You can enter your fingerprints using various motions sideways, upside down, catching only the edges of your finger tips etc..
I do not have to buy one to understand that I do not like it and do not want to use face id.
Im not into taking 100 selfies a day to get in my phone or having to keep lifting up and holding the phone towards my face to unlock it like a little teenage girl. Its a huge step backwards to me using faceID. The sensor will never scan and unlock unless its in position within view of your face. That's a fact.
And I dont want to have to hold or keep lifting my device in order to unlock.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If it’s not covering pretty much the entire sensor it doesn’t work
To be fair, I just played around with it a number of times on my iPhone 7 and I can unlock it just with a tip of my finger making contact with some part of the home button, certainly not covering it all or even close to all of it.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Not trying to make a drawn out post.

Think of TouchID as if there was nothing to touch. Pretend like TouchID simply knows you when you pick up the phone.

That's it. You simply pick up the phone. This is a one step process.

Now FaceID. You have to pick up your phone, look at your phone, and swipe up. Three steps.

The reason why I ask you to forget that you are actually touching the TouchID button is because after a while of using the phone, the physical interaction of touching the button is integrated into the process of simply picking the phone up.

This is an analysis of physical interaction between the two technologies. One requires you to simply hold your phone while the other is a three step process which includes picking it up, physically placing it in front of your face, and then using your hand to gesture for unlock.

If we use the principle that any technology can improve by simplifying it's process, we can see that TouchID is actually the superior technology.

Strictly objective.
Have you actually used it for prolonged period of time? Because the way you describe it you make it sound like conscious actions that are to be undertaken. In reality that is simply not the case, well not in my experience...

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
You can enter your fingerprints using various motions sideways, upside down, catching only the edges of your finger tips etc..
I do not have to buy one to understand that I do not like it and do not want to use face id.
Im not into taking 100 selfies a day to get in my phone or having to keep lifting up and holding the phone towards my face to unlock it like a little teenage girl. Its a huge step backwards to me using faceID. The sensor will never scan and unlock unless its in position within view of your face. That's a fact.
This is why you need to use Face ID before you hate on it, everything you just said about it is completely ridiculous and untrue except for the fact that it has to be in view of your face. It honestly makes you sound ignorant when you say things like "taking 100 selfies a day to get into my phone" It makes it perfectly clear that you don't have any idea how good Face ID actually is and it makes your opinion incredibly easy to dismiss.
[doublepost=1510262839][/doublepost]
Yes, but you never know.
They might put out a revolutionary triangle screen phone because that rectangle stuff is starting to get boring :D
Also...

Office-Pyramid-tablet.jpg

DiveKitty

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2017

What are you talking about? None of this is true of Face ID. If you are going to get on others about "what you're claiming about Touch ID is false" maybe you should make damn sure what you are saying about Face ID isn't also false.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
This is why you need to use Face ID before you hate on it, everything you just said about it is completely ridiculous and untrue except for the fact that it has to be in view of your face. It honestly makes you sound ignorant when you say things like "taking 100 selfies a day to get into my phone" It makes it perfectly clear that you don't have any idea how good Face ID actually is and it makes your opinion incredibly easy to dismiss.
[doublepost=1510262839][/doublepost]
Also...

What is ridiculous is having to lift up my phone to a certain height, angle and distance from my face to get access to my phone.
Not happening, if you enjoy that then go for it.
Im not wasting my money on it ;)
Touch ID works great so if its not broken why fix it?
I dont plan to spend $1000+ on a beta experiment.

DiveKitty

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2017
What is ridiculous is having to lift up my phone to a certain height, angle and distance from my face to get access to my phone.
Not happening, if you enjoy that then go for it.
Im not wasting my money on it ;)
Touch ID works great so if its not broken why fix it?
I dont plan to spend $1000+ on a beta experiment.

Sure, if you had to do that to use Face ID it might be ridiculous. Except you don’t have to do that. You just...use and hold your phone as you would normally. There is no exaggerated “selfies” required.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Sure, if you had to do that to use Face ID it might be ridiculous. Except you don’t have to do that. You just...use and hold your phone as you would normally. There is no exaggerated “selfies” required.

Yes, but face id has many limitations and a certain hardware viewing angle and distance to be able to read your face and unlock.
It doesnt just unlock in a fraction of a second without even having to lift it up like touch ID and Im not willing to give that up for something that's more cumbersome and awkward to use.

PanAm-L1011

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Republic of California
The only vote that counts is the one you make with your wallet. I vow to never purchase the iPhone X, for Face-ID (and the removal of Home button, Touch-ID).

Well that’s too bad for you because after one week the X I’m so glad to be rid of Touch ID, the home button and big bezels. Hate to tell you, but the 8 and 8 Plus are going to be the last Apple phones to have those three things. The X is th future, the 8 is the past.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I was spectacle about Face ID but it’s mind of amazing.

I was very skeptical too. However after watching a friend use his iPhone X all night most of my skepticism is gone. It was unlocking quickly and accurately for him.

For the most part I really like TouchID however this time of year my hands start drying out and TouchID can get a little finicky. The fact I work with my hands doesn't help either.

At this point I have little worry about going to an iPhone with only FaceID. It will require a slight alteration here and there in my usage but I'm ok with that. With time I think I'll end up liking it better and future models should only get faster, more accurate and all around better.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
If it was just unlocking I might agree it didn’t need to be replaced - its still better than touchID but not a big difference.

But the other features it brings - not dimming the screen while you’re looking at it, automatically expanding private notifications, autofill passwords etc - make it a big step forward in overall phone usage IMO, and that will only improve going forward.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Yes, but face id has many limitations and a certain hardware viewing angle and distance to be able to read your face and unlock.
It doesnt just unlock in a fraction of a second without even having to lift it up like touch ID and Im not willing to give that up for something that's more cumbersome and awkward to use.

You’re talking like unlocking the phone is the only thing Face ID is used for. Every biometric secured app or settings menu now just opens without having to use Touch ID - I just tap my banking app icon and I’m in without any additional steps.
When I’m driving and use Siri, for certain functions he used to say “you’ll need to unlock your phone first” which would require Touch ID. Now I don’t need to take my hands off the wheel.

Reactions: DiveKitty

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
When I’m driving and use Siri, for certain functions he used to say “you’ll need to unlock your phone first” which would require Touch ID. Now I don’t need to take my hands off the wheel.

How do you not need to take your hands off the wheel when you need to lift up the phone and slide up?
So now instead of sticking your finger on the home you have to take your attention away from driving and bring up your phone and look at it.
That's definitely not an improvement and an accident waiting to happen.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
How do you not need to take your hands off the wheel when you need to lift up the phone and slide up?
So now instead of sticking your finger on the home you have to take your attention away from driving and bring up your phone and look at it.
That's definitely not an improvement and an accident waiting to happen.
Because I have it mounted to an air vent on the dash. When you’re using Siri to play music, call or text someone you don’t need to swipe. You just speak. I don’t have to take my hands off the steering wheel once. Just a quick glance to the side. Even less interaction than Touch ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.