Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
It's almost laughable to read folks commenting on "power users." So called power users represent a tiny fraction of the folks who iOS or Android. Most folks can only do the basic things on either platform. Many have no idea of what functions the platforms are actually capable of performing.
Having two DND times? Hah? Many folks have no idea that there is a DND function. Resizing icons? Many folks can't change their wallpaper or organize their apps.
Perhaps folks didn't read further that Apple probably converts more android users to iOS than vice versa. "These loyalty rates are not equivalent to switcher rates, where iOS wins out."
However this isn't about who has the superior platform. That's in the eye of user. They are both very good and either will provide more than most people desire. This is just about getting comfortable with one or the other. Android has more cheap and inexpensive devices. The guy, like my neighbor, who makes his decision based on what the carrier is providing at the lowest cost is choosing Android.
The most recent iOS releases have been disappointing because of how buggy they have been. Even conceding that Android is more flexible and has better support for third party Apps I still prefer iOS because of it's simplicity and my familiarity with it. My device always has the most current software. It works for me and I ain't switching.
Power users? Customize? Ain't nobody got time for that!

Reactions: MrChurchyard

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Because you said
"Is this loyalty due to the OS or loyalty due to the fact that many Android phones are dirt cheap?"
If you say you are loyal to Apple because of a great user experience I can also say that I am loyal to a dirt cheap Android phone because it gives me a great user experience. So your logic is flawed, loyalty has nothing to do with the phone's price.

You usually leap to these odd conclusions? My statement dies not imply the opposite is true, your thinking it does is simply the byproduct of faulty thinking.

Reactions: zchrykng

The Don Onez

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2017
Huntsville, AL
I switch between the 2 (use to be 3, but Windows Phone died :/). Moved from a Moto Z to an iPhone 8+. Going to get the new iPhone X+ next. It'll be a while before I head back to Android.

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
When looking at the big picture, it really does not matter. There is a plenty of customers for Apple and all the Android manufacturers. This kind of thing is really not important.

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
I use to be an Android fan a few years back. I remember always having issues with my phone especially using the map system. Im now with Apple and have not turn back to android. Yes Apple has their issues with software and what not. But what major companies out there does not a few things going on!

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I switched to Android for about a year seven or so years ago. While a lot of things have improved about Android over the past seven years, one of the constant complaints I still hear from people who have an Android phone is that "little glitches" happen. Sometimes an app will start and crash. Sometimes the camera app will crash when they take a picture. Sometimes the phone reboots for no readily apparent reason at all.

What concerns me lately is that iOS used to be known for its rock-solid stability; but Apple is definitely faltering in that regard. When I ditched the Droid X and went back to iPhone for the iPhone 5 five and a half years ago, I immediately remembered why I loved iOS in spite of the fact that it really couldn't be customized -- especially back then. It was dependable. I'm encouraged by the fact that Apple seems to recognize that its quality control with software has slipped considerably. I hope they'll have the intestinal fortitude to not only acknowledge that there are problems, as they've done, but that they'll take proactive steps to start fixing problems as they're supposedly going to do with iOS 12.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Very flawed data. So if you switch from a Google Pixel 2 to a Samsung Galaxy S9, you’re more loyal than an iPhone user that switches to Google Pixel.

I’m curious who the most loyal phone brand is.

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
Android loyalty is 89 - 91% and iOS loyalty is between 85 - 88%. What is the margin of error on this survey? Most political surveys have a margin of 3 - 5 % and they have thousands of samples to get there. The difference here does not look statistically significant enough to claim that one is better than the other (even if the roles were reversed).
Also, device lifespan is a crucial item here. iOS is around 4+ years while Android is around 1.5-2 years. This means Android needs to have 2-3 the “loyalty” than iOS to hold even.

Reactions: Mescagnus

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Loyalty to "LG" or "Samsung" or "Google" or "(insert brand here)" would be far more meaningful. Most people rarely choose phones *for* Android. They choose the cheapest device that does what they need.

Reactions: mabhatter

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
In other news.....

People who eat at McDonalds continue to eat at McDonalds.

BTW, shouldn't this make Android users the sheep? Since they are supposedly more loyal? And they have the greater numbers?

No. "Sticking with Android" is different from "sticking with Apple". On Android one has way more choices in both hardware and software. One can find a satisfactory solution without dropping Android.

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
Not with security updates, all those steps you described are done within 1 month which is the time you get separated security updates on Android.
That really doesn't match my experience. Granted it's been a few years since I dabbled in rooting Android phones, but from what I understand delayed or non-existent security patches continue to be a problem, especially with cheap and/or unpopular Android phones.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This does not shock me at all. Power users are using Android, you can do so much more. IOS has not grown up and that is a pretty serious issue as many long time users start to see how much more they can do elsewhere. And I love Apple products but IOS is a massive joke these days, zero innovation.. oh wait Animated Emojis for the win! lol

That is such a false statement, it's not even funny.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
All this proves is that Android users are cheapskates.... they go through phones like water, because they don't last or they cannot get Android upgrades..

Perhaps on the lower end. But most flagships are in the same price range. And there are plenty of "budget" iPhone models too.

And now with Android Go (a lite version for lower end phones) updates will be all around.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
My point stands and is true.

Wrong. If you brought a $200 phone and needed a new $200 phone you're way more likely to be an Android owner. Your choice is limited by price.

If you brought an $800 Apple phone than your choice is both Android and Apple.

That's my point. There are way more people with cheap phones who will stay cheap, stay Android and therefore stay 'loyal'.

nekonokami

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2011
And now we count only the droid users who buy a phone starting at Apples cheapest offering.

Oh. Suddenly the data doesn't provide the same conclusion. Funny how that works.

Why do droid users have that extreme need to justify their purchase over and over again ...

Dan Holmstock

macrumors member
May 11, 2016
Culpeper VA
11935088_502327576592013_508127552554708324_n.jpg
Android vs iOS
fake thread started by a Russian bot

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHA!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.