Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Over the last few years my household has converted to the Apple ecosystem, with the exception of my phone. It is now time for me to upgrade and I am eagerly waiting to see if all of the rumors and confirmed facts come together on release day for the I Phone 6.

Although some do not find the simultaneous voice and data important or useful, I have found it useful in the way that I use my phone. There were a few things that prevented me from getting an IPhone earlier:

-I wanted to customize my phone (now that I have gotten older, I don't have the desire or the time it takes to do this anymore)
-I wanted a larger screen (Apple now gives me that option)
-I really like the Swype keyboard (it is my understanding this could be a possibility with the IPhone 6)
-I want to be able talk and surf (if Verizon implements VoLTE this should be addressed shortly). Being able to hear directions in my earpiece while I am on a call is useful to me. Also, I often pass the time while I am in carpool line by tethering my IPad to my phone and talking on the phone. While we are traveling by car, my boys get frustrated if they are tethered to his phone to play games or downloading a book on their tablets and he needs to take a call in the middle of the download. My husband has to take a lot of calls. We use my phone sometimes, but I don't have unlimited data requiring me to be careful.

Apple addressed providing a shortcut to settings earlier.

Does anyone know more about Verizon's roll-out of VoLTE? I read the article on this site, but could not get a handle on how wide-spread the roll-out will be. I am excited that this could be the solution to my desire to have simultaneous talk and data.

Thanks.
I could be off on this part, but I recall that even with VoLTE rolled out the phones have to support that too, and the current generation of phones don't.

Brandermill533

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
I could be off on this part, but I recall that even with VoLTE rolled out the phones have to support that too, and the current generation of phones don't.

If I get an IPhone, I will go for the IPhone 6. I believe it will support VoLTE. Now I could be wrong, but it seems like I read the IPhone 5s and maybe the IPhone 5c would support it with an software update. Not sure about this. I will have to go back and see where I read this.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Will the Verizon iPhone 6 be able to surf and talk at the same time?

Ah, that's where the confusion came in.

SVDO does not require Rev B.

Rev B was only about speed.

I see, and you are correct. SVDO went commercial with EVDO Rev. A and EVDO Rev. B. in 2011, according to this press release from Qualcomm:

https://www.qualcomm.com/media/documents/files/rev-b-enhanced-mobile-broadband-for-all.pdf

It falls under CDMA 1x Advanced. SVDO applies to 3G (EV-DO) networks only. A different but related standard - SVLTE - applies to 4G LTE data networks only.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
can the just announced Iphone 6 be able to surf and talk at the same time?
thank you

MatthewStorm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Chapel Hill
nobody knows.

Yes, people know.

The iPhone 6 is XLTE and can talk and text at the same time.

----------

The iPhone 5 and 5s are technically capable of it now. Verizon needs to deploy VoLTE however, for it to work.

This is entirely a network limitation, and not something Apple can compensate for no matter how many antennas they put in the thing. It's possible that this could be supported on VoLTE. IT depends on just how backward compatible Verizon's VoLTE ends up being with CDMA. My guess is you probably won't see this ability on Verizon for a really, really long time.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I conference call on Verizon all the time. Is this only the iPhone on Verizon that can't do it?

----------

You are missing the point. I am not talking about that nor did I bring up LTE. Not all LTE phones can do this.

Yes, all Android LTE devices do this.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Yes, people know.

----------

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I conference call on Verizon all the time. Is this only the iPhone on Verizon that can't do it?

----------

Yes, all Android LTE devices do this.

Verizon is limited to only 3 person conference calling. It's a CDMA limitation. GSM networks can do more.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Yes, people know.

