Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Call me crazy, but I actually WISH the Storm would be an iPhone "killer." This would be good competition for Apple and they would realize that they need to fix some of the easily-fixable flaws in the iPhone to stay competitive.

I could care less about Iphone Killers as long as my phone does what it's suppose to do. I don't need reassurance that I bought a great product. If I like it..that enough.

It just don't make sense. Apple has never competed with anyone, they compete with themselves. Why else would they have removed firewire from their macbook, or taken away matte displays? Why haven't they added copy and paste or MMS? They don't care and no holy grail phone or computer will ever change their mind.

Tenorsaw

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
I could care less about Iphone Killers as long as my phone does what it's suppose to do. I don't need reassurance that I bought a great product. If I like it..that enough.

It just don't make sense. Apple has never competed with anyone, they compete with themselves. Why else would they have removed firewire from their macbook, or taken away matte displays? Why haven't they added copy and paste or MMS? They don't care and no holy grail phone or computer will ever change their mind.

The thing is that the iPhone has set the standard. Consider it to be the 'reference' phone.That's why when a new 'does all' phone comes out, it's immediately compared to the iPhone.

It's just like when a new 'ultimate' flat panel TV comes out, it's immediately compared to the Pioneer Kuro.

macbookairapple

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008
It's going to be hard to knock off the iphone as "the must have phone". Apple may not be selling the most phones like Nokia or whomever but they are making a lot of money, even more more than some companies who sell more phones. It's not just about features anymore, you need to come with a combination that knocks off the iphone's OS, the integration between hardware and software, and the big juggernaut, Itunes, I just don't see anyone doing that, at least for the foreseeable future.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
I just hope the Storm is enough like the iPHone to make me happy. Had to give up my iPhone and ATT service about 3 weeks ago and signed up with Verizon.

I went to get a Storm today (have Voyager now) but they were sold out. They said the store only got 20 units!!! Im in a city of about 375,000, a metro area of 6 million (Dallas/Fort Worth) and this brand new VZ store only got 20 units?!?!?! Anyway, they said they are bringing over a few units tomorrow from another store and I was promised one if Im there by 9am

Anyway, I dont care so much if the Storm is better than the iPhone, I just want it to be a good alternative since I cant use iPhone with VZ.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
I was out and about so I figured I would check out the new storm.

My first impression was that it *looks* pretty good. Then I picked it up and fooled around with it and I was really disappointed. To begin with, once you navigate beyond the pretty skin, it doesn't look so pretty anymore. I found the buttons to be less than intuitive. I'm sure I could figure it out, given enough time, but it wasn't worth the investment. Web pages loaded fairly quickly but scrolling through them was really laggy. I also noticed a considerable amount of lag in general. Email looked clunky. One of the biggest things I disliked is having to actually depress virtual buttons. It seems to 'kinda defeat the purpose of having a touch screen. Also, it doesn't auto-correct like the iPhone. When you put your finger over a button, you can't really see it or the one to the right or left and without the auto-correction features, I found myself making a lot of corrections. Too much work for me.

IMO, there is *no* comparison with the iPhone. Judge for yourself.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
This is what gets me:

Admiral H review said:
For consumers, getting all the data onto your BlackBerry Storm, requires Microsoft Outlook Express, BlackBerry Desktop Manager, Roxio Mobile Media Manager, iTunes and BlackBerry Media Sync. You need all of them if you want to get your calendar, contacts, photos, music and videos onto your device.
That, along with the lack of WiFi, is astounding to me. I wouldn't use one if I got it for free.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
This is what gets me:

That, along with the lack of WiFi, is astounding to me. I wouldn't use one if I got it for free.

In all fairness I think this is a bit exaggerated to make the point. If you want to put pics and music on the phone, you can treat it like a mass usb device. Just drag and drop what you want onto the memory card. I know, all of you will poo-poo that that method isnt "syncing." Ive been an iPod user since the first 10gb and had many, many variations and an iPhone and have never synced music. I have alwayed used the drag/drop method since my music library has always been bigger than the device Im using.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
I don't really know the true definition of "push" because I really don't care but I will say this.....

I have a Cox account and a Gmail account set up on my iPhone. When I get mail on either of these accounts, they come directly to my iPhone and I get an alert letting me know they are there. So, I'm not quite sure what you are looking for beyond this?
And how exactly do you have this set up?

I have had Gmail email for 4 years and have had the iPhone since the day it came out.

Still not getting true push email.

Care to share what you know that none of us don't?

Because, as far as I know, NO PHONE does push email except for a Blackberry.

And when I had that garbage known as Mobile Me, and had Push turned on, my better drained FOUR TIMES as fast.

Just facts.

But please do share your revolutionary set up that allows you to get push Gmail.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
i mean real push.

uh, the iphone does wannabe ****** push heheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheehhehe

whats real push then?
it takes me less than 5 seconds from when an email is sent until I recieve it
why could you possibly ever need it to go faster?

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008

I have had Gmail email for 4 years and have had the iPhone since the day it came out.

