Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Picked up the Xbox One S and a 4k HDR TV this weekend. Looks FANTASTIC!!!!! (Best Buy had a deal this weekend on Hisense 4k TVs that have HDR. Have to run a few updates on them and it enables the HDR feature, which the Xbox One S supports). I picked up the white version as I love the look of it. Doesn't match anything else though :)

First off; the S does run a lot smoother and quicker on menus and loading for me. I've got the original Xbox One as well and have put a lot of hours into it and could instantly notice a difference.

Volume wise they are both about the same. I don't notice a difference as they are both very quiet. It's my external drives that seem to make noise versus them.

The controller feels good too, though I never had an issue with the original. The system itself is a lot smaller. Placed next to each other it's a huge difference in size.

Of note: if you have an original Xbox One (by original I mean it came with the Kinect) you can contact Microsoft and upon providing them the old serial # and new serial # they will mail you an adapter to plug the kinect into the new Xbox One S (saves you $30+). It's supposed to arrive in 7-10 days. My kids and I do use the Kinect and since I have placed this Xbox where my original is I plan on using it with it and moving the original Xbox One to my living room TV. The only negative to this is the Kinect adapter does use a USB port. I currently have 3 external drives in so I'll have to consolidate some.

Overall I'm pleased with this version. I'm planning on getting the 'Scorpio' next holiday season as well as I have TONS of Xbox games with the added 360 library on it. Plus the Nintendo Switch haha.

It helps that my local gamestop had a trade-in promotion this past weekend. I gave up my Xbox 360E, a Nintendo 64 with Mario Kart, Mario 64, and Zelda, and a few other vintage items and got the Scorpio for $100. Then sold off the Battlefield 1 game it came with for $50. Can't beat that really :)

I picked up one yesterday and replaced my Day 1 XB1 500gb that was downstairs. Moved my 1TB XB1 up to the media room and the projector and got the 1TB XB1S Gears of War 4 bundle for my Samsung JS8500 4K.

It is absolutely stunning!!! I havent been taking much advantage of this fantastic set but the S does that amazingly.

I am using the S as my entertainment hub as I do not have cable and coming from an ATV4 so lacking some apps for my kids such as Disney Junior and Nick Jr. which they are not happy about but most of everything else I normally watch is there.

And yes, you nailed it. It feels much snappier on the menus and load times when navigating the S vs the XB1.

Overall VERY happy!! I do need to buy a new HDMI as the one I was using from the previous owner of my home through the walls was outdated and couldnt support HDR and all the 'green' checks in the 4K set up on the S but tried the included one and got them all. Now I need to run a 15 foot HDMI through the wall to clean it up.

Reactions: Jovian9

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I've been trying to find some answers on this but not a clear one yet: does the 'Plex' app for Xbox One support 4k streaming? I can easily set that up on one of my Macs to get some more 4k options.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Was at the MS Store today and they have their Holiday XBox One S Display up and ready. They have all the special colors on display!

6520cff067633e7cd6365e8369950418.jpg

The pic from my old iPhone doesn't do it justice.

Battlefield 1 Military Green - console and controller both look awesome, military green is darker than pictured.

Battlefield 1 Storm Grey - console grey color is a bit darker than pictured, looks awesome, controller though looks a bit bland in this grey color.

Gears of War 4 Special Edition Red - awesome, of course... console is a bit darker than the pics everywhere.

Gears of War 4 Blue - the pics keep coming out blue even on the box, but in real life it is more a teal color (ahh, the 90's). Same with the controller - teal is not for me... would've gotten it if it was more of a dark blue...

It is nice to see them out of the box!

Reactions: Jovian9

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Was at the MS Store today and they have their Holiday XBox One S Display up and ready. They have all the special colors on display!

6520cff067633e7cd6365e8369950418.jpg

The pic from my old iPhone doesn't do it justice.

Battlefield 1 Military Green - console and controller both look awesome, military green is darker than pictured.

