Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Of course the wireless charger will be sold separately, but as for the power adapter; I am sick of Apple charging extra for their fast charging even when it’s almost necessary. They are being more generous with storage but so ignorant with charging.

Reactions: macfacts

mwd25

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Tempe
Going to give Apple the benefit of the doubt until the phone is actually released. Having said that, if these predictions are true, it is awful and very unlike Apple. As I have said all along, current wireless or so-called wireless charging is anything but. I really couldnt care less if I have to pop in the lightning cable or set my phone on a mat. A mat THAT HAS TO BE PLUGGED IN!!!!! Its not wireless. I have no problem waiting until the technology is ready for prime time........and at this stage, it isnt. Apple apparently felt and said the same. Now since they cant get it done they will go with the half a** work around???? BOOOOOO
Also not ready for prime time is getting touch i.d. to work under the screen. So, Im fine waiting. I dont want to have to hold phone to my face now, when before I could unlock it without even looking at it. There are many reasons why having to orient the phone to pick up my face to unlock is a BAD IDEA. Driving and listening to music, stop to grab a soda, hop back in car and I now need to unlock phone to continue. Now......I just set my finger on home button and done. After change I would have to remove phone from holder in car, orient to face, replace back in holder, then done. NOT EASIER. Bad idea. If these predictions are true its a shame but, we'll see.

Isidore

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2004
London
Face recognition? So what stops someone who has taken your phone against your will from pointing the camera at your face and unlocking your phone? Thieves and the police will love this feature!

carpleror

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2014
Now that Vivo has shown the world that the tech exists and it is possible to embed a fingerprint sensor under a smartphone display, if Apple were to eliminate the fingerprint sensor from the iPhone, it would be a huge blunder. They would essentially be admitting defeat. The notion that Apple only makes improvements once they can "perfect" them would be over. Apple would be saying "Hey we want to put a bezel-less display on our iPhones, but can't get it to work 100%. So we're gonna put out a half-assed solution and hope our tech improves over the next 12 months."

On a brighter note, I feel like in years past, iPhone leaks were more frequent by this point. We do know what the phone will mostly look like, but we're still debating on what's happening to TouchID, wireless charging, and USB-C availability. Also, not a single parts leak. I'm inclined to just say this just say this means the phone isn't locked down yet and it'll be delayed. BUT, we have even fewer leaks for the 7S and 7S Plus.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Driving and listening to music, stop to grab a soda, hop back in car and I now need to unlock phone to continue.

They solved that with 'do not disturb while driving'. Sounds like it will be perfect for you.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
The people on this site will be absolutely livid if wireless charging isn't included and instead sold separately. Then again, they're mad about everything. Even untrue rumors.

Reactions: Eau Rouge

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
That's unfortunate. True wireless charging is almost here. Apple would be smart to go right for the gold, rather than taking a brief detour through this only marginally useful tech. If I has to be touching something, it's not much different from plugging it in.

Apple has said that they don't believe in anything less than true wireless.

Reactions: mwd25

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
Wireless Charger Sold Separately = Increase ASP
This is Tim Cook's Apple, how can they get as much cash of each loyal iPhone users consumers every 18 to 24 months.
Plus +$110
Case +$45
Earpods +$159
Wireless Charger +$???

DwayneAlton

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2017
Cape Coral, Florida, USA
One issue with the 'faceID' (as opposed to touchID) is that if the phone is in a mount or otherwise not in your hand, you have to then have it actually facing you or however it needs to 'capture your image'. A finger is much more maneuverable that your face, especially if driving, etc., or even as a passenger. I really can't see such a quick transition to ONLY 'faceID'. An option, maybe. Only? Color me still suspicious.

Agreed. I can see a model year with both. But eliminating TouchID altogether seems risky. Too many variables. Angles / docking. Lighting (infrared??). Sunglasses. Position / angle when Authenticating while using NFC payments.

Also, Apple has been firm in their position regarding privacy and law enforcement / government access to phone data. If the phone can be taken from someone and unlocked by aiming at their face, it seems to counter their position.

I have both options on one of my Android phones and, while the facial recognition is surprisingly good, I still revert to fingerprint.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
The people on this site will be absolutely livid if wireless charging isn't included and instead sold separately. Then again, they're mad about everything. Even untrue rumors.

I certainly won't be. Unless it's wireless charging at a distance (and that's not yet ready for prime time), I see little benefit over plugging a cable in.

Reactions: winglet69 and mwd25

mwd25

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Tempe
They solved that with 'do not disturb while driving'. Sounds like it will be perfect for you.
They solved what????? Your phone locking after a few minutes??? No, not really. And do not disturb has no impact on the scenario I mentioned. Im listening to music. So if I put that feature on, my phone will still need to be unlocked after I come back to car and want to continue listening to music.
They "solved" people being distracted by incoming calls and texts while driving, though it didnt need solving as there already is a do not disturb feature on the phone and has been for years now.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Wireless charging so convenient.. You HAVE to connect to the device, nothing wireless about it, and if you are in bed, a long wire could let you leave the phone nearby, now you have to put it too far away..
And if you travel, and you want this amazing wireless charging, you have to bring a base station and it's wire(s).
Rather then just a single wire that you could use in any usb (wall socket) charging port.

Unless I put the phone down nearby me, and it's charging no matter where i have the device in my living room or bedroom or the car .. there's no reason for me to pay $150 or whatever they might charge for wireless base station.

Not to mention that it will be a lot slower than a 12w ipad charger in the wall, or over usb-c to lightning.

