Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you be buying the new iPod touch?

• Total voters

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
The 32GB model is great value for money for the kids as a video/music/game/app/e-mail/internet device and even use FaceTime or Skype or chat with iMessage or Telegram.

Exactly my thoughts. I have two girls (5 & 7) who would love to have their own "iPhone" like mommy and daddy do. It's a great size for them and they don't need GPS or Touch ID so missing those features does not matter if Apple's target audience is kids for this.

I actually really like the 4" size still even with having the iPhone 6. The red is tempting...

djpraize

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2008
NC
Picked up a 128 GB Gold last night at the Apple Store. I am not in constant Wi-Fi, I have a large music collection, and needed the capacity for playing music on my long road trips in the car. I don't like using my phone for streaming because I don't have that kind of data plan. Plus I have been waiting on higher capacities. I'll probably use it at the gym as well. I haven't set it up completely, but it looks stunning and solid. I do anticipate this being the last iPod I own however.

noorunnahar

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2015
Karachi , Pakistan
Does anyone know if 16GB of iPod Touch 6 has two cameras? Since 5th gen didn't have two camera in 16 GB. I want to buy it but I am afraid if it turns out with one camera only :/

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
Does anyone know if 16GB of iPod Touch 6 has two cameras? Since 5th gen didn't have two camera in 16 GB. I want to buy it but I am afraid if it turns out with one camera only :/

They are the same this time around no matter what storage capacity you get.

Reactions: Kimba

kenjitzw

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2015
Bought a 128GB gold for my gf and a 64GB blue for myself. Took a long time for me to decide between gold and blue before deciding to be different.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I would have liked it if they had included an 8GB option for, say £129 instead of the 16GB £159, but will be buying the latter.

meekgeek

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2008
Apple have got to be kidding me. Didn't they add the ambient light sensor which they for a obsessively moronic reason (too thin) decided to remove? I can't find it in the tech spec section.

I tried looking too, and it isn't mentioned in the specs.

Anyone with a new iPod touch can confirm if Apple added back the ambient light sensor, which was missing from the 5th gen iPod touch?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I tried looking too, and it isn't mentioned in the specs.

Anyone with a new iPod touch can confirm if Apple added back the ambient light sensor, which was missing from the 5th gen iPod touch?

Just a slider, no auto brightness mode.

VideoStar

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2012
Atlanta GA
Ordered online and just returned from picking up my new iPod Touch 6 16gb Space Gray at the Apple Store in Cumberland Mall (Georgia). It is awesome! My previous model is a 32gb iPod Touch 4.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Exactly my thoughts. I have two girls (5 & 7) who would love to have their own "iPhone" like mommy and daddy do. It's a great size for them and they don't need GPS or Touch ID so missing those features does not matter if Apple's target audience is kids for this.

Reading comments like this makes me feel embarrassed to be a 22 year old male that uses an iPod as his primary mobile device lol.

But phones are expensive. :(

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
Reading comments like this makes me feel embarrassed to be a 22 year old male that uses an iPod as his primary mobile device lol.

I wish I had a good reason to buy the iPod Touch for myself other than - I like it. I like the size and the new specs make it a great value in my view. I can always "borrow" it from the kids - LOL.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Ordered online and just returned from picking up my new iPod Touch 6 16gb Space Gray at the Apple Store in Cumberland Mall (Georgia). It is awesome! My previous model is a 32gb iPod Touch 4.

The sound quality is very good, the size and weight is perfect for the gym and the price was right.

1961 Scout

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2015
Ugh, I ordered my Blue 128 through the Apple on line store. Thought I was smart and could get it early. Fed Ex says not until Thursday...it's still in China at the sorting facility...I guess that was the only way to get the free engraving?

No smart phone in my pocket either. Too much of a rip off. I'll get the latest touch with all the features and not have to pay those ripoff monthly charges...

davidinva

macrumors 6502a
Just ordered the 128Gb Space Gray iPod from Apple to replace my old 64Gb 4th gen. Should have it by Friday.

Took a chance and ordered the ULAK Extreme Heavy Duty case for the 5th gen models from Amazon, but it should fit since the dims are the same.
Yesterday, an employee at our closest Apple Store didn't even know a new iPod had been announced. Does anyone know when they might hit the stores? I have a gift card at Best Buy that I want to use on a 64gb model.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
I think so. I will go see it and then decide. When I go to the Apple store if something follows me I bring it home :)

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA
I'll probably pick up a 128gb at some point. I am about out of room on my 5th gen 64gb, so the space upgrade will be my primary reason for upgrading.

I wish they hadn't dropped white as a color option. And I wonder if supplies are constrained on the red.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX

You should be embarrassed.:p :D

In all seriousness, it's all good though. :)

I'm 21 and I've had a smartphone since Middle School, and a Moto Razr before that. (Man, I remember when the Moto Razr was the HOTTEST flip phone and every kid had to have one. Those were the days)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I nabbed the 128gb in gold tonight at the local Apple Store. Was torn between the Gold & Blue. But they didn't have the blue in 128 in stock. So decision made.

I'm one of "those" adults who refuses to get a smartphone. Partly because of the money. Partly because of principal. I hate contracts & expensive monthly fees. And partly, because I travel so much. I would mainly want the iPhone as a travel camera anyway. So it'd be overkill to spend so much for that. Now that the iPod touch 6 camera pretty much matches the iPhone 6, it's a no brainer.

I had the iPT5 but it died a horrible death. I used it as my travel camera. And I paired it with the iPad mini with an unlimited data plan from ATT that I'm grandfathered in on. For those curious, I don't miss a phone. I Like face to face conversations. But I can text and make calls via VOIP apps on my iPad as well as Skype & face time. I have a Google number, and calls go to voicemail & email if I don't pick up. I can do the same on my iPod touch when near wifi...which is pretty much all the time. You'd be surprised how many cities in foreign countries have universal free wifi coverage.

Perhaps if money truly was no object, I'd get an iPhone on contract to one of the big telcos. But I just don't miss it or really need it with my set up. I can communicate just fine thank you very much.

I may spring for an iPhone off contract to use just as a camera like my iPod touch down the road. I've been hearing rumors of some Apple patent for a future iPhone with a dual lens camera system that would rival dslr quality. Since that seems a loooong way off, I'm sticking with the iPod touch as my travel camera for now. It rocks.

Plus I like the small size for stealth in street photography. Much more inconspicuous than the iPhone 6 or 6plus phablet. Very portable.

I'm gonna go out shooting with it this weekend and start posting to my Instagram account. Been using my iPad mini for photography since my iPT 5 died. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.