Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonessodarally

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2006
I'm betting Apple will also add a "top ringtones" list somewhere on the front page of the iTunes store. Maybe even a whole ringtones category. That would sure make it easier to find them.

Yes, Please. It's a nightmare finding any right now.

drater

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
For some reason on the right hand sidebar in itunes, I don't have a bell symbol next to ringtones, I have a ipod symbol. Does anyone else have this? I had some of my own ringotnes prior to the ringtone unlock from apple.

I am running itunes 7.4.1 on a powerbook with 10.4.10?
I tryed to erase the ringtones and reload, i even bought a stupid ringtone to see if it would change it, but have had no luck

that is funky.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
I just made my ringtone. Making it was easy, but getting all the bell icons and stuff in the sidebar wasn't. I had to pull a command-j and select ringtones. Only about 15 songs of mine were available, so I chose "Popular" by Nada Surf. I figured it's suiting ("I'm popular" as the phone rings).

Jowl

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2006
UK
I really don't get the mentality of paying for a tune you already own to have the 'privilege' of it as a ringtone. You can do it for free with every other phone via Bluetooth or USB. Not sure this will light any fires in the UK here... :rolleyes:

Is this a UK thing? Cos it seems insane to pay (again) for a ringtone like that. IMO you'd have to have more money than sense (yes I know it's only a dollar but it still seems crazy)

On my SE's, I just make an ringtone from any old mp3. Or even just stick the whole song on there

jonessodarally

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2006
Do a search for ringtone. A bunch of ringtones come up but none of them have the bell. LOL.

yeah i gave that a try too. rather funny. but its a good thing though, cause those frog ringers from a few years ago showed up and... if i ever have to hear those again, i may shoot myself.

springerj

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
Portland, OR
No longer available

Boy, as I go through my purchased songs looking for ring tone candidates, I'm getting a lot of "this song is no longer available in the itunes store." Must be that company that pulled out - universal? ugh.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Boy, as I go through my purchased songs looking for ring tone candidates, I'm getting a lot of "this song is no longer available in the itunes store." Must be that company that pulled out - universal? ugh.

It seems to display that error with any song that is not able to be a ring tone, I tried with songs that were purchased and songs that I ripped from CDs. I know these are not from Universal. Just seems like a default dialog box.

bkvideography

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2007
The trim feature never does what I want it to do! If I try to extend the length, it moves everything. PLEASE FIX!

dubby

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2007
lol

Apple is definitely trying to make known/shift the blame for not having all the songs available as ringtones...

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 92

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
The trim feature never does what I want it to do! If I try to extend the length, it moves everything. PLEASE FIX!

you have the move the cursor to the edge of the highlighted selection to extend the length. clicking and dragging it anywhere between will simply move the selection to another time frame. it takes a little getting used to.

i'm trying to find a good ringtone, but it's hard for me to do when i already invested $15 in itoner. i just want one ringtone to try it out. :eek:

Attachments

• iTunes.png
    iTunes.png
    53 KB · Views: 85

dubby

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2007
did this message just pop right up? I never got it. huh

lol it was under 5 minutes ago and I can't remember when it popped...

i made a quick ringtone out of "I'm shipping Up to Boston" by the Drop Kick Murphys (from "The Departed"), I believe it showed up right after I went through the process of acknowledging all the legal.

Since it took from the first song I thought a large percentage would be available, but scrolling through my purchased playlist, I would say under a third is available.

Also it's worth noting that only parts of some albums are available... ie all of the "The Best of Clapton..." sans "tears in heaven"... All of James Blunt's "Back to Bedlam" sans "you're beautiful"...

And others are the complete opposite... none of Gnarls Barkley's "St. Elsewhere," with the exception of "Crazy"... none of "Future/Sex Lovesounds" with the exception of SexyBack...

Hope this is helpful.

madbad01

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
I bought an iPhone while I was in L.A. but I live in Australia. I have a US iTunes Music Store account, will I have access to the ringtone maker??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.