Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masteroflondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
London, UK
Am I the only one who thinks that these external displays render the Touch Bar quite useless since you are most likely going to use an external keyboard? :)

Until such time as they add it to the external keyboards, I'll be torn between docking to the large screen and using the touch bar. Maybe it's good the 5K isn't out yet, it'll allow me to decide more easily at first :)

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
You're so wrong it almost hurts. These monitors are basically a steal, and that's a very good thing, any way you slice it.

Really? they look like decent value at the current reduced prices, but if the price goes back up in January, no - this isn't any sort of "steal" unless, when the honest reviews come in, the display quality puts it in the top drawer of 4k displays.

The 4k model has very little "docking" capability: using USB-C means that (unavoidably) you can't provide USB 3.1 speeds on the same cable as 4k@60Hz video - so you're not going to be hanging hard drives or gigabit ethernet off it. Who knows what the speakers are like - given that the new MBPs are supposed to have pretty good speakers anyway (and we know from the iPads that Apple are good at small speakers). If you're going to need a hub/dock as well then the advantages of this display over a cheaper, generic 4k display are nil.

The 5k model looks more hopeful - with TB3 bandwidth you could hang Gb ethernet and a backup drive or two off this - and the speakers are joined by a mic and webcam. Plus, there aren't a lot of 5k choices out there.

Deal breaker for me, on both, is the lack of any other video inputs - I have a ton of other equipment that I might want to connect to my "good" display from time to time - spare mac, linux box, PC, raspberry Pi - and virtually every other 3rd-party monitor has at least one other, switchable, input - including LG's other USB-C offering: https://9to5mac.com/2016/06/04/lg-27ud88-w-usb-c-4k-monitor-macbook-review/

Otherwise, at least when the discount ends, what you have here is a third-party display, at Apple prices, with Apple-style gimped connectivity and without Apple-style good looks. Feels like Apple dictated the specs and LG designed the box, which is exactly the wrong way round...

But this is so ugly. And the details are wrong. The forehead. The rear Power plus is in odd location off-center so cable drops down side versus behind the support pole. The thick tick support tube and ugly base. And the cheap plastic.

I'm telling myself that the "forehead" must be a mistake in what is almost inevitably a computer-rendered image of a product that isn't finished yet. Apart from that - I'd say its just unremarkable-looking.

I guess they've painted themselves into a corner by offering a choice of MacBook colours: black goes with anything.

Now, you may argue that they should have gone thunderbolt 3 like the 5K for $100 more, but this way it's compatible with the rMB.

If that's their thinking, its stupid. The rMB has survived for almost 2 years without an external display & is quite limited in what it can drive display-wise. Plus, the next refresh of the rMB will probably have Kaby Lake chips which, I believe, have TB3 on-chip, so it should have Thunderbolt.

TB3 would have made this more credible as a combined monitor/dock and justified the (undiscounted) price hike over regular 4k displays.

The other dumb move on both of these displays: only having USB-C output ports. Its not like these are ultra-thin devices, there's plenty of space for a USB-A port or two...

BarcelonaPaul

Suspended
Jul 1, 2015
There is little margin in displays. So Apple will just partner with LG and maybe others to let them do the legwork. We are getting these monitors for half what Apple wanted for the old Thunderbolt Display.

But that's not the point. That's not the Apple ethos. Apple is about design, personality, attention to detail, the wow factor. Sadly this does not share those values. It could be connected to a cheap Windows tower and sadly, your desk would not look any different. Craziest thing that i've ever seen from Apple. It's like Ferrari adding a IKEA interior and dashboard to their cars!

high3r

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2015
Hungary
Until such time as they add it to the external keyboards, I'll be torn between docking to the large screen and using the touch bar. Maybe it's good the 5K isn't out yet, it'll allow me to decide more easily at first :)

I don't think the external wireless Touch Bar keyboard is an option. If I remember right I read somewhere that Touch Bar is connected via USB internally. Even Bluetooth 5 has only a fraction of the bandwidth that usb offers. Perhaps a wired Touch Bar keyboard would be possible but this would be against Apple's go all wireless philosophy. :)

riverpoet

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2008
Next thing you know they'll stop making Apple keyboards, and then the iMac as Tim uses his iPad Pro for everything he does, so why would anyone need an iMac, they can have the Macbooks if they don't want iPads!
BTW what is Jony Ive's function these days, narrating commercials? He seems either not to care anymore or doesn't have the influence he had as Apple's iconic design seems to be MIA, last seen circa 2013...

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
At least the desktop picture is still available. And with some aluminium duct tape or spray... (and vintage Apple sticker ;-)
spot o my friend. in particular when you illustrate the link between user, needs and benefits. and that's the missing link we have today with Apple: it is self-referred and detached from the pro-/user-community who creates great stuff.

