Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
There is no point since like you said, a much cheaper phone will do everything you just said. All the stuff you said was just to sell the new iphone.

Well, there is a point, you just don't necessarily agree with it.

The point is that 10-15 years ago you could easily have spent £800 on four separate devices that still didn't do everything a modern smartphone does.

And besides, I conceded that you needn't spend £800 on a phone. You could spend a lot less, but it certainly wouldn't necessarily be as good at all of those things as a high end smartphone.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
You mean they don't start making them at the announcement?

:eek:

Yes, and the iPhone 9 is on the drawing board now, and the iPhone 8S is nearing the configuration options for the next 6 months. They're also talking to software for iOS12 and 13 now.

This stuff doesn't just happen, and when we're on this scale of millions (and 10's of millions) of devices being produced, the "garage mentality" has to go, and this stuff takes time and coordination to get it right.

Then, it takes software updates to get it really right.... :p

On a side note, this is why Apple has better luck with phone releases. Having one company make the software (Google) and another make the hardware (HTC/Samsung/etc.) means there will be fissures in the HW/SW match-up, and there is always that worry about breaches of intellectual property. Having one company may have similar fissures between HW/SW, but at least everyone can meet in a room, and go over those issues without playing the us vs. them game, and who is going to pay for it.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
So for those that believe this crap, next year's models will then be 8s, 8s Plus and 9? Come on people.

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
I’d much rather the 8 be the same size as the 7 Plus with a 6”+ screen. I don’t want another baby sized phone.

Amen to this. I'm quite happy with the size of my 6 Plus. If I'm going to cough up $250 more for the iPhone 8 I want it to have a bigger usable screen, not smaller. The 8 is the next generation of the 7, not the 7 Plus. I can just about guarantee next year Apple will have a phone in the same size as the Galaxy S8+.

I need some advice, please. I have an iPhone 6 Plus currently. I like everything about it except the battery life. Will the iPhone 8 battery life be a good bit better? if so, I will buy one and ditch my Mophie case.

Better than what your 6 Plus currently is capable of after hundreds of charging cycles? Probably. After a couple of years your battery has likely lost 10% or more of its capacity.

Better than your 6 Plus when it was new? Not very likely. AMOLED will have some battery saving; however, the effect on battery life will be limited overall. I also think the iPhone 8 will have a smaller battery than the 6 Plus (rumors say about 2,700 mAh in the 8 vs. 2,915 in the 6 Plus). If you were coming up an hour or so short after a heavy day's use it might get you over the hump, otherwise you can expect all-day life out of either device without much problem. If you were running out of juice at 6:00 in the afternoon I don't think the 8 will get you to 10:00.

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
i have 7 plus but isnt the iphone 8 smaller? 4.7??

The 7 Plus has a 5.5" screen while the 7 has a 4.7" screen. The 8 will likely have 5.15" usable area with software buttons on the bottom replacing the home button, very similar to the touch bar on the Mac. The 8 is going to fit in between the 7S and 7S Plus as far as screen sizes go.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
You know, with the glass back returning plus if they are actually doing a white front...I wish they would have brought back the white back, like the 4/4s. So Black/Black/Black, and White/Stainless/White. Or if they could some how make the stainless steel frame white that would be awesome.

EDIT: Or am I not seeing it right? Is the white one actually white? It really looks like silver to me from the photos.

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
Well, there is a point, you just don't necessarily agree with it.

The point is that 10-15 years ago you could easily have spent £800 on four separate devices that still didn't do everything a modern smartphone does.

And besides, I conceded that you needn't spend £800 on a phone. You could spend a lot less, but it certainly wouldn't necessarily be as good at all of those things as a high end smartphone.
Then your point should be, the new iphone can do everything I listed better, so its worth the price.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Glass is cool again.

Wireless charging is going to be a great addition. It's about time, Apple. Millions of iPhone users will now understand why it was foolish of Apple to assume wireless charging isn't worthwhile just because the charging pad/stand is connected to an outlet.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
i have 7 plus but isnt the iphone 8 smaller? 4.7??

It should be slightly larger than the 4.7 model, but slightly smaller than the 5.5. With the smaller bezels though, it will house a larger screen (5.8) with a higher resolution (3x opposed to 2x currently). So you'd be getting a larger screen in a more compact size, kind of the best of both worlds.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
What is it that you expect? A triangle, circle or ?
Every phone needs a screen which has to be a rectangle. Needs a frame around it to hold things together.
Corners rounded, so nothing catches or at least a small radius.
That leaves the top and bottom sides, which can have a radius or be straight like in the old 4s. (My preferred design)
Besides that a lot of people will hide whatever design in a case.
Where is the problem?
Just look at how profoundly design did develop at the rest of the industry (Huawei, Xiaomi, Samsung, HTC, .....) while J. Ive practically ceased designing phones

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Glass is cool again.

