Why FaceID is OBJECTIVELY a regressive technology

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oplix, Oct 31, 2017.

1. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Have you used the X/notch? In regards to next years, I'd imagine the larger X will be identical, just larger.

2. DanielDD, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

DanielDD macrumors 6502

I used it in store. The notch just makes the screen look not right, specially during OS animations. Is it too much to ask for a rectangle screen? How times have changed

3. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

At first you notice it, but eventually you just don't think about it. It grows on ya.

4. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

While I agree with your points, the one area that FaceID is a little annoying, at least for me, is not being able to just use my fingerprint to unlock and see the screen when the phone is on the desk and not at the right angle for FaceID to work. I then have to pick it up, which is not the end of the world, but it is a slight inconvenience. I love my iPhone X and wouldn't think of returning it, but there are some cases where TouchID is more convenient. But TouchID is toast and I will adjust.

5. PPCmike macrumors member

You Don't need to wait for the unlock icon I pull my phone out of my pocket by that time the screen is turned on I swipe up and it's unlocked far faster then touchID.. I have a feeling the way some people here are unlocking is what makes them think it's slower.

I would do a video but I'm sure it's been covered.

6. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

So in other word you are like many here who don’t own just post opinions over and over...Got it.

7. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

Would be a real feat in physics to put a camera and projector behind a screen. I think we are many years away from that.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that's what this public forum is about. Posting views, input and opinions.
    I know you dont like to hear it but guess what? We dont need to purchase it in order to have a discussion.
    Nice try though insinuating that only those that bought one can participate in the discussion :D

9. flat five, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

flat five macrumors 603

flat five

yes.. it's too much to ask.

look, more than 99% of phones have rectangle screens (way more).. if you want a rectangle screen-- it's so incredibly available that i can't comprehend your snarky "Is it too much to ask for a rectangle screen?"..

further-- the entire premise behind the X design is the rounded corners.. it's the foundation, or launching point, of the iPhone X design..
    at the start of this new design, the rounded corners were the very first thing that were absolutely going to end up on the finished product.

so yes, considering the vast amount of rectangular displays available to you.. and considering the very aspect that begins to shape the X into the X is a non-rectilinear display.. it IS too much for you to ask that the display be a rectangle.

almost to the point of being a ridiculous request.. i mean, why are you focused on one out of only a handful of non-rectangular phone screens and wanting it to be square cornered?

if your requirement is to have a rectangular screen, why are you even worried about or paying attention to a phone with rounded corners?

10. nexesnex macrumors regular

I personally am happy that the home button is gone. The iPhone X feels much more intuitive... That is, except for the stupid double press of the side button for purchases. They need to fix that.

11. redpandadev macrumors member

As an owner of an iPhone X, my experience is dramatically different. I find FaceID to be an absolute pleasure to use and require much less action than TouchID. I also find it to fail much less.

To unlock device:
    Touch ID:
    1) Pick up phone
    2) Push home button
    3)Half the time get frustrated because a) it failed to read my finger print or b) passed by the lock screen I wanted to look at

FaceID:
    1) pick up phone
    2) swipe up for home screen if desired
    3) there is no 3 - it has worked for me every time

The pick up phone and look at phone step happens simultaneously and the swipe up also happens simultaneously if I want it to. There is no need to wait for FaceID to unlock before swiping.

Other gestures I just get used to. Password auto fill / app logins with face if just require me to be looking at the phone. Apple Pay and other purchases just require a double tap of side button.

It just works. Better faster and more natural than I could have ever imagined.

12. eltoslightfoot macrumors regular

eltoslightfoot

Same here.

13. DanielDD macrumors 6502

I'm worried because I like the Apple ecosystem and in a couple of years Apple will sell no phones with a rectangular screen. Forgive me for thinking ahead

14. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

thing is this..
    unless the device is also rectangular, using a display that is the same shape as the frame will always yield the largest screen which can then be cropped/letter-boxed to a rectangle if you choose or if the software allows..

going the other way won't work.. you can't extend content out into the rounded corners of the device if there is no screen there to extend into.

rounding the corners of the display on a device with a rounded perimeter allows the maximum amount of potential content area.

unless, of course, you'd prefer a phone with pointy corners in which case, a rectangular screen would be the way to maximize the display area.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, but you never know.
    They might put out a revolutionary triangle screen phone because that rectangle stuff is starting to get boring :D

16. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

why?
    a triangle doesn’t handhold well nor go in the pocket well.

neither does a true rectangle (90° corners)... i mean, look at credit cards for example.. they have round corners now as well.. they’re more functional/ user friendly that way

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You never know till you actually use it and you shouldnt judge it unless you buy one :D
    It could be magical :D

18. DanielDD, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

DanielDD macrumors 6502

I said I could get past the rounded corners, but not the notch. The notch made stay away from this phone.
    Either way, your post assumes people value maximisation of display area over anything else. And that is not true. People can value a freaking normal screen more than a completely bezel-less phone. In fact, some people even consider phones with high screen-to-body ratio weirdly designed.

19. Newjackboy macrumors 6502

No the only reason they made the 8 - was to be able to charge much much more for the X
    No reason this could not have been the exact same price the 7 plus was last year

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Personally I dont care if the bezels are there and I like the rounded corners.
    It doesnt bother me at all if the screen is slightly smaller or the device slightly taller to accommodate the hardware needed up there.
    As long as the viewable/touchscreen area is even across.

21. yanksfan114 macrumors regular

How does placing your finger on the sensor and pressing the home button not count as steps? You’re skewing what a step is to make your point.

22. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

The frustration isn't that you're discussing a device you don't have. The frustration is seeing you spew the same, worn-out, tired, debunked crap as if it's fact over and over and over and over and over. You don't know what you're talking about, yet you keep spreading misinformation as fact. Clearly you either have some heavy duty reading comprehension issues or are deliberately trying to stir the pot. My money is squarely on the second option.

23. inkahauts macrumors regular

I’m not talking about orientation, I am talking about getting your finger on it enough for it to get a good reading. If your finger isn’t covering the sensor enough you have to readjust and it takes longer.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know what Im talking about and I know what I like and I do not like.
    There's nothing debunked when it comes to personal choice and preference and that's a fact.
    You're just self conscious that people do not agree with your view on how great your new iphone X is and need further validation for your $1000+ purchase.
    Have a great day :D

25. inkahauts macrumors regular

Yeah, my only suggestion is to unlock it then place it in the holder. Please let us know how it goes, I’m curious myself.