Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
Great post! More people, myself included at times, should think like this. Trading anxiety and anger for contentment sounds like a pretty good upgrade ?
Well said, and something I remind myself about often. The funny thing about the actual cost of things we bring into our lives... after a short while I don't even remember the exact price I paid, because I'm immensely enjoying the item (hopefully). To be sure, there have been times I've experienced feelings of disappointment for not using Apple Pay when it was available, and thus received 1% back instead of 2% (or worse, back during that Discover Card promo).

Is it even worth spending the mental energy on regret over something so trivial? Well, here I am reading this thread anyway. Hmm.

Now, when it comes to EOL of the item, that's actually more of a frustration. Getting rid of the old gadgets taking up space in some drawer, so even better to not invite unnecessary stuff into our homes in the first place... ah, but the fruit tastes so good!

Reactions: Kierkegaarden

FriedEngineer

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
Utah
3% here. Got the base 14” MBP w/ EDU discount and on the 12 month installments. I have been an Apple Card holder since the beginning and got the 6% when they ran it 2 years ago.

Without more data to determine what’s going on (new users, non-edu, which models exactly, and the tons of other factors) I’m just going to sit tight and be excited about my laptop arriving on Tuesday.

Attachments

• 24995F58-4D51-4EAC-876A-FCEFF16F589D.jpeg
    24995F58-4D51-4EAC-876A-FCEFF16F589D.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 52

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
While Apple is a US company, this doesn't make them look good in international eyes.

Issues:

1. For starters US is only place with Apple Card, so only US buyers get 12-24 months easy interest free credit on everything bought via their Apple Card. Non-US buyers however are being expected to suck-up 15% APR rates options from Apple's credit partners (Barclays & Paypal), with no interest free credit facilities (outside of iPhones). Who at Apple thought that was a decent idea, as devices get more & more expensive?​
2. Apple Card already gives US purchasers 3% off already.​
3. Now the same group of buyers are being another 3% discount, on top of the previous 3%.​

International buyers already have to pay more for items, yet we get now are offered no interest free credit at all, nor any discounts on things like a new MBP costing £6K+. OK, we don't expect the cashback discounts, but also withdrawing our usual interest free credit is ridiculous – it turns a £6K cost into a £7K cost. no thanks.

It really does make Apple come across as money-grabbing off their loyal non-US international buyers at every turn. ?
The Apple Card is issued by Goldman Sachs. They are new to the credit card industry as a whole, and perhaps didn't want to deal with issuing in non-US markets.

Reactions: xmach

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Hopefully, Apple does the right thing and retroactively gives 6% cash back to us, their biggest and/or most desperate fans.
I got the 6% for my MacBook Pro pre-order, which is supposed to deliver on Tuesday.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
I signed up for Apple Card during my MacBook Pro preorder, arriving Tuesday. Though, I cannot see latest transactions on the card like people are showing here. I see the 12 month installment plan of the notebook before tax, so I assume the random "New Balance" of $300+ is the tax separate. I tried accessing my account on a desktop, checked the Apple Card in the phone's wallet, and the Apple Store app, it will not show transactinos.

dyvog

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
northwest / america
Neither my 10/18 Preorder of a MBP M1Max (which hasn't appeared on my Apple Card anyways) nor my
10/21 AirTags order display 6%... Apple Card Goldman Sachs says that there is no 6% back promotion.

• Wow
Reactions: jimthing

Wxchaser

macrumors P6
Oct 28, 2017
I just spoke with Goldman Sachs/Apple Card and a supervisor said the mistake (6% cash back) is on Apple's end and not with Goldman Sachs.

I don't see a way out of this mistake for Apple - they must make it unilateral or provide polishing cloths for the entire planet, lol.

It does intrigue me - my 16" MBP Pro would net me $105.27 - where 6% obviously would be ~$210.00.
For all the dingles & dongles, chargers, docks, etc. this would be somewhat of a reward back from Apple.

I've had and used Apple Card since inception. ATTM that is all i know.

Reactions: xmach

Wxchaser

macrumors P6
Oct 28, 2017
Chatting with Apple Support now to hear their end of the story.

Told to call 1-800–692–7753
Apple Online Support (US)

Getting the run run run around!

On hold for phone call.

Wondering how many hours of my life I have waited in lines or on phone calls with Apple!