There might be a shift to medical and fitness, since they want to enter these markets. But why throw away and get upset he greatly involved user base that you have already? Why they don't want to be a trendsetter in the creative community, as they used to do, is beyond me. Why let the Pro just linger like that? Why not selling the iMac without computing part as display? They have all this talent and passion and resources...

They are baby-boomers and at their age, they are concerned about health and still have the itch to work out like the 80's with Jane Fonda and is why they are moving into the health business. :). If they still just make products that they want, it shows in their product lines. Close to retirement...want lighter thin products, a watch, bigger screens on phones because their eyes are going a little, and regarding music, do you think that they pay a subscription for all of their music? They probably get it free from their big database, so no need for iPods anymore where you use to have to physically use a DVD or CD player to burn your songs to the iPod. They got rid of the CD & DVD players when they no longer needed them as iTunes started to store all of peoples music...on their servers. I think it may be easy to see why things are what they are at apple. "They make products that THEY want..." they have said that before and believe they are still doing it.

Again, they do not need the money anymore for production stuff. Only Steve Jobs was into other things that needed some power (like animation and video, i.e. Pixar). So the product offerings reflect what they are into now. Ivy doing Christmas tree designs and probably working on some type of light bulb etc. Good for them, bad for us who still need production computers.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
For example, point out how they expect Apple to be the premium product and technology leader for professionals, then say how they could build their own computer for 1/2 the price.

The trouble with these displays is that the look exactly like the sort of thing you ought to be able to get for - well, not half the price, but considerably less than the original pre-discount price. They certainly don't look like they have the Apple "fit & finish".

The proof of the pudding will be the independent, in-depth reviews of the display quality - only then will we know whether these are competing with $500 bargain-bucket 4k souped-up-UHD TVs or $800+ pro displays. Trouble is, the LG 4k display's docking capability is so compromised (no USB-A, no ethernet, no webcam, no mic, only USB 2 bandwidth) that I don't see it's USB-C as a big selling point c.f. a regular DisplayPort monitor.
[doublepost=1478955826][/doublepost]
Am I the only one who thinks that these external displays render the Touch Bar quite useless since you are most likely going to use an external keyboard? :)

No.

Until such time as they add it to the external keyboards,

Do you really think they going to produce a full-sized keyboard (with numeric pad and full-sized cursor keys) with decent key travel (its an external keyboard - it can be more than 1mm thick!) with a "touch bar"?

Flap. Oink.

I actually like the current wired "chicket" keyboard, but the new "butterfly" keys are a step too far. Others will let you take their big clattery full-travel keyboard when you prise it from their cold, dead fingers. Then there's all those "custom" keyboards marked up for pro video editing software, ergonomic keyboards, alternate layouts etc. A big point of having an external keyboard is that you get to choose the one that suits you. In fact, the Apple wired aluminium keyboard w/number pad is the first - and probably the last - Apple branded keyboard that I've actually liked.

So, I don't object to the touch bar but I certainly can't get excited about it.

Reactions: racingbull

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
But this is so ugly. And the details are wrong. The forehead. The rear Power plus is in odd location off-center so cable drops down side versus behind the support pole. The thick tick support tube and ugly base. And the cheap plastic. So much for caring about the environment.

How times are changing. People were called "sheeple how buy form over function" for buying nicely-designed Apple gear. And now we have reverse-sheeple who look at some rather debatable design details instead of looking at the pixels of this display, at brightness, colour gamut and so on.
[doublepost=1478956917][/doublepost]
I wonder if two of those can be driven from the two TB Ports on a 2015 model?
There are three 15" 2015 rMBP models. The most expensive one can drive 1x 5K or 2x 4K, same as the new 13". The cheaper 15" can drive 1x 4K. The new 15" can drive 2x 5K or four of these 4K displays.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan

Nope. Most of my intense work done at the desk in the room in the apartment hooked up to the tbolt display currently. And the keyboard (apple wired one...despite some's opinions I am actually heavily vested in the apple ecosystem lol) runs from that.

Not saying you can't do intense work off the big display (inb4 some butthurt comment from someone saying I do all my stuff no big display, how these threads seem to go these days). I like my huge ass raws on the big screen. Have 6000 by 4000 ish images to look and work over or staring at FCP for hours at times I like to reduce the eye strain on a bigger layout. So lets give them some space I say.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
yep and you can not seem to convince people that the sky is not falling and the they are not interested in the mac line cause they do not make a display any more. I think they took a real hard look at it and said it will cost us X to make a new display and buy the guts of this display the will ship any way. They could have marked it up for the sheep but they mad the bold choice to walk away from the market and let some one else have the sales and not treat there customers like sheep. I know they mark the rest of it up and its still sheep this and sheep that. I can however say the left the display market and the power market. The two large pain points

Given that logic, then Apple could have saved millions in R&D and just partnered with Dell or Asus (or anyone) and slapped macOS on any existing laptop and called it a day! Why didn't they? Because design and looks defines Apple. If the parts of a monitor are mostly already made and they just have to design a chassis and pop in the parts, Apple could have a monitor that fits with the Apple vision, for very little cost. So what that they aren't making 50% profit like all their other products?

