Why FaceID is OBJECTIVELY a regressive technology

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oplix, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's false.
    Touch ID works upside down and by hitting the sides of your finger since it takes all that into memory for later comparison and unlock.
    On my i7 the home indentation is there on the bottom so I dont need to figgle much to find where to place my finger ;)

2. ronincse macrumors regular

ronincse

I'm sure this has been said already but I don't want to go through all the pages of this thread.

Anyways with FaceID to unlock my phone I pick it up and swipe up, or if there is a notification I want to open I just tap it. I cannot overstate how much simpler FaceID is than TouchID was and how much less I actually think about it. I have seen others claim that it's basically like going back to our naive days on not using a passcode to lock out phones and I totally agree.

3. gtg465x macrumors regular

gtg465x

Um... wouldn't you be looking at your phone anyways, even with Touch ID? Also, you forgot that you have to press the home button with Touch ID to get to the home screen, which is equivalent to having to swipe up to get to the home screen with Face ID.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2017 ---
    My iPhone 7 Plus never wanted to unlock when I put my thumb on the home button sideways, like when I was in landscape mode. Always had to turn it to portrait. I think I had to fiddle just as much to get my finger in the right spot as I do to get my face in the right spot. That's my experience. Maybe it was different for others. I do wash my hands more than the average person, so maybe the dryness of my finger made Touch ID more finicky.

4. brianric macrumors regular

It's a Pro Clip car mount, USB cable is always connected to the USB port. The lighting section of the cable is permanently attached to the bottom of the holder. Right now I'm using the holder from my 7 Plus. I'm waiting for the X holder to be available.
    https://www.proclipusa.com/product/top-adjustable-iphone-holder-for-lightning-to-usb-cable

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It works fine sideways and upside down for years.
    When you enter your fingerprint in setup with rest and repeat you have to move it around and enter it upside down, sideways and at all different angles. Then it will read it fine.
    Lifting you phone to a certain angle and height for the phone to read your face is a lot more fiddling and more of a pain.

6. Raist3001, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

Raist3001 macrumors 6502

Raist3001

No need to click with touch ID. By the time my phone is removed from my pocket, my phone is unlocked.

No need to look at the screen at all with TouchID or press the home button.

No need to pick up my phone at all with TouchID. Rest my finger and my phone is unlocked.

This thread alone has many misconceptions in regards to FaceID, but there are just as many misconceptions regarding TouchID. I don't have an iPhone X, but Personally, I see no real issue with FaceID, nor do I perceive myself to having issues with FaceID.

7. Hoosier317 Suspended

Hoosier317

...then why bother unlocking it? :rolleyes:

8. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Pick up the phone and swipe....
    That's it.
    But I understand it could be pretty darn frustrating for all these who love to use the phone with their eyes closed or want to look somewhere else while using the phone.

Jesus....

9. DanielDD macrumors 6502

It's not about real estate. It is about symmetry of the display

10. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

For people who prefer Touch ID, that's totally fine, but Face ID works really well and it's the future. Touch ID will be gone from any future iPhone's made. We don't need to go back and forth with a million different scenarios where one solution is .3 seconds faster than the other. This goes for both ends of the argument. Let's just move on.

11. jimmy_uk macrumors regular

jimmy_uk

With no buttons how would you force reboot when the device is playing up?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You have to look at it and wink 3 times :D

13. Raist3001 macrumors 6502

Raist3001

No need to look at the phone with TouchID to unlock it. It's already unlocked before pulling the phone out of my pocket.

14. DiveKitty, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

DiveKitty macrumors 6502

I think his point is why bother unlocking it at all if you are not going to look at it eventually? You can't really count "looking at your phone" as some sort of extra step over Touch ID because even with Touch ID the assumption is you are unlocking it to look at your phone.