Final results: NADA. They hadn't a clue, leaving it up to editor's and journalists to sort this confusion out. My detective work is complete.

Last edited:

kckeller

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2020
I’d at least take the store credit for a future purchase. Personally, I feel it’d better than nothing if they refused to credit my card the difference
The entire amount would be store credit though. I guess if I wanted to commit to buying an iPad I could, but I prefer having that money back in my bank account. Either $260 in a cash refund for me, or $340 that has to be spent at Apple in the future. I don't really want to hang on to Apple credit and let the temptation to buy more loom over me.

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Ordered 2 mbps Pretty much the same time. First one charged 11 hours ago with 3% and the sEcon’s charged 5 hours ago with 6%

good stuff, but still feel I’m missing out on the first unit.

update- 6% on a 16” mid range stock configuration and 3% on a 14” custom order.

Last edited:

OhMyMy

Suspended
Oct 21, 2021
Ordered 2 mbps Pretty much the same time. First one charged 11 hours ago with 3% and the sEcon’s charged 5 hours ago with 6%

Did you use the installments or Edu pricing?

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007

Does the 6 percent apply for EDU orders as well?

shadylane

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2015
I would like to know the following:

1. Has anyone who used the EDU discount also receive the 6%. If so, what model did you buy?

2. Is the 6% better than the Edu + 3% combo

3. I bought an iPhone that won’t ship until next week. Will they qualify for the 6%?

OhMyMy

Suspended
Oct 21, 2021
I would like to know the following:

1. Has anyone who used the EDU discount also receive the 6%. If so, what model did you buy?

2. Is the 6% better than the Edu + 3% combo

3. I bought an iPhone that won’t ship until next week. Will they qualify for the 6%?
Edu pricing with 3% is better than 6% on retail. I ordered using Edu discount as well and I’m seeing 3% currently. I’ll wait until the charge to be posted to see if I qualify for 6%.

ZacKaffeine

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
The entire amount would be store credit though. I guess if I wanted to commit to buying an iPad I could, but I prefer having that money back in my bank account. Either $260 in a cash refund for me, or $340 that has to be spent at Apple in the future. I don't really want to hang on to Apple credit and let the temptation to buy more loom over me.
Oh no no. I thought you meant they were willing to give you the $80 difference as a store credit. I don’t blame you for not wanting to tie that much up; I don’t think I would either.

Last edited:

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Getting the run run run around!

On hold for phone call.

Wondering how many hours of my life I have waited in lines or on phone calls with Apple!
Yes, many Apple CS agents just don't have the info available.

I phoned them twice now trying to find out... (for a 16" MBP) can buyers "top-up" annually each year of AppleCare+ after the initial 3-yrs if you pay up front for them – or have you got to pay annually for AC+ from the start?

They had no idea whatsoever. We both looked at the T+C's for AC+ on MBPs, where this is not made clear at all. Utter omni-shambles! :confused:

Reactions: Wxchaser

ZacKaffeine

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016

I phoned them twice now trying to find out... (for a 16" MBP) can buyers "top-up" annually each year of AppleCare+ after the initial 3-yrs if you pay up front for them – or have you got to pay annually for AC+ from the start?

They had no idea whatsoever. We both looked at the T+C's for AC+ on MBPs, where this is not made clear at all. Utter omni-shambles! :confused:
If I understand your question correctly, you have the option to move over to the annual fee after the 3 years. That’s what I plan to do. I just read a couple Apple pages today to answer the same question. Let me find you the links.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
If I understand your question correctly, you have the option to move over to the annual fee after the 3 years. That’s what I plan to do. I just read a couple Apple pages today to answer the same question. Let me find you the links.
If we can, that would be great! Yeah if you've got some useful links and quotes from the text that explain this is possible, that would be super-useful. Thanks!

EDIT: (for 16" MBP Max Macs) UK pricing for AC+ is £349 for first 3-yrs or £129.99 per year (i.e. £390 for 3-yrs). Hence It'd save a few bucks to buy the 3-yrs upfront, then top-up extra yrs from year 4 onwards.

ZacKaffeine

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 5.47.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 5.49.05 PM.png

So when you click "here," it takes you to the second photo. Second bullet would apply to us.
Does this help? Or have I given you what you already know lol?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.