Battlefield 1 Storm Grey - console grey color is a bit darker than pictured, looks awesome, controller though looks a bit bland in this grey color.

Gears of War 4 Special Edition Red - awesome, of course... console is a bit darker than the pics everywhere.

Gears of War 4 Blue - the pics keep coming out blue even on the box, but in real life it is more a teal color (ahh, the 90's). Same with the controller - teal is not for me... would've gotten it if it was more of a dark blue...

It is nice to see them out of the box!

Saw this the other day when I bought my S and was dead set on the gray one when I walked into the Microsoft store. Saw it in person and was not a fan at all the. The controller looked cheap or off, hard to explain but bland is a good word as well as you mentioned.

Loved the blue one but my wife would kill me if it stood out like a sore thumb in her Fixer Upper like motif in our living room entertainment center lol

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Yeah, my dream console is coming. I wish MS won't screw up this time (e.g. Over heat, noisy fan, etc). I am so ready to buy it, and play 4K games on my 84" 4k TV :D

Reactions: Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah, my dream console is coming. I wish MS won't screw up this time (e.g. Over heat, noisy fan, etc). I am so ready to buy it, and play 4K games on my 84" 4k TV :D

I have to say, I love my PlayStation 4 Pro and it offers some great aspects in terms of 4K/HDR content. But I will certainly be purchasing the Xbox Scorpio when it debuts in November 2017. I think there will be some really nice exclusives That will display the power of the Scorpio and what it's capable of doing. I'm hoping the E3 conference will have some more information what expect come November.

Reactions: Tucom and h9826790

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I have to say, I love my PlayStation 4 Pro and it offers some great aspects in terms of 4K/HDR content. But I will certainly be purchasing the Xbox Scorpio when it debuts in November 2017. I think there will be some really nice exclusives That will display the power of the Scorpio and what it's capable of doing. I'm hoping the E3 conference will have some more information what expect come November.

I also have both XB and PS, TBH, I prefer my XB much more. Better XB live, better OS UI, better controller (especially we have the elite controller option), better design console (mainly about fan noise and cooling. For HDD, I prefer the PS4 style that I can easily upgrade to a lager SSHD).

I was tempted to buy the PS4 Pro, however, I used to buy the special edition console (e.g. My PS4 is the silver dragon quest edition. And XB1 is the CoD AW 1TB edition). There is simply no PS4 Pro special edition exist yet. And I hope there will be a Special Edition for AceCombat 7 with the VR. I will be more than happy to spend a $1000 on that set.

Anyway, Scorpio is still my primary target at this moment. Unless they really screw it up. Otherwise I 100% will buy it and enjoy my console gaming.

I tried PC, good 4k image, but I really still prefer the console style simplicity. No need to do any graphic setting, rarely have suddenly unacceptable FPS drop, no BSOD, no need keyboard / mouse...

What I hope is XB scropio will able to gain more game manufacturers support back. At this moment, the only reason for me to play the PS4 is because some games only avail on it. By consider the scropio will be the most advance console when it release. All games should able to release on it. And no more excuse because of "performance limiting".

Reactions: Tucom and 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I also have both XB and PS, TBH, I prefer my XB much more. Better XB live, better OS UI, better controller (especially we have the elite controller option), better design console (mainly about fan noise and cooling. For HDD, I prefer the PS4 style that I can easily upgrade to a lager SSHD).

I was tempted to buy the PS4 Pro, however, I used to buy the special edition console (e.g. My PS4 is the silver dragon quest edition. And XB1 is the CoD AW 1TB edition). There is simply no PS4 Pro special edition exist yet. And I hope there will be a Special Edition for AceCombat 7 with the VR. I will be more than happy to spend a $1000 on that set.

Anyway, Scorpio is still my primary target at this moment. Unless they really screw it up. Otherwise I 100% will buy it and enjoy my console gaming.

I tried PC, good 4k image, but I really still prefer the console style simplicity. No need to do any graphic setting, rarely have suddenly unacceptable FPS drop, no BSOD, no need keyboard / mouse...

