Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
Was really hoping the phone would be shorter, but doesn't look promising.

It better be thinner and lighter, though.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Kind of. But I don't want to wait for the new iPhone every spring. Sure they could always pull an iPad 4 and come out with a new 4" iPhone in the autumn but I doubt it. I also want it to have current specs. It seems like it mostly will except 3D Touch. That's not a deal breaker for me but some rumors have suggested the camera will lag behind by a generation. That's not acceptable for me.

What I really want is a 4.7" iPhone 7 with a reduced bezel. My hands are a little bigger than average, so it's not a huge deal, but what I really hate is having to reach to the top of the screen. I'm really bad about using reachability and often just contort my hand crazily instead because everything is just out of reach. Shaving down that bottom chin (as well as top to make it even) would really help when palming it and trying to reach. Would make it almost like a 4" if they removed almost all of it, haha.

Dominion2009

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2016
I feel that the spec issue is not really an issue with the iPhone. I've been using Android for years and always felt that I needed the latest phone. Not necessarily becuase of an updated Camara or screen but rather the software updated to the latest where you'd be waiting 6 months unless it's Nexus. I've been using an IPhone 5 for a few weeks and I think it's great. It won't take much for me to love the se I think, especially knowing that he Apple will make it run good for a long time through software. I've always found iphone cameras underrated so no problem there even if 1 or 2 generations old imo

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I'm good for now with the 6s (my first smartphone), but I may go smaller in 2017 when my 2yr contract is up.

Only reason I went to 4.7" was because there was no way I would buy an iPhone with only 1gb in 2015 and they didn't have anything smaller screen-wise, so I'm definitely interested in what Apple will unveil .

Last edited:

GalFieri

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2016
California
I'm pretty eager to see what Apple has in store. The iPhone 6s is still a little big for me and I'd love something smaller.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
SO has a 5c and doesn't want a bigger phone like my 6S. Upgrade available on their phone, so will probably just get them a whatever SE that comes out next week. Just hoping for something more than 32GB really cause they've been out of space for a while now. >.<

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
SO has a 5c and doesn't want a bigger phone like my 6S. Upgrade available on their phone, so will probably just get them a whatever SE that comes out next week. Just hoping for something more than 32GB really cause they've been out of space for a while now. >.<
They should have 64gb.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Well...5 more days to go. Then we'll finally know about this highly rumored SE. Still think ill wait for the 7; but watching the keynote may sway me.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Well...5 more days to go. Then we'll finally know about this highly rumored SE. Still think ill wait for the 7; but watching the keynote may sway me.

I'll be swayed if it has an A9 processor and 2GB of ram. I want another iPhone that will last me a long time. Otherwise my iPhone 5 is fine apart from the dismal battery under iOS 9.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I'll be swayed if it has an A9 processor and 2GB of ram. I want another iPhone that will last me a long time. Otherwise my iPhone 5 is fine apart from the dismal battery under iOS 9.
I guess I'd say I will be swayed if I try one in the AS and find the size more comfortable than my 6.

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
I think I'll upgrade from a 6s Plus if the SE seems like a device that'd be upgraded annually. Rumors and leaks have been spot on from this point in the iPhone cycle, and iPhone 7 leaks are discouraging to me, so I may not mind being a little behind.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I think I'll upgrade from a 6s Plus if the SE seems like a device that'd be upgraded annually. Rumors and leaks have been spot on from this point in the iPhone cycle, and iPhone 7 leaks are discouraging to me, so I may not mind being a little behind.
I agree that the 7 rumors have been disappointing, I was hoping for a major redesign. Depends on which new features they bring with it.

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
I agree that the 7 rumors have been disappointing, I was hoping for a major redesign. Depends on which new features they bring with it.
Me too. I don't know exactly what I want in a redesign, but I know that I don't like the design of the 6 series. To me, it's ergonomically uncomfortable but I do love the relatively better battery and premium features I have with the 6s Plus.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Me too. I don't know exactly what I want in a redesign, but I know that I don't like the design of the 6 series. To me, it's ergonomically uncomfortable but I do love the relatively better battery and premium features I have with the 6s Plus.
Same. I just want something different in design, whatever that is. I guess it's not that big of a deal, I do like my 6 and its design; however, the lack of significant design changes in the 7 do make me think of going to the SE

sleepyking

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Same. I just want something different in design, whatever that is. I guess it's not that big of a deal, I do like my 6 and its design; however, the lack of significant design changes in the 7 do make me think of going to the SE

I agree with both of these. I never use a case on my phones and like the 5S better than the 6. Given the latest news that it'll almost match every spec of the 6S (aside from 3D Touch), am highly considering trading in the 6 for credit towards the SE.