Wireless charging is going to be a great addition. It's about time, Apple. Millions of iPhone users will now understand why it was foolish of Apple to assume wireless charging isn't worthwhile just because the charging pad/stand is connected to an outlet.

I wish I agreed, but I think the current implementation of wireless charging is pretty useless. Still tethered to the wall, can't be used while charging. It's worse than what we have now.

Reactions: aylk

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Have there been any supply chain reports or rumors about what kind of radio chipsets are going into these things? Would be nice to dump this iPhone 7 Intel chip with its awful reception.

Has that really been an issue? I thought all non-US iPhone 7’s were using the Intel radio chipsets?

If anything we’ll likely soon see Apple designing it’s own radio chipsets as well. Or building them into the A series.
[doublepost=1502289715][/doublepost]
I wish I agreed, but I think the current implementation of wireless charging is pretty useless. Still tethered to the wall, can't be used while charging. It's worse than what we have now.

I keep thinking the same thing. The iPhones will support induction charging (we should be careful calling it wireless). It’ll be an additional accessory, and if the only time I charge my phone is at night on a small lightning dock I don’t see the need to replace it just to avoid using the lightning port.

gcooldude86

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2014
Ontario, Canada
True wireless charging (no tether) is something that is being explored in the tech world, but is not attainable right now. All I am saying is I don't see wireless charging as an advantage. I'd prefer to be able to use my phone while charging.
Didn't mean to be harsh or anything. I'm not too familiar with wireless charging but I do like how the AW charges, no need to plug in a cable.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Didn't mean to be harsh or anything. I'm not too familiar with wireless charging but I do like how the AW charges, no need to plug in a cable.

Yea, I love it for the AW since I am not using the watch while charging at night. It should be easier to charge (just place on a pad), but I still think I would rather be able to use my phone while charging. I won't be buying the charging pad if it is indeed sold separately. Totally fine by me, giving the option works for everyone.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Just look at how profoundly design did develop at the rest of the industry (Huawei, Xiaomi, Samsung, HTC, .....) while J. Ive practically ceased designing phones

Yes, they all have my mentioned parameters.

As somebody else posted: "My iPhone is not a fashion statement. It is a smartphone first"!

Our personal design tastes are just that and don't matter. I liked the iPhone 4 BRAUN/RAMS school design, but it's no longer used. So, should I go Android over that? Of course not!

The current iPhone design is actually too slippery for me, but I always use a case. Some complain about the camera bump, a real life threatening issue in todays world. It may end the world as we know it.

So, whatever they dream up is fine with me. I am using the phone, not the design.

Put Huawei, Xiaomi, Samsung, HTC..... in a case and you'll see how important phone designs are.

Since Apple sells millions of these with every release I just can't see a design problem.
More important issues in the world than Apples iPhone design.

Reactions: goshawk823

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
Money is not a problem at all.
Only the quality and design matters.
I am ready to pay up to 2000$ for an iPhone.
1000$ or 2000$ doesnt matter.
Just make it as good, SMALL and beautiful as 5S or SE.
Same size as SE, bigger OLED Display over the whole front and best hardware.

We are in the same boat, desperately in need to chew grass!

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Amen to this. I'm quite happy with the size of my 6 Plus. If I'm going to cough up $250 more for the iPhone 8 I want it to have a bigger usable screen, not smaller. The 8 is the next generation of the 7, not the 7 Plus. I can just about guarantee next year Apple will have a phone in the same size as the Galaxy S8+.

I was hoping for the same thing: an iPhone that's the same size as the 6 Plus with the screen extended to the top and bottom edge rather than shrinking the form factor down to the current screen size. I love the size of the 6 Plus: having that much more usable screen would be great for me.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

I keep thinking the same thing. The iPhones will support induction charging (we should be careful calling it wireless). It’ll be an additional accessory, and if the only time I charge my phone is at night on a small lightning dock I don’t see the need to replace it just to avoid using the lightning port.

Both your comments are fair. I think the true beauty of wireless charging is that you get to keep topping off your device's battery. Anytime you're not using your phone, you can set it down on a wireless charger. And unless you're at absolute zero battery, it's not that hard to pick up your device to use, and then set it back down to continue with charging.

When you're regularly topping off your phone's battery, you never worry about battery life anymore.

Lastly, the wireless part is between the phone and the charger, so in that sense, it is wireless. The "wireless" was never meant to be between the charger and the outlet, which wouldn't make sense anyway (how would you supply power?).

Having said all that, wireless charging will be an optional feature. You'll still be able to charge via cable as you always have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.