People keep breaking down Face ID as if it is all these oh-so-difficult extra steps over Touch ID: you need to look, then swipe, or whatever. But no, it is isn't like that. You just swipe it and at some point before, after, or even during the swipe vaguely look at your phone (to the degree depends on the attentiveness setting). You can even swipe it as you remove it from your pocket so it is ready when you go to look at it and it will unlock.

If one wants to carry around a phone and never look at it but likes to just randomly unlock it while it is in their pocket, then I agree, Touch ID is the technology for them.

15. Raist3001 macrumors 6502

Raist3001

I understood his point. Eventually needing to look at my phone does not equate to needing to look at my phone to unlock. That was my point. But I agree that these steps are being discussed as though they are so difficult. Change is always a difficult thing to accept :)

16. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

It actually surpassed my expectations, it catches my face from just about any angle, and pretty close to 100% of the time I simple just swipe up right away and it is unlocked, where capturing my face isn't really a step at all since I'm looking at the screen ready to use it as I normally would barring if FaceID was there or not

17. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

Exactly. The different action is really only the swipe instead of placing a finger on the home button. Looking at your phone is the same action you would do in either case. It is not even something I think about as I just swipe at some point and either it unlocks immediately as it has already seen my face before or during the swipe, or it unlocks as soon as I bring it up to look at it as I have already swiped it.

18. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

So you would rather a section of the screen being fixed as a status bar as long as the screen is a complete rectangle. The iPhone 8 is for you, and Apple made sure to update it with most everything the X has. Unlike old Apple, you do have options.

19. MilesF101 macrumors newbie

MilesF101

Sorry, this is total rubbish. You're basically saying "Forget you have to do anything with touchID"
    You say Face ID is a 3 step process.
    So is Touch ID: Pickup phone, place finger on senser, press home button. 3 steps again.
    Forget because its part of the process of simply picking up the phone?
    So is FaceID. That's part of the process of picking up the phone.

I'll acknowledge that TouchID is slightly faster at recognition. But think back to the first version of TouchID. That was not as quick. That took roughly the same time as FaceID does now.

I personally think its much more convenient. With raise to wake, I grab my phone and by the time I have it in front of my face, its awake and already unlocked. I can pick it up however I want. Don't have to touch the sensor. Its then unlocked without doing anything technically apart from picking it up. I then just swipe up for home. Like you use to press for home.

Its a lot better with Apple Pay and App Store.

Your right in the sense that the actual authorisation part takes fractionally longer. But this is the first version of FaceID. TouchID was the same at the beginning.

20. Dunbar macrumors 6502a

It’s definitely not as fast as TouchID for unlocking the phone. With TouchID all you need to do is set your thumb on the home button as you’re pulling the phone out of your pocket and it’s unlocked by the time you can see the screen. FaceID does save the time in other applications (banking app, password manager, app downloads). Once FaceID works as fast as TouchID I don’t think anybody will lament the loss of TouchID.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

I'm almost thinking that Apple didn't quite introduce/market Face ID the way it should have been or was meant to be: it sounds like they really should have said that people should just use their phone as they normally would and the unlocking would take care of itself on its own as people use their phone and look at it as part of their use. Basically it's not really much different form swiping to unlock that used to be there before. People shouldn't think about the part of needing to look at the phone or specifically have that as some sort of a "step", but basically just know that to unlock they need to swipe up and as part of that process the phone gets unlocked as they start looking at it (which they would do if they are using it).

22. Raist3001 macrumors 6502

Raist3001

Is there a security reason why the swipe up is there in order to access the home screen after the faceID unlock?

23. DanielDD macrumors 6502

That's why I got the 8 Plus. I can stand the curved screen corners, but I sure hope Apple will have the technology to put FaceID behind the display before I need to upgrade again.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I would take that option any day over the "ears" or "notch".
    If next years model is also the same thing as the current X then Im probably going with an 8 Plus;)

25. FoxD macrumors 6502

No way that I could go back to Touch ID. Face ID is so fast opening secure apps. Love it. Easily beats expectations.