What I hope is XB scropio will able to gain more game manufacturers support back. At this moment, the only reason for me to play the PS4 is because some games only avail on it. By consider the scropio will be the most advance console when it release. All games should able to release on it. And no more excuse because of "performance limiting".

I think the Xbox Scorpio needs two things to be a successful start. Competitive pricing for the actual console cost and better exclusive titles. PlayStation has some of the best exclusive titles over Microsoft. I think if project Scorpio has some tempting titles upon the release of the Scorpio, then it will be a strong start.

Rumors are indicating the cost of the console could start around $550.00. I know there will be individuals who are willing to pay this, but the PlayStation Pro definitely has the competitive edge for the pricing.

Either way, I'm definitely upgrading to the Microsoft Scorpio. I think it will offer a lot in terms of power and the ultimate 4K experience.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I think the Xbox Scorpio needs two things to be a successful start. Competitive pricing for the actual console cost and better exclusive titles. PlayStation has some of the best exclusive titles over Microsoft. I think if project Scorpio has some tempting titles upon the release of the Scorpio, then it will be a strong start.

Rumors are indicating the cost of the console could start around $550.00. I know there will be individuals who are willing to pay this, but the PlayStation Pro definitely has the competitive edge for the pricing.

Pretty much price and exclusives are going to drive adoption. It's going to be like a see-saw....If the prices is relatively "low" and the number of exclusives "higher", adoption will go through the roof. On the other hand, if the number of exclusives is "low" and the price "higher" then they are going to have some problems.

MS is sort of in a bind. They can't keep alienating PC gamers...so, many of their exclusives wind up being "console" exclusives and also come out for the PC. But whatever, people just want good games.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I am really disliking the life cycle of these "next gen" consoles lately.

Way too much cash to try and keep up!!!

I mean I cannot buy them and wait but thats no fun!

Reactions: JMacHack

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004

Hopefully, this console will add original XBox Game Emulation.... :eek:

*fingers crossed*

Yeah, I should've gotten a PS4 Pro instead of Slim, but this reminded me why I didn't...

(and why I haven't upgraded to an XBox One S) :)

Reactions: h9826790

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

*fingers crossed*

Yeah, I should've gotten a PS4 Pro instead of Slim, but this reminded me why I didn't...

Doubtful with original game emulation. I don't see Microsoft rehashing this at all for the sake of where their other consoles play a role.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006

*fingers crossed*

Would love OG Xbox game emulation - Jet Set Radio Future in 4K? Man...

By far one of my favorite games ever, BTW.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Something increasingly scarce.

It would be an interesting economics Ph.D. dissertation (which I'm not gonna do), but I suspect the increasing number of gaming companies that are publicly traded & have to have regular quarterly profits is killing off some creativity and risk-taking. These companies want to have regular updates & subscriptions, so they can milk the same idea on a regular basis.

And if that isn't enough, then you have the top CEO's who want to give themselves huge bonuses (cough coughActivisioncough cough)...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-ceo-kotick-takes-55-million-compensation-cut

Burningtime

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
BOSTON, MA.
I really like the specs on the Scorpio so I'm hoping for MS to reveal a lot of games at E3.
I'd wager that they might even get hyper competitive with Sony for the holiday market and price this thing at $500 even or possibly slightly less (although I don't see it being priced below $499.99.)

If they have the games, then I'm willing to pay a little more to get it. I've been enjoying my PS4 Pro so far and Playstation has an amazing line-up of games, but I'm very interested in Scorpio.

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
It would be an interesting economics Ph.D. dissertation (which I'm not gonna do), but I suspect the increasing number of gaming companies that are publicly traded & have to have regular quarterly profits is killing off some creativity and risk-taking. These companies want to have regular updates & subscriptions, so they can milk the same idea on a regular basis.

And if that isn't enough, then you have the top CEO's who want to give themselves huge bonuses (cough coughActivisioncough cough)...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-ceo-kotick-takes-55-million-compensation-cut
I like to think I'm not just being cynical here, but I swear the amount of video games I'm excited for has gone downhill.