Ericsandy101

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2016
I'm sorry but that front cutout is so hideous. If they get rid of Touch ID also I'm so going to samsung. Ridiculous.

Well-regarded KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo this morning released a note for investors in which he made 10 predictions related to the three iPhones slated for release in 2017, including the elimination of Touch ID in the "iPhone 8."

We've now gotten our hands on Kuo's full note, and it includes several additional details that were not covered in our original post.

iphone-8-renders-ios-11-800x527.jpg

iPhone 8 renders from iDrop News
First and foremost, on the topic of Touch ID, Kuo's note clearly says the iPhone 8 will not support fingerprint recognition, a prediction some MacRumors readers thought was ambiguous in the first post based on the included wording. Direct from the note:Kuo's claim has since been backed up by Bloomberg in a report suggesting Touch ID will be replaced by advanced facial recognition technology in the iPhone 8, lending more credence to Kuo's prediction.

A second tidbit suggests the iPhone 8 and its companion devices, the "iPhone 7s" and the "iPhone 7s Plus" will all adopt glass bodies with metal frames to facilitate WPC-standard wireless charging functionality. WPC-standard refers to the Wireless Power Consortium, which supports the Qi wireless charging functionality built into many Android devices.

According to Kuo, wireless charging will be enabled through an optional accessory that will be purchased alongside the new iPhones -- it won't be a default feature available out of the box. Qi wireless charging is in line with rumors that have predicted the iPhone 8 will support inductive charging rather than a true wireless charging feature.

qi-charging.jpg

An example of a Qi wireless charging solution
Kuo also believes that while the iPhone 8 will include an embedded USB-C power delivery IC for higher charging efficiency, it will continue to ship with the same 5W power adapter equipped with a USB-A port that's included with iPhones today. A USB-A to Lightning cable will also be included as a standard accessory.

That deviates from a prediction made by Barclays analyst Blayne Curtis, who last week said the iPhone 8 would come bundled with a 10W power adapter with a USB-C connector.

Kuo's final prediction has to do with the RAM in the three new iPhone models. The first post said that the 4.7-inch iPhone 7s would include 2GB RAM while the 5.8-inch OLED iPhone 8 and 5.5-inch iPhone 7s would include 3GB RAM, but what was left out is that he also believes the DRAM transfer speed of the three new models will be faster than the iPhone 7 by 10 to 15 percent for better AR performance.

The rest of what Kuo had to say is available in the post we shared this morning, covering predictions like limited color options, 3D sensing for facial recognition, 64 and 256GB storage options, an improved speaker system, and possible supply shortages.

Article Link: All 2017 iPhone Models Said to Include Standard 5W USB-A Adapter, With Wireless Charger Sold Separately

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I don't like facial recognition as a replacement for Touch ID. I'd have been fine with it being launched alongside it and optional but not instead of.

Edit: as I said in the last thread, I hope this is an instance of Ming getting it wrong.
I agree, touch ID i trust a lot more than facial recognition. Not to mention anybody (authority or not) all they have to do is have you in a spot and hold the phone up to your face. Something you don't have to be alive for by the way. I am sure the feds would love this feature.

paying in a shop with apple pay (can you imagine all those merchants that just finally converted over and loving it.. lol) now have to have customers look at something instead of using touch id? .. what? like a slave i guess, look over here, id confirmed, multi pass.

blahbrah

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2006
As someone who spent most of 2016 waiting for the new MBPs the fact is the more you want Ming to be wrong, the more likely it is that he's right.

I still remember thinking they'd intro Skylake MBPs at WWDC 16.

The complete lack of USB C in box is ridiculous. They're gambling big on the format on their notebook line and there's still no way to plug it in without getting an adapter.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
Prediction:

Apple working with Energous.

All 2017 iPhones include Energous-Dialog power management + RF-based wireless charging antenna receiver.

Apple sells 2 different types of RF-based chargers in 2017:

A contact-based charger which is $29
And HomePod which charges at 3-5ft for $349

All iPhones are hardware ready for contact to long range charging with the single chip.

How long $WATT are you, anyway? lol

Reactions: geoffm33

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Face recognition? So what stops someone who has taken your phone against your will from pointing the camera at your face and unlocking your phone? Thieves and the police will love this feature!
What stops them from forcing your finger on the Touch ID sensor?
[doublepost=1499125857][/doublepost]
Exactly, also how would facial recognition work in the dark?? If that was the only way, other than a password.
Microsoft has had face recognition for authentication ("Windows Hello") in Windows 10 for a couple of years now. It requires a special camera and works fine in the dark, since it uses IR with an active emitter. The use of IR also helps to prevent spoofing.

Reactions: jedifaka

JonGarrett

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
New York, NY
The current facial recognition is crap in other phones.

The phone that have iris scanning can't be unlocked while walking. Rather dumb and pointless.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I unlock my S8 all the time while walking, in total darkness, and 2 or 3 times faster than any fingerprint scanner on any phone, I can look directly at it or from an angle and it never fails.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Wow, today's iPhone news just gets worse and worse. The wireless adapter being separate is expected...but why include the crappy 5w charger when we have fast charging...

Apple's motto is "Margins above all else".

Reactions: aylk

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
...Apple has been firm in their position regarding privacy and law enforcement / government access to phone data. If the phone can be taken from someone and unlocked by aiming at their face, it seems to counter their position.

LEOs are allowed to force-take your fingerprint on your iPhone already. Anyone really concerned needs to have both biometric plus code-number I.D. In the USA one's I.D. Number is Constitutionally protected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.