Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paja

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2006
3G iPhone Case Revealed

1. This is a fake.

2. Steve Jobs wants the world stage when the updated iPhone is released. So don't expect anything before the 9th. He is giving the keynote and he will be doing the unveiling. The links between the updated iPhone, the SDK and the new iPhone applications are far too important for a non event announcement.

3. Don't get your expectations set too high or you will be disappointed. Hasn't that happened all too often in the past.

HymerSchmidt

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008
Stockton, CA
curved back = win. Its worst design feature was the inability to rest in a hand well. This will definitely change how it rests on a flat surface though. Maybe it's weighted so it can use its curve to face someone if positioned in landscape?

If not, I don't know which is worse.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I guess this is the first of many case/accessories for the new iPhone. What will be next.

Zeegler

macrumors member
May 14, 2008
1. This is a fake.

2. Steve Jobs wants the world stage when the updated iPhone is released. So don't expect anything before the 9th. He is giving the keynote and he will be doing the unveiling. The links between the updated iPhone, the SDK and the new iPhone applications are far too important for a non event announcement.

3. Don't get your expectations set too high or you will be disappointed. Hasn't that happened all too often in the past.

Why would they give up a whole month of sales? Why not sell the current iPhone until June? I know about the returns, but don't they have EXACTLY the same problem when new iPods or iMacs or Macbooks are released...I think returns are a non-issue and we might get a little surprise tomorrow (leading into Memorial Day Spend-your-money weekend)

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
iPhone with and with out the EXO case:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    345.8 KB · Views: 80

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I don't see the back being curved so much as to wobble on the desktop. I just see the very edges being more rounded (like the air). There would still have to be flat spot on the back.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I didn't read every post, but did anyone notice that the first picture depicts the iphone without the itunes icon on the home screen? It obviously can't be the real deal, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the case was like that. I'm guessing they'd wants a larger battery to handle 3G.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I didn't read every post, but did anyone notice that the first picture depicts the iphone without the itunes icon on the home screen? It obviously can't be the real deal, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the case was like that. I'm guessing they'd wants a larger battery to handle 3G.

We're just looking at the case. The iPhone image is just a stock image of the orignial iPhone.

arn

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
This also seems like an unlikely design. Why would the back be curved? It wouldn't sit flat unless you put the phone face down. No way this is the 3Giphone.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Well, there are some case manufacturers currently offering their cases at 50% off and in some cases at a 75% discount.

So maybe these are accurate. I am sure manufacturers will get the dimensions or something even if they do not get a picture of the iPhone.

macfan70

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2006
Just trying to beat the rest

I think this is just a mockup of what has been rumored. Flexible material will allow you to stretch it on to a current model or the 3G iPhone if it does turn out to be real specs. This way if you buy one and the 3G model turns out differently you can at least use it with the 2.5G. But they better have a very good return policy in place. :rolleyes:

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
If I had no idea what an iPhone was and asked which is the older version and which is the newer version I would guess the one on the bottom.

I hope the <insert guess> features justify the added bulk.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I would not be surprise that this is just a way to increase traffic and promote their site and products.
For me it's fake and the case manufacturer is having a laugh because of the self-promotion.

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
:eek:Forget an iPhone thats fatter! I aint never going back to my 'Brick' carrying windows smartphone dimensions...boo apple!! Big has never been sexy and anyone who think so is in denile :eek:

People said the same when early pictures of the current Nano "AKA Fatty" began to surface. People bought 'fatty' Nano fairly well.

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Complete with a rotary dial, right? ;)

Apples new industrial design strategy - retro!!

if that translates into extra hour or two more talk time, and/or makes 3G last all day/nite, the phat would be where it's at

Make a rhyme every time...

:eek:Forget an iPhone thats fatter! I aint never going back to my 'Brick' carrying windows smartphone dimensions...boo apple!! Big has never been sexy and anyone who think so is in denile :eek:

Check the quote above yours, apparently "phat is where its at" :rolleyes:

I'd rather have solar panels on the back than a thicker form. With the advances in processor, power consumption, and lithium battery development, we ought to be looking forward to an iPod Touch form factor in June.

Yea, solar panels would be nicer than that form factor, although we all know well even if it does look like that everyone will be clamoring for it.

I just want the iPhone to be released so all the people complaining about there being too much iPhone news will all shut the hell up.

Once the 3G iPhone is released there is probably just going to be more stories about it. Arn does a great job keeping us up to date with all the news. Stop complaining unnecessarily.

:p we ll wait 9 months....:D

Then another iPhone will be born out of the 3G iPhone you already own. Free upgrade!!! :rolleyes: :D

I can't deny that you aren't much good at spelling... (it's denial) ;) loi

Anyway, just for the record, I would like to say that I love a bit of extra meat on my women (nice!), and hence, I don't mind a bit extra on my new 3G iPhone when it comes along either...

You must make friends with peterlobl, he's in the same boat or large womens club as you ;) :D

i think this company took the "specs" everyone has hard about, made a case they do not know will work or not, and are selling early to make money. is that legal?

I think this as well. Just collaborating a guess of the form factor from all the rumors.

what's an iPhone?

Nobody really actually knows.... spooky :confused:

https://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/01/cases-for-new-ipod-nano/

Looks like they were "leaked" Sept 1st, and the announcement was Sept 5th.

arn

That would seem to make more sense as its only a few days away from the announcement, then again maybe they had them for a while and eventually just couldn't stop the itching in their pants to leak them.

This also seems like an unlikely design. Why would the back be curved? It wouldn't sit flat unless you put the phone face down. No way this is the 3Giphone.

That is a really good call. Have thought this myself, no honestly I have :), it would be really strange to have it semi roll about on the top of a table or something.

I also read somewhere that the new iPhone is going to be 2.5mm Thinner. Forgotten where I saw that now though. I reckon same ish form factor, maybe slightly thinner and not as curved as these case pictures suggest.

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
I think someone goofed!

I think that these guys made a mistake when desiging their case. I DO believe that Apple gave case manufacturers design hints in the form of the first attached image that made the rounds on the internets a few weeks back. But if you look at the first box (upper left, showing the new slope of the back) you'll notice that the two phones have the exact same thickness in their sillouette. I think that is very unlikely to happen, and I also doubt that the phone will get any thicker. Someone posted the second image in another thread, and if you line it up with the outline of the first image you will see it is almost a perfect fit (slightly too thin, but very close). I think this is much more likely to be what we get! What do you think? :apple:

Attachments

• iphone2b.jpg
    iphone2b.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 2456836669_d881a32fc1.jpg
    2456836669_d881a32fc1.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 6,552
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.