I had this conversation with my friends after Mass Effect: Andromeda came out, We all agreed that 9-10 years ago we were all excited to see a new game come out, then 5-8 years ago we were hoping that a game that came out would be pretty good, and then now-4 years ago we watched eagerly to laugh at what a train wreck new games turn out to be.

I still remember joking with them about how awful No-Man's Sky turned out, how much of a downgrade XCOM2 and Civ 6 were, among other recent games.

As far as to what's causing the drop in quality, I dunno. All I know is that I went from playing games all day to maybe a couple hours a week, and when I think of playing more or playing new games, my stomach turns.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

*fingers crossed*

In fact, what worry me a bit is that MS may even consider the Scorpio is a new console and can't run XB1 game at all. Hopefully this won't happen. Otherwise, the launch of Scorpio may be another big failure due to no game avail. Of course I wish the manufacture will write some games to utilise the Scorpio. However, at least use this year to prepare the update, and let Scorpio run the current XB1 games at "Enhanced mode". Of course I want good new games. However, can't expect too much when the new console just arrive. All I looking for at this moment is just able to play the current GTA, AC, CoD, BF, TR, MGS... in the new 4K mode on Scorpio on the 1st day it launch.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
In fact, what worry me a bit is that MS may even consider the Scorpio is a new console and can't run XB1 game at all. Hopefully this won't happen. Otherwise, the launch of Scorpio may be another big failure due to no game avail. Of course I wish the manufacture will write some games to utilise the Scorpio. However, at least use this year to prepare the update, and let Scorpio run the current XB1 games at "Enhanced mode". Of course I want good new games. However, can't expect too much when the new console just arrive. All I looking for at this moment is just able to play the current GTA, AC, CoD, BF, TR, MGS... in the new 4K mode on Scorpio on the 1st day it launch.

According to the video I shared, Scorpio will be able to run XB1 games in enhanced or a mode with greater framerates...

Reactions: h9826790

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I really like the specs on the Scorpio so I'm hoping for MS to reveal a lot of games at E3.
I'd wager that they might even get hyper competitive with Sony for the holiday market and price this thing at $500 even or possibly slightly less (although I don't see it being priced below $499.99.)

If they have the games, then I'm willing to pay a little more to get it. I've been enjoying my PS4 Pro so far and Playstation has an amazing line-up of games, but I'm very interested in Scorpio.

The Xbox Scorpio will easily exceed $500. But I think it's going debut some really strong hardware under the hood. An the advantage I think Microsoft will have will be a console will likely Stomp on the PS4 Pro in terms of power and additional 4K content.

However, I do think the PS4 Pro has one strong following, and that's exclusive titles that are upcoming this next year. And likely, the PS4 Pro will drop $50 when the Scorpio launches.

It's Going to be a very interesting year for Microsoft and Sony.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Microsoft need to start getting some really compelling exclusives and new IP's because frankly my XB1S is rarely getting used these days. The PS4 (pro or not) has by comparison had an amazing time game wise the last number of months with critically acclaimed hit, one after the other.

The Scorpio will indeed be the most powerful console when it launches, but it means nothing without that content and particularly exclusive content.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Microsoft need to start getting some really compelling exclusives and new IP's because frankly my XB1S is rarely getting used these days. The PS4 (pro or not) has by comparison had an amazing time game wise the last number of months with critically acclaimed hit, one after the other.

The Scorpio will indeed be the most powerful console when it launches, but it means nothing without that content and particularly exclusive content.

Halo 6, probably.

Or a "super package" with 4K of Halo 1-5.

("graphical updates" - it never seems to end...)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Halo 6, probably.

Or a "super package" with 4K of Halo 1-5.

("graphical updates" - it never seems to end...)
Halo 5 was so crap, and it was discounted very quickly after release suggesting it wasn't the big seller Halo once was, likewise Gears of War 4. Microsoft need new IP's rather than the same old stale game with albeit fancier exterior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.