And when I had that garbage known as Mobile Me, and had Push turned on, my better drained FOUR TIMES as fast.

Just facts.

But please do share your revolutionary set up that allows you to get push Gmail.

if 4 times as fast still means it lasts a full day at LEAST, then id venture to say that the battery life on the iPhone would have to be at least twice what they claim it is

you exaggerate quite a bit

SmartIndianKid

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2008
This is what gets me:

Again, what you quoted is not true.

Syncing everything you have to your Blackberry is as simple as the Desktop Manager (or Pocketmac for Mac), and your contact manager (Outlook on Windows or Address Book on Mac).

Photos, Videos and Music on the Blackberry is as simple as a drag and drop. No iTunes, Roxio, or Media Sync required. Manage your media at your convenience.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Again, what you quoted is not true.

Syncing everything you have to your Blackberry is as simple as the Desktop Manager (or Pocketmac for Mac), and your contact manager (Outlook on Windows or Address Book on Mac).

Photos, Videos and Music on the Blackberry is as simple as a drag and drop. No iTunes, Roxio, or Media Sync required. Manage your media at your convenience.

Syncing everything with iTunes for my iPhone is fun, cool, and better.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Syncing everything with iTunes for my iPhone is fun, cool, and better.

Syncing a BlackBerry using PocketMac is just as easy and fun as using iTunes to sync an iPhone. I have all my photos in folders on my BB just exactly the same way as they appear on my iPhone. Music and videos are just as easy. Same with syncing contacts. Click sync and it syncs everything.

macbookairapple

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008
Syncing a BlackBerry using PocketMac is just as easy and fun as using iTunes to sync an iPhone. I have all my photos in folders on my BB just exactly the same way as they appear on my iPhone. Music and videos are just as easy. Same with syncing contacts. Click sync and it syncs everything.
Right but you have to pay for this, while itunes is free.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

There are two reasons the storm isn't in the same league as the iphone. The first is safari, which the article covers pretty well. Once you've browsed on the iPhone, no other mobile device comes close. Second is the app store. My iPhone is a mobile gaming device, an ebook reader, a budget tool, a flash drive (on which I can view the files) and so much more. Unless and until someone else offers the quality and scale of apps, it's not even a close fight. To be fair, the storm does many things well, including some the iPhone does not, and I don't think the article fairly covers those things. But not only does the iPhone have many things built in that the storm doesn't, it also has hundreds more uses, thanks to the app store.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
if 4 times as fast still means it lasts a full day at LEAST, then id venture to say that the battery life on the iPhone would have to be at least twice what they claim it is

you exaggerate quite a bit
No, not much. Maybe three times.

I used to have to charge every night.

Now, if I wanted to, I can go three days.

With the same exact usage.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
Second is the app store. My iPhone is a mobile gaming device, an ebook reader, a budget tool, a flash drive (on which I can view the files) and so much more. Unless and until someone else offers the quality and scale of apps, it's not even a close fight. To be fair...

Actually, to be fair the iPhone did not have the app store at release. So you cant really compare a fully mature iPhone with a brand new Storm, which has yet to roll out their app store.

Now that said, I just got my Storm this morning. Ummm, lets just say that if I could Id run back to my iPHone in a heartbeat. Just basic navigation, going from menu to menu, app to app causes some serious freezing and lag. I had 4 pics on my memory card. Trying to swipe from one to the next caused a several minute freeze up also. Needless to say, they need to RUSH out an update to fix some of these basic problems.

Tenorsaw

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008

Just facts.

You're totally wrong here. Windows Mobile does push email just fine, as does the iPhone on Exchange.

Mobile Me works fine as well. Maybe it's an issue with your phone. Both Mobile Me and Exchange are on my iPhone and receive email as quickly as my BB. Battery life is fine as well.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Now that said, I just got my Storm this morning. Ummm, lets just say that if I could Id run back to my iPHone in a heartbeat. Just basic navigation, going from menu to menu, app to app causes some serious freezing and lag. I had 4 pics on my memory card. Trying to swipe from one to the next caused a several minute freeze up also. Needless to say, they need to RUSH out an update to fix some of these basic problems.

From reading other forums...

Apparently Verizon had to downgrade the OS just before launch, for some unknown reason. The downgraded version is much slower. Hopefully they'll get a fix out soon.

Don't know why everyone feels they need to rush stuff out before being really tested. This reminds me of just about every other iPhone update :rolleyes:

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
Overall, if the OS worked smoothly I think they have a great product here. The OS seems like an alpha version, not even beta. Its nowhere near done.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
I checked out the Storm today. I am not very impressed. Maybe i am not custom to the blackberry way of doing things (i have used curve's, and pearl's). I enjoy the large screen, its very bright. I think that it navigates pretty decent in the web browser right out of the box.

However. The OS is horrendous, the push down keyboard would be like typeing on my macbook pro trackpad all day. Like imagine little keys and press down on the new macbook trackpads, thats exactly how it is to type.

iPhone> G1 > Storm> Instinct

networks: verizon>ATT> Sprint> TMobile

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.