Why so angry?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TonyBaloney, Oct 2, 2011.

1. TonyBaloney macrumors regular

I noticed a trend recently in the forums. A lot of people seem like they would be really pissed if there is no redesigned iPhone 5 announced at the media event. My question is why? A new iPhone is a new iPhone. I would understand if no new iPhone was announced AT ALL. But whats wrong with a 4S? I thought the iPhone 4 was great. The iPhone 4S is simply a better version of an already great phone. Seriously whats with some of these people saying they are going to go to Android or something if there is no iPhone 5? Relax!

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

A year and a half just to come up with an upgraded SoC unit and RAM sounds too little too late.

3. Zeonmx macrumors member

Because they have a different opinion from yours.

4. cward0715 macrumors regular

Because android phones are getting sleeker and more capable. The screen size is outdated, and lacks hardware that many androids have.

5. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

iPhone5 tapered design would be interesting but I'm in the same boat as you.

iPhone4 design was so revolutionary and sleek, I don't see why they should change it but of course the 4S should have all of the 5 upgrades minus the design of course.

As long as people cradle the iPhone like a silver spoon , there shouldn't be any complaints against it!!!

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

Actually, this isn't a recent trend. This is typical. You should have seen the rage that people were displaying over the whole Sandy Bridge MBP delay debacle.

7. LoganT macrumors 68020

So if in 2010 Apple had come out with an iPhone 4 that looked exactly like the 3GS/3G, but had improved specs, you would be fine with that?

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I kind of agree. I will be getting the new phone regardless whether its a redesign or just a 4 with upgraded internals. However I am hoping for a redesign even if everything is pointing to 4s only.

Nothing apple put out could push me into buying an android phone. yuck.

9. TonyBaloney, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

TonyBaloney thread starter macrumors regular

If they do come out with an iPhone 5 then great! But i just don't see the big deal is if they don't. I understand people have different opinions. My question was really more about why they felt the way that they did. If the phone is updated to specs of similar phones of today but looks the same, what is the difference? It seems like people are thinking a real update only occurs if it looks different.

10. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Here's why I would be a bit pissed off.

It's been a long time since the IPhone 4 came out. There has been plenty of time for Apple to redesign the IPhone and all the necessary parts are in the market for the next phone to be amazing. I've had all the IPhones and quite frankly Its possible I would lose my patience with another internal update with no housing redesign and bump in screen size. A lot of other manufacturers are pushing the envelope in terms of hardware and Apple have fell behind somewhat.

Surely if you're an Apple executive you must realise that a redesign will attract the most attention and sales. They don't have to redesign it but I think it will be a mistake to do a spec bump this year. Back when they did it with the 3GS the market was not the same as it is now so they had a comfort zone. The amount of alternatives now puts Apple in a bad position if it's not a redesign.

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

People come to MacRumors and go nuts discussing all of the possible Apple announcements and iPhone features.

Then Apple announces any subset of those products or features and people go nuts because some of the possibilities didn't come to pass!

12. ryuok macrumors regular

Too late for what?

----------

Then why don't you get a Samsung then? Go ahead.

13. TonyBaloney thread starter macrumors regular

I honestly wouldn't really care. Because I thought the 3G design was better than the original. If I never saw iPhone 4, then I wouldn't know what I was missing :) That being said, are you saying that most people that want an iPhone 5 don't really care for the design of the iPhone 4? Because thats a legitimate reason. Its just no one was really saying that.

14. Chaggi macrumors member

because we all expect Apple to push the boundaries of design and technology. They've had a lot of time to design a new one, and it would suck if only came with minor upgrades.

15. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

It's simple, really...

Some unfortunates simply have no sense of humor.

No ability to appreciate the nuances of sarcasm.

They are so over invested in Apple emotionally, that the slightest thing will set them off.

They live life relying on having an enemy to hate.

Some people are not comfortable in the absence of fighting and chaos.

They fail to understand what a conversation consists of.

It's as simple as that.

16. ryuok macrumors regular

Bad position? iPhone 4 is still the best selling phone today.

17. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

It's because it's what the rumor mill has lead them to believe.

18. brodas macrumors regular

I think the mayor argument is the screen size cause most people want a bigger screen and there is a lot of people that don't want change and bash android and there huge phones without even trying one. Most Apple fan boys just want apple to keep doing what they being doing but the truth is that apple neds to do a new design every year they need to stay competitive bacause they only release 1 phone a year

19. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Well many more people are now considering leaving the IPhone for something else if it's not a redesign. Sometimes it gets a bit ridiculous when you have to wait a year to get a flash for a camera. The IPhone 4 was a big update but they can do more. I think some people want to see Apple do well and by not redesigning the phone it would feel like the potential was not met.

Look at some of the phones out now and coming up. They are incredible and I jut want Apple to do well and beat everyone else AGAIN!!

20. peperoni macrumors member

Too late to be competent offering at least for me. I've liked using my iPhone, but I see it's becoming a bit stale. Two years ago 3Gs was the only choice, but now there's lots of good phones and OSs to choose form. I really would like to continue using iPhone and iOS, but on the other hand I am buying a new phone preferably with bigger screen and quality camera. I won't be angry if Apple releases sub par device (according to my needs), but if it don't deliver I won't buy it.

21. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

They get angry because some selfish users say that they should use an iPad or go get Android phone, when all they want is bigger screen.

They get angry because they have tried so long to tell Apple what they want, and they get the impression that Apple isn't listening.

22. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Exactly. I don't get why people jump to defend mediocrity? If they could make a mind-blowing phone, why settle for an average one. I will be voting with my wallet either way, and I'm hoping Apple pulls out a great phone, not just a good one.

23. ryuok macrumors regular

If it's not for you it's not for you. Apple is a vision, Samsung is a product. Have fun in the Samsung camp.

24. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

This is what I think. Everything is available for Apple to make an amazing redesigned phone. Just a spec upgrade would feel to me like they have not met what they can do. I'm happy to have 1 phone a year or longer just as long as it meets my expectations based on what Apple can do.

25. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

Many of us don't believe the iPhone 4 is a great phone. Compared to other phones on the market it:

1. Isn't built durably (fragile glass on the front and the back with no bezel to protect the edges -- the most vulnerable spot on tempered glass -- from direct shattering impacts).

2. Isn't comfortable in the hand (square shape doesn't fit curved hands and the glass is slippery, especially in clammy hands)

3. Has documented signal attenuation issues

4. Has a small screen

Consumer Reports wouldn't even recommend the iP4.

So yes, there is some anger that Apple would continue to use the same design.