If it comes with 2GB ram. I will swap for sure

Zagor13

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2016
now that we know SE will be same or identical shape as 5s I'm even more happier; I prefer square edges for easier handling and definitely phones on the smaller side and all I have to decide is how to get rid of my 6s which has ugly curved edges and is too big to be used comfortably. I hate and do not use cases for phones as they make the phone bulky and ugly but I tell you this 6s is a biotech to hold, slippery as a snake and did I mention too big to be used comfortably (off course I can use even larger brick phone if have to, but I don't want to).

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
now that we know SE will be same or identical shape as 5s I'm even more happier; I prefer square edges for easier handling and definitely phones on the smaller side and all I have to decide is how to get rid of my 6s which has ugly curved edges and is too big to be used comfortably. I hate and do not use cases for phones as they make the phone bulky and ugly but I tell you this 6s is a biotech to hold, slippery as a snake and did I mention too big to be used comfortably (off course I can use even larger brick phone if have to, but I don't want to).

Certainly square vs. round is a personal preference, but I have the original iPhone, and when I got the 5s holding them at the same time, I much prefer the rounded sides. It jest feels more comfortable in my hand. Even over a year later the 5s feels hard, and uncomfortable.

The 6 is clearly closer to the product Steve Jobs tried to make with the original phone. And for me the original iPhone is far more comfortable. I've handled the 6, and didn't particularly notice it was "slippery", but maybe I was focused on it just being too big for my taste. We'll see how the SE handles. Maybe simply having the rounded edges in a smaller form factor like the original iPhone will be enough to take the slipperiness out of it.

Reactions: Jetcat3

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Sounds like there are a lot of people who reluctantly switched to the 6, and are eager to get back to the smaller size.
Personally I still don't really know if I want the SE or not. I really enjoy my 6 but I think the SE could be a very comfortable size.

Count me in as one of those.

Reactions: catean

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Count me in as one of those.
I'd say I was one of those. I loved my 5s and didn't want a 6, but I got an unexpected upgrade and I had seen the 6 used by a family member a few days before and started to think the size might be nice. I was right, I really enjoy it. However, I may really enjoy the SE too. I'll decide after the keynote and probably after I see it in store.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
No.

I want the "5.5 Samsung Galaxy S7 edge and ASUS Zenfone Max instead. I simply can't go back to screens smaller than "4.5

But to Apple's credit, the iPhone 5se looks better than any of the iPhone 6 series and perhaps better than the iPhone 7 series. The iPhone 5s was the pinnacle to iPhone design since the original from 2007. I used to love the iPhone 4 series design, but I have to say the 5s surpasses it because of the Touch ID on the front and metal back. My biggest qualm with the S7 edge is the glass back and having a glass back is barely any better than glossy plastic. If you can live with "4 again, then the iPhone 5se is the ultimate refinement of the 5s and best compact phone since the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact.

Reactions: ABC5S

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005

I'm pretty sure per the latest rumors that the edges won't be squarish. It's probably going to look like an iPhone 5s with the rounded edges and glass of the iPhone 6.

wolfedude88

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2013
Indiana
I'm pretty sure per the latest rumors that the edges won't be squarish. It's probably going to look like an iPhone 5s with the rounded edges and glass of the iPhone 6.

Actually the current rumors suggest it will be almost identical to the 5s. 9to5 "Mark" who has been reliable states it will "include potentially slightly rounded, more matte edges in comparison to the sharp, shiny, and scratch-prone chamfered edges of the iPhone 5s." But will look nearly identical according to him.

Also they said it should be able to fit in iphone 5/s cases, but the leaked cases are slightly off on fit for the 5s that have been tested.

Reactions: willmtaylor

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I wouldn't mind of the design remains mostly the same as the 5s, but I would like to see a bit of a change just to mix things up as they have had the 5 design since 2012.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.