You realize that post was made in March 2014 correct? No one knew the specs back then. Plus, talk and data (not text) at the same time require the phone and network to support VoLTE (Voice over LTE) since VZW LTE is GSM, the talk or text limitation of CDMA doesn't exist as long as both are going over LTE. This has nothing to do with XLTE, if it did the 5s and 5c would support VoLTE already. They do not. XLTE is strictly about data speeds, much like AT&Ts "4G" (HSPA+) network.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
http://www.verizonwireless.com/news...on-wireless-volte-national-rollout-plans.html

Based the article above, I think the following conditions need to be met in order for you to surf while talking on a Verizon iPhone 6:

1. Verizon has flipped the switch to make VoLTE live (Has this happened yet anywhere?)
2. Both people on the call are in an LTE coverage area (What if they are using another carrier's phone? For example, is AT&T's VoLTE compatible with Verizon's?)
3. Both people have VoLTE-enabled phones

If this is the case, seems as if the ability to talk/surf is contingent upon a lot at this point and quite limited

imdlink

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2014
Surf & Talk, Conference Calling Verizon iPhone 6

From what I've read over the past few weeks, the roll-out of VOLTE will not completely resolve the limitations of the iPhone 6 for Verizon. In order to talk and surf on VOLTE without wifi, the caller and recipient would both have to have a VOLTE capable phone, be in a VOLTE coverage area and be on the same network, in this case Verizon. If any of these requirements are not met, talk and surf will remain as it is currently with existing Verizon iPhones, limited to a wifi connection.

In regards to conference calling functionality with more than 3 people, I'm really unsure if VOLTE will have any impact on this. Until VOLTE is everywhere and inter-operable between all carriers, CDMA technology will come into play which will limit the features of conference calling. GSM handles this differently and this gives ATT/T-Mobile users more options in regards to advanced conference calling.

I personally switched to Verizon at the beginning of the year due to coverage issues with ATT within my home despite having a Micro-cell. Calls continued to drop even with full signal. Since I work from home occasionally, I needed a needed stronger signal and made the decision to switch to Verizon. The experience with the Verizon iPhone has been painful at times. It's easy to take for granted talk and surf and advanced conferencing calling features when you don't have them after switching carriers. With that being the case, I'll be going back to ATT on 9/19 with the iPhone 6 and will work on an alternative for reliable home service coverage.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Im waiting till next week till everyone on verizon gets the phone and realizes its the same thing again with the iphone on their network not capable of using carrier data and making calls at the same time.:D
It could happen when verizon starts enabling VoLTE in certain markets and the phone is at a coverage area with VoLTE enabled. Currently VoLTE is NOT enabled on verizon. XLTE and VoLTE are totally different.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Im waiting till next week till everyone on verizon gets the phone and realizes its the same thing again with the iphone on their network not capable of using carrier data and making calls at the same time.:D
It could happen when verizon starts enabling VoLTE in certain markets and the phone is at a coverage area with VoLTE enabled. Currently VoLTE is NOT enabled on verizon. XLTE and VoLTE are totally different.
Vast majority of those on Verizon with iPhones already live with that limitation and either don't even care or are OK putting up with it. It's not going to be a shock for them that this new phone won't be able to do what their previous one wasn't.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Vast majority of those on Verizon with iPhones already live with that limitation and either don't even care or are OK putting up with it. It's not going to be a shock for them that this new phone won't be able to do what their previous one wasn't.

Its going to a shock to those that think this new iphone can do it.
Cause clearly there's many that think the iphone 6 will be able to do what the previous iphones didn't on their network.

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
in the iPhone 6 launch presentation tim cook clearly says

"volte launches with the iPhone" with the verizon logo on the screen

so I'm hoping yes or soon after

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Its going to a shock to those that think this new iphone can do it.
Cause clearly there's many that think the iphone 6 will be able to do what the previous iphones didn't on their network.
What's clear is that there doesn't seem to be any larger number of people suddenly thinking that the new phone can do it. So yeah it won't be any different than before.

Starrbuck

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
"Hold on a minute. I need to look up something on my phone. I'll call you right back!"

Problem solved.

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
When I had AT&T service and a BlackBerry 9000 I found simultaneous voice + data to be a very handy feature and I didn't realize how much I used it until I left AT&T for Sprint. I'd be talking to a client or coworker and they'd say "Hey, I just sent you that PDF. What do you think of page 2?" I could read the newly delivered document while talking to the sender.

I've learned to live without that feature but I sure do miss it. It would come in handy for me almost once per day, sometimes even more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.