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
How times are changing. People were called "sheeple how buy form over function" for buying nicely-designed Apple gear. And now we have reverse-sheeple who look at some rather debatable design details instead of looking at the pixels of this display, at brightness, colour gamut and so on.
[doublepost=1478956917][/doublepost]
There are three 15" 2015 rMBP models. The most expensive one can drive 1x 5K or 2x 4K, same as the new 13". The cheaper 15" can drive 1x 4K. The new 15" can drive 2x 5K or four of these 4K displays.

Yes, but Apple taught their users to expect this...both design and quality. Why does it have to be one or the other now?

Reactions: Aldaris

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
You're so wrong it almost hurts. These monitors are basically a steal, and that's a very good thing, any way you slice it.

The Apple we know it's alive and kicking, just read the first *real* impressions from real pros about the new MBPs: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/thomas-grove-carter/one-professionals-look-at_b_12894856.html

After reading the article, it doesn't really address the gripes people have with the new MBP. People aren't saying it's not powerful, not capable of editing 5K videos on dual 5K monitors. This guy happens to use USB external storage that already comes with USB-C connectors. 99% of everyone else don't. This guy, considering what he does, mostly uses his MBP in a desktop-like environment where he doesn't have to carry endless numbers of dongles around to fit any need that might arise. This guy is but one "professional" that this model happens to work for him. As you can see in these forums, for every one of him, there are 99 others that this design doesn't work for.

But, it was a good read and had some great info about the power of the nMBP with 5K monitors.

Reactions: sofila

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Next thing you know they'll stop making Apple keyboards, and then the iMac as Tim uses his iPad Pro for everything he does, so why would anyone need an iMac, they can have the Macbooks if they don't want iPads!
BTW what is Jony Ive's function these days, narrating commercials? He seems either not to care anymore or doesn't have the influence he had as Apple's iconic design seems to be MIA, last seen circa 2013...

Commodities don't need iconic designs. Both Macs and iPhones are now commodities. Displays are out. The iCar is out. VR is in, but it does not take a design guru to come up with something better than any of the ugly VR headsets in the market today. And VR headset success is likely, at least for the time being, going to be based on capability and specs. Finally, for Ive's thinness and weightless approach the VR technology will have to be at least an order of magnitude better than today. Hmmmm, looks like you are correct. No need for Ive right now.

canonical

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
I've followed Apple for 18 years, and I know one thing, Steve would have never done this.

Just UGLY.

Lol - it even takes a 3-pin power plug in the rear ... which aside from being clumsy, also means that all the heat is generated in the monitor itself.
[doublepost=1478961616][/doublepost]
Commodities don't need iconic designs. Both Macs and iPhones are now commodities. Displays are out.

Displays are out??? What nonsense.

thedommer2000

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
Definitely getting a 5k 27 inch display.... in a few years when they are bezel free and my 2007 24 inch has died. Plus now i have a great secondary monitor with the laptop screen.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Promoting this ugly POS is the best indicator that something is wrong with Apple.

Come on, it looks like this display is standing on its head.

Even I know Steve Jobs would never EVER have allowed this.
Hell, you can buy monitors from almost anywhere with nicer stands.

It would have taken NOTHING for Apple to Ask LG to use a stand more in keeping with the current Apple style of products.

Crazy.

I can only think it's deliberate and Apple want it to look bad against an Apple product as they don't wish anyone to think that anyone else can make something that looks nice.

It has to be delibrate

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Its a monitor made by third party. It has nothing to do with Ive, even if he disliked it, they would sell anyway. So no need for fuss. Mac users are not only buyers of these monitors. So it looks quite OK, and I don't spend all time looking at the bezels of the display. I look at what's on the display.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
I love LG probably I will buy one next year.
[doublepost=1478946393][/doublepost]They a

They are fine for Keyboard and mouse, sure I will think FW, Eth, USB3 would be a better choice for this display but you can buy adapters on internet verycheap like usb-c with 1x SDXC 1x HDMI 4K 1x USB-C 3x USB-A for 50$

Just what you should buy with a new 4K monitor, which Apple called "the best docking station". A dongle!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.