Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your display having the problem described?

• iMac 21.5" both grey bars look identical in color

Votes: 102 8.9%
  • iMac 21.5" the bottom bar looks more yellow

Votes: 199 17.4%
  • iMac 27" both grey bars look identical in color

Votes: 311 27.2%
  • iMac 27" the bottom bar looks more yellow

Votes: 533 46.6%

• Total voters

MrT-Man

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
I think others have mentioned it, but I just noticed it for myself -- viewing angle really does make a difference in terms of the yellowing. When I've got the screen on my 27" positioned normally, there's definitely some yellow in the bottom 25% of the screen. If I tilt it downwards, the yellow is worse. If I tilt it upwards all the way back, the yellow seems to disappear almost entirely.

This makes me feel a bit better, except for the fact that so many people voted "no yellowing" in the poll, and I'm assuming that they're not seeing any yellowing when the screen is at a 90 degree angle....

mrsavage1

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
Ok i need to know what you guys think. I have receieved an imac 27 inch with one bright pixel BUT other than that the screen is perfect. it incredibly uniform with no tint. Do i send it back to apple? i don't really want to play russian roulette. Perviously had 3 imacs 21.5 inchers all having yellow tints both new and refurbs and sent the back packing to apple. The bright pixel is at the lower bottom right hand side of the screen, not very obvious and very livable. This is a refurbished 27 incher. My alternative strat if i don't send it back is to send it for repair at a later date or live with the bright pixel

Last edited:

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Ok i need to know what you guys think. I have receieved an imac 27 inch with one bright pixel BUT other than that the screen is perfect. it incredibly uniform with no tint. Do i send it back to apple? i don't really want to play russian roulette. Perviously had 3 imacs 21.5 inchers all having yellow tints both new and refurbs and sent the back packing to apple. The bright pixel is at the lower bottom right hand side of the screen, not very obvious and very livable. This is a refurbished 27 incher. My alternative strat if i don't send it back is to send it for repair at a later date or live with the bright pixel

It is possible it might even go away after time.

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
Mine has slight yellowing at the bottom, but no dead pixels that I could see. I think I will hold onto it, its only noticeable if I look for it, and its not evident in games :)

Blu-Ray

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Colorado
I have a 21.5" i3 model purchased about 10 months ago. I didn't really notice any issues until working on some photo editing and found this thread. I absolutely have a bad yellow tint across the bottom of my screen and cannot live with it.

Since the i3 model is no longer available, does Apple exchange with a newer model or repair it? Thanks.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
At the Apple Store in 5th Avenue on a 27" iMac, the unit does not seem to have any yellow tinge issue, but seems to suffer from the grey tinge just above the object dock.

I have a feeling its just backlighting on the LED.

The screen in all honesty looks like a good display.

I will check on the other units.

I will keep you guys posted.

-Franky out!

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
At the Apple Store in 5th Avenue on a 27" iMac, the unit does not seem to have any yellow tinge issue, but seems to suffer from the grey tinge just above the object dock.

-Franky out!

Okay now I am in the Upper West Side Apple Store on one of their 27" iMac's and the verdict is.

First Unit: Perfect to my eyes, no yellow tinge, no grey backlighting issue above the object dock.

Second Unit: No Yellow tinge, but grey backlighting issue on bottom of screen is present above and slight below to the right of the object dock.

Third Unit: No Yellow tinge, but grey backlight issue just above object dock, I am beginning to think this is normal for these LED displays.

MrT-Man

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
Are you talking about backlight bleed in the lower right? (bottom right corner looks grey against a black background, at max brightness)?

If that's what you're describing, I've also seen this on a very high proportion of screens. I think it's even more common than the yellowing.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

No with a white background there is a grey tint just above the object dock.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011

-Franky out!

Screens in the Apple stores are no better than what we've been getting. Some are better than others. Seems like this is a universal problem as I've also seen issues with the HP Touchsmart which also uses an LG LED display.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Unfortunately, This seems to be a problem with LG displays. Before my IMAC
I had a HP touchsmart which also used LG displays and the same yellowing problem was there.
Recently Apple dropped LG as a supplier for the IPAD, hopefully they'll do this with the IMAC as well.

mrsavage1

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
Whoever Apple is using right now... Absolutely sucks.
I know business is business, but how can Apple with any sense of pride or ethics... Continue to send out imacs like the last seven i've returned?
AND charge thousands of dollars for such garbage.

You still haven't gotten a good imac yet?

Omek

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Ya, I too just heard that Apple is dropping LG in favor of Samsung for their iPad displays. I'm not sure if that means the same goes for the iMac screens though.

If this problem is prevalent on all LG screens, then why is no one going after them as well? I don't think Apple is going to do anything about this until their updated iMac model comes out next year. Someone already tried to bring a class action lawsuit and it was dismissed by a judge.

And now every Mac news blog has completely dropped the issue, even though people are still having problems with every iMac revision thus far.

I was thinking this was Apple's hardware issue, but now I'm starting to believe that LG may be the one at fault here. Apple still carries part of the blame for continually putting these LGs in their machines knowing that they are not working properly.

Thadon

macrumors member
May 28, 2010
I just got an iMac last night and as soon as I turned it on I noticed the yellow on the bottom part of the screen. I work with Photoshop a lot so I think I may take it back. This is ridiculous to spend all this money and have stupid problem like this. Not to mention the closest Apple store is about an hour away.

Anyone have luck with getting the screen replaced? There is a Apple repair shop in town.

MrT-Man

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
A screen replacement is hit or miss (just like getting a new iMac). 30%+ of screens seem to have yellowing, so there's a 30%+ chance your replacement screen will be no better.

.md

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2009
EVERYWHERE.
I own the late 2009 model, [27" Quad Core i7], brought in the start of 2010. I haven't had an issue with the display.

Omek

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
I just got an iMac last night and as soon as I turned it on I noticed the yellow on the bottom part of the screen. I work with Photoshop a lot so I think I may take it back. This is ridiculous to spend all this money and have stupid problem like this. Not to mention the closest Apple store is about an hour away.

Anyone have luck with getting the screen replaced? There is a Apple repair shop in town.

I wouldn't bother with a screen replacement if I were you. I've heard several iMacs owners say that it was the same or worse. You should probably make them give you a new one, but I've seen that process go on for months of back forth trading.

I own the late 2009 model, [27" Quad Core i7], brought in the start of 2010. I haven't had an issue with the display.

Then, congrats to you! Because you're one of the lucky few that got a decent screen. I own the late 2009 27" Quad Core i5 and have had the bottom third yellow screen issue ever since. It's not as bad as others, so I've just lived with it. But Apple still hasn't resolved this issue.

.md

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2009
EVERYWHERE.
Then, congrats to you! Because you're one of the lucky few that got a decent screen. I own the late 2009 27" Quad Core i5 and have had the bottom third yellow screen issue ever since. It's not as bad as others, so I've just lived with it. But Apple still hasn't resolved this issue.

It only took me around 3 months to get my hands on it. I purchased it online from an unreliable company, however they stuck by their word and fixed me my own configuration of a wonderful machine, oh and I certainly did not forget to include Apple care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.