Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
2015: "Let's get a bunch of CELEBRITIES to ware Apple watches".
2016: "Let's get a bunch of CELEBRITIES to sit in a car and sing".
2017: "Let's get a CELEBRITY to co-star in an advert with Siri".
2018: "Let's leak a subscription service and make it all about the CELEBRITIES".
2019: "Let's make a tentpole show about the most boomer CELEBRITY of all."

Sorry Tim, it takes more than the presence of celebrity to make something worth selling. It's just so lame and full of cringe. If you are worth having the talent comes to you, not the other way around. Apple is trying to buy a commodity that is as fake as their cares for prosumer products.

Yah but that’s what this world goes for. Cardasians etc.

Let’s see what Ron Howard puts out. He is good, so he is being paid, let’s see if it’s good tv.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
You saw some of the people mentioned in the keynote. I would say Spielberg, Abrams, and Shyamalan are respectful directors. You may not like them personally, but that doesn't mean they are crap.

I didn't bother watching the keynote. The directors you list are all finished creatively and just want a paycheck. Who else, please?

coasterider

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Washington, DC
How are they able to copy the Disney+ branding? I honestly thought going into this that they might announce a joint venture with the Disney+ anyway for the streaming service. But, it is just their own stand alone streaming option, which is just what we need.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Netflix in Canada still sucks actually. They disallow a lot of shows. You must use IP tunneling vpn to get the full Netflix. Not everyone even knows how to do that.

Can’t really complain here, tbh. Netflix also has the rights to CBS stuff etc as many streaming services arent available here. Which turns NF into a better deal here than in the US and Canada. We’re paying the same kind of money but get a ton of content from streaming services that would cost extra in North America.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I didn't bother watching the keynote. The directors you list are all finished creatively and just want a paycheck. Who else, please?

Look it up if you need more information. Again, you may think that, but it's not necessarily the case. Personally, I think Tarantino is finished and hasn't done a good film in years, but I wouldn't act like he is trash. If you don't like the service, cool no sweat, but they clearly have some talent involved.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Can’t really complain here, tbh. Netflix also has the rights to CBS stuff etc as many streaming services arent available here. Which turns NF into a better deal here than in the US and Canada. We’re paying the same kind of money but get a ton of content from streaming services that would cost extra in North America.

I was merely pointing out that Netflix is different in each country and not the same content. It’s still called Netflix, but not the same shows available.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Look it up if you need more information. Again, you may think that, but it's not necessarily the case. Personally, I think Tarantino is finished and hasn't done a good film in years, but I wouldn't act like he is trash. If you don't like the service, cool no sweat, but they clearly have some talent involved.

So no one better than Speilberg who didn't even turn up to the shooting of his last film, Abrams who will make any trash part of the "Cloverfield" universe so long as he gets paid, and Shyamalan who is hit and miss, mostly miss, and pays himself twice for each production.

Is there anyone who isn't just trading on a name?

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
So no one better than Speilberg who didn't even turn up to the shooting of his last film, Abrams who will make any trash part of the "Cloverfield" universe so long as he gets paid, and Shyamalan who is hit and miss, mostly miss, and pays himself twice for each production.

If you want more info, do some research. I am assuming none will be worthy of Khedron though, so probably not worth your time.

Reactions: freedomlinux

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008

I don’t have much of an idea how it works but I like watching TV just like everybody else

I really thought Netflix did a good job on the black mirror series so whoever directed that would be great to hire

I could probably make a list of what I would do if I was in control of the Apple movie budget. I’m not sure who is in charge of Apple I hope it’s not just Tim Cook deciding what to spend on and I also hope they’re not just using “clicks and likes Likes”

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
If you want more info, do some research. I am assuming none will be worthy of Khedron though, so probably not worth your time.

I'll do some research later when I have time. I was hoping you'd already have the information. So far you have literally named the 3 biggest hacks in Hollywood by most people's account.

CordovaLark

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2018
So all these announcements are all different subscriptions? Or they all under the same umbrella?

teme

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Is their objective to compete with Netflix?

Maybe it’s to get Apple everywhere.

