Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
What a shame after all that hard work. Still, the Leopard version is a mighty tool in the PowerPPC arsenal we now have :)

So I posted my final regrets concerning Tiger and SMtube and started cloning back Leopard on my Powerbook.

Started up my G5 and was thinking : Hmm , can't I build an app for 10.4 with Xcode that would include all necessary libraries ( qt4 ) without having to install them via Macports.

Thus here is a build done with Xcode 3.2.2 on 10.5.8 with target system 10.4 PPC but since I already wiped Tiger,could you test it on one of your Tiger systems that doesn't have Xcode and Macports installed to see if it works ?

It's a far fetch but can't blame a geek for trying :)

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
Napoli, city of sun and pizza!
Guys could you try if it still works? After watching a 720p episode of a TV series in IN STREAMING, not a downloaded one, using Core player, I am very tempted to try Smtube to watch 720p streaming YouTube on my MDD

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Guys could you try if it still works? After watching a 720p episode of a TV series in IN STREAMING, not a downloaded one, using Core player, I am very tempted to try Smtube to watch 720p streaming YouTube on my MDD

A picture says more than a thousand words

iPhone 4G Personal Hotspot tethered to PB 12" G4 1.5Ghz, 720p stream (SMTube+Coreplayer Preferences)
of Jackie Teaser Trailer whilst sitting in a moving train, oh power Preferences on Better Battery life :)

SMTube 720p Coreplayer 4G stream 24mar2017.png

Reactions: pochopsp

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole

I just tried but it told me the Youtube code needed to be updated which I did
but still no luck, are you using a newer version of smtube ?

Or is this via the TFF box, tonvid, youtube-dl , mplayer script ?
[doublepost=1490372795][/doublepost]
I just tried but it told me the Youtube code needed to be updated which I did
but still no luck, are you using a newer version of smtube ?

Or is this via the TFF box, tonvid, youtube-dl , mplayer script ?

Nevermind, I had a restore on my Powerbook with the older compiled SMTube version not the newest one which is on the 1st page of this
thread.

SMTube Vevo 720p Coreplayer 24mar2017.png

SmTube 17.1.0 , 720p VEVO stream , Better Battery Life , PB 12" G4 , 1.5Ghz via 4G Iphone Personal Hotspot Wifi ,after waiting 1 hour for a train , which now takes twice as long to get home, TGIF.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I'm going to try it too!

Ok guys, I'm in! the first step is to install Xcode right? View attachment 693361
can I unselect these two options?
Yeah you can. :)
[doublepost=1490384725][/doublepost]
If you come up with some kind of "installer" or "easy way" that even a computer layman would understand, that would be so great!
This doesn't seem too difficult, the main problem is that you'd still have to have the other stuff it depends on installed. But who knows, maybe it could all be wrapped up into one installer!

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
I thought all you were unchecking was the 10.3.9 SDK and WebObjects, I didn't know you were going to uncheck UNIX Development tools as well. :oops:
My mistake then! I had to be more precise, but don't worry, there's Pac the Man X while I reinstall xcode ;)
[doublepost=1490396345][/doublepost]Doesn't work for me. Installed Xcode, installed Macports, installed qt 4.8, downloaded compiled Smtube from Dronecatcher, opened Smplayer, added Core player, but every video I click on shows me the YouTube page of the video itself and then nothing.

Reactions: AmazingHenry

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
My mistake then! I had to be more precise, but don't worry, there's Pac the Man X while I reinstall xcode ;)
[doublepost=1490396345][/doublepost]Doesn't work for me. Installed Xcode, installed Macports, installed qt 4.8, downloaded compiled Smtube from Dronecatcher, opened Smplayer, added Core player, but every video I click on shows me the YouTube page of the video itself and then nothing.

Good morning

Your Player preferences for Coreplayer are the same as in my screenshot on the 1st page of this thread ?
Can you post a screenshot of the Player list and the setting for Player - Coreplayer ?

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
I made a mistake in the executable path of core player... This is definitively the best alternative to Mactubes/Youview! Even better than these 2 as this one lets me play 720p YouTube super smoothly (to remind you all I have a PowerMac G4 1.25 GHz Single Core) in streaming and immediately through Core player.... As the second post said, you're a PowerPC God now! Many thanks tovDronecatcher too, his compiled version works amazingly. This should be more visible, as in my opinion neither the 15% of the PowerPC Mac users know this way to watch YouTube... Everyone with a G4/G5 should install it!

Reactions: Dronecatcher

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Many thanks tovDronecatcher too, his compiled version works amazingly.

All the credit goes to Lastic - I just followed instructions and added an icon :)

I agree, this is the most elegant way to play Youtube on a PPC - just be aware though, that when Google do more behind the scenes fiddling, SMTube will need recompiling from a newer version.

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
Reactions: Dronecatcher

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
I can't get qt4 installed, says it fails or something. I'll get a screenshot soonish. Any ideas what the problem may be?

Let me know what error you get and I'll have a look, I'm home for the remainder of the day so should notice a new post.

pochopsp my pleasure, as I stated before I'm a mere mortal compared to the people who still create/update/tweak/crack PowerPC software, glad I could contribute something to this community.

For me it's also the most elegant way but adds the extra diskspace heavy installs of Xcode primarily
, like HFTaylor12 posted if we could only have to install the dependencies it would be more lightweight.

I just love this platform and older gear, just came home 1 hour ago with an HP Proliant server and an APC PDU, going to be re-cabling my lab the rest of the day.

My goal this year next to my continuing network certifications is to learn C/Python on PPC first since my experience dates
from back in the 486DX days.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Let me know what error you get and I'll have a look, I'm home for the remainder of the day so should notice a new post.

pochopsp my pleasure, as I stated before I'm a mere mortal compared to the people who still create/update/tweak/crack PowerPC software, glad I could contribute something to this community.

For me it's also the most elegant way but adds the extra diskspace heavy installs of Xcode primarily
, like HFTaylor12 posted if we could only have to install the dependencies it would be more lightweight.

I just love this platform and older gear, just came home 1 hour ago with an HP Proliant server and an APC PDU, going to be re-cabling my lab the rest of the day.

My goal this year next to my continuing network certifications is to learn C/Python on PPC first since my experience dates
from back in the 486DX days.
Thanks! So, the first time I tried installing, it appeared to have finished downloading and it was installing. It got pretty far through the install process judging from the time it took and then it said "Error: processing of qt4-mac failed". I tried installing it again and I got this:
Picture 2.png

Thanks for looking into this.
[doublepost=1490454443][/doublepost]
I don't know Henry, I just copied the command Lastic wrote in the terminal. It took a while but I got it installed. Have you got the latest Xcode and Macports for Leopard?
Did you use the latest Xcode? I used 3.1.1 like the original post says but if the latest works I'll have to try that.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Might be worthwhile to check also the log if it fails again but can you try sudo port -fp install qt4-mac
[doublepost=1490455780][/doublepost]and can you tell me what port version and port installed show, only thing that is different from my setup is that it's trying to install qt4-mac 4.8.7_4 whereas I have qt4-mac 4.8.7_2 installed via macports , what does port list qt4-mac show ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.