Of course they are competing with Netflix, I think people have only 1-2 video subscriptions at the same time and Apple is competing each month with Netflix for that. If they are not doing this for money, then why? It's cross-platform service, so they aren't selling more hardware with that.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
I agree not everything has to be violence but Apple should allow creators do whatever they want even if they made an adult section for it I’m all for but Apple is just doing there way approach.
Apple is focusing on a family audience which I believe will be huge. There are so many shows that I will not allow my son to watch because of the unnecessary inappropriate content. The new versions of superhero shows I grew up with are completely out of line and have things I don’t want my kids exposed to. It’s sad. The adult section is what the Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix apps are for. Let’s not forget Showtime and HBO. Even broadcast TV has very little in family programming outside of singing competitions.

Hym tix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I most definitely saw a $10.99 price on the livestream when they were doing the demo.

I most definitely am not going to bore myself by watching the entire thing again to get a screenshot. Apple probably edited it out anyway.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Of course they are competing with Netflix, I think people have only 1-2 video subscriptions at the same time and Apple is competing each month with Netflix for that. If they are not doing this for money, then why? It's cross-platform service, so they aren't selling more hardware with that.

Money comes in many ways. Not just subscriptions. This could be way for Apple to sandbag their position . For example, with cable tv internet providers.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is the messiest Apple event ever. It’s all over the place. The game announcement immediately lost its impact when they said it won’t launch till the fall. Why not just announce and release it with iOS 13? The celebrities introducing their shows was boring. Spielberg and the Pakistani actor had me dozing off. My soul left my body when Big Bird showed up.

Edit: the previews for the shows looks boring.

And you're just one person (along with the 16 people that liked your post). Remember, you're not everybody. Some people were very engaged by what was presented, for different reasons than you have. Just because "you" find something boring doesn't mean it was boring for everyone.

Content aside, the underlying message from Apple was that they are trying to transform an aging industry, and deliver that classic Apple experience. And they are doing it.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Apple is focusing on a family audience which I believe will be huge. There are so many shows that I will not allow my son to watch because of the unnecessary inappropriate content. The new versions of superhero shows I grew up with are completely out of line and have things I don’t want my kids exposed to. It’s sad. The adult section is what the Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix apps are for. Let’s not forget Showtime and HBO. Even broadcast TV has very little in family programming outside of singing competitions.

Yeah. That’s the thing. It’s probably smart for Apple to stay goody two shoes.

Too much violence etc on tv shows. Too many murder stories. I like shows with machine guns and all that, but yeah, the style of violence on tv has gotten to be demoralizing. Taking the high road is good.

Reactions: jmpstar

teejaysplace24

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2007
Los Angeles, California
High-end post-production facilities do not use iMac Pros. iMac Pros simply don’t have the power and modularity we need. So I’ll turn your comment on yourself: you clearly haven’t worked at real post-production facilities with rooms and rooms of Linux and Windows machines, running on NVIDIA graphics.
Not to mention paying an absurd amount of money for an eye-searing monitor that most of us hate. I've never, in my life, seen a professional edit suite with an iMac. I don't look under the desk much, but I normally see folks trying to squeeze out every last bit of performance from older Mac Pros. (I do the same with Apple's old, blessedly matte Cinema Displays.) I know one guy who has an iMac Pro, which he got primarily to do 4K AE effects on the side, and he's already frustrated with it.

Reactions: MrBat

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
And Disney plus will have far more shows everyday people are willing to spend money on

It is not hard to imagine that AppleTV+ (needs a better name) can be a Disney+ (hmm same deal) complimentary service.

I believe Disney is catering to the 0-18 age group and Apple to the 12-36 age group with a family. Will their service please everyone, nope it does not have to. Similar to the iPod, iPhone, iPad and iTunes, Apple took its times and refined the segment. Won’t debate about borrowing technologies and concepts from competitors as all companies contribute to this practise.

Not interested in this service now, see how it ferments. Netflix has a pile of original content debt that boggles the mind, I would not be surprised if price hikes come forth to sustain original content creation.

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
I'm so sick of all these companies moving to subscription type services.
Sadly, this is where tech is going. We went from buying hardware and software, to free-with-ads, to subscriptions. Think about how much of your paycheck is going to all these nickel-and-dime subscriptions.

I remember when Steve Jobs said "People want to own music, not rent it". He was supposed to be their big visionary, now look where we are...subscribing to storage, news, video, music...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.