Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Oh god, that looks seriously ugly and reminds me of a mouth face a cartoon character called Pingu made. Only, Pingu looked cute while this looks seriously ugly. Kindly refrain from posting large images of ugly products.

yeah that the most important part of earbuds, looking cool especially because my ears have eyes...

eec091

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2017
In 1993, WIRED made a bold prediction--that technology would radically change our world

What a spot on and eerily accurate prediction. Up to that point technology had kept the world much the same for thousands of years.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
Wow. I don’t think I’ve ever read so much distilled, toxic hatred about something so unimportant. And mostly not even contextually relevant. Some of you guys should be plain embarrassed with yourselves. You sound like petulant children stamping your feet and throwing your toys out of the pram. Jumping off cliffs, lemmings blah blah blah.

Half these posts are simply one-upmanship to see who can moan the most in as few words as possible. Someone is moaning - quick - I must have my whining voice heard also! As is the modern trend. Just buy something else and go about your day FFS. You’ll live longer. Goodness gracious what a fuss about nothing :D

If Mr. Ive ends up reading any of this drivel - please keep up the good work, sir, and ignore these clowns.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
yeah that the most important part of earbuds, looking cool especially because my ears have eyes...

I get what you are saying, but, unless I have lost my ability to see, I would usually have to see them before I plug them in my ears.

Having said that, I would always value function over form, in the sense that between a comparison of oranges and oranges, I could pick the ugliest of the lot for its stellar performance. However, if they are all the same, or even similar, I would always value form and/over function.

I have an Audio Technica M50x with me which is not the best-looking piece of hardware out there for the price. I took it because I value audio quality over how the headphones look. That they do not look bad is a bonus. For the same price as that M50x, I would not ever pick the best-looking of the lot if I had to compromise on the sound.
[doublepost=1532678633][/doublepost]
Wow. I don’t think I’ve ever read so much distilled, toxic hatred about something so unimportant. And mostly not even contextually relevant. Some of you guys should be plain embarrassed with yourselves. You sound like petulant children stamping your feet and throwing your toys out of the pram. Jumping off cliffs, lemmings blah blah blah.

Half these posts are simply one-upmanship to see who can moan the most in as few words as possible. Someone is moaning - quick - I must have my whining voice heard also! As is the modern trend. Just buy something else and go about your day FFS. You’ll live longer. Goodness gracious what a fuss about nothing :D

If Mr. Ive ends up reading any of this drivel - please keep up the good work, sir, and ignore these clowns.

Using the word 'buffoons' would have been more condescending.

You and I are both proving your own point. ;)

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Tim Cook is the one who fired or least go back to his old job. I don't think Ive has had the same hands on level of input as he used too. Tim has been the one making the final decisions. Tim Cook management is ruining Apple.

Reactions: Lioness~

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
So the man is to speak at an event and the so-called apple faithful on here want a lynching / resignation for possibly the only designer in the world that the man in the street could name......
There a quite a few who don’t understand the roles of the product management, engineering and marketing groups, and thus blame Ive for the thinness of devices and disappearance of older-style ports.

They imagine him with the power to command battery sizes and override the protestations of thermal engineers as he decrees: “this device shall be 8.39 mm and not one nanometer thicker”. And then engineers scurry off to dutifully remove ports, fans and battery capacity in order to comply.

Don’t even try to explain that’s not how things work at Apple, they “know” he has more power than even Cook when it comes to deciding the technical specs of Apple’s devices. They “just know” that if Ive wants thinner, he gets thinner, even if the marketing spec of ten hours battery life for MBP must be cut in half for him to get his wish.

Reactions: artfossil

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
Apple made a fortune and still does (Partly) because of Ive (and his team).
I'd say its more to do with the software/experience than the hardware.
[doublepost=1532692050][/doublepost]
Negative feedback only from the few here and elsewhere on forums, they have record sales every year so that says something.
If Apples market share goes down in some markets, some people must not be happy.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Jony Ive is one of the greatest ever industrial designers.

However, I would like to see him oversee products that are:

• More durable (ie cases are optional)
  • Less thin (‘nuff said)
  • Which means there’s room for:
    • bigger batteries
    • processors that have ‘room to breathe’
    • Mechanisms to allow RAM & SSDs to be upgraded on all of their (desktop and pro) computers
These trends have gone far enough now & are resulting in products that feel toocompromised in functionality because of their form

I really don’t want to buy any more too fragile devices which are battery life starved due to their thinness.

Or computers that are only going to last 4-5 years as they can’t be upgraded and will eventually fry themselves due to the thermals of such a confined space.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roadstar

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Speak or apologize?

Successful product design covers the entire lifecycle of a product. Functionality, reliability and repairability. In Apple's case: awesome, fail and fail.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars

That was my immediate reaction too. If you're so smart, try to see beyond the emotions, please.
I don't think there is anything productive in not taking these upsets seriously.
And certainly not by calling people petulant children because they are disappointed.
Then you don't understand anything at all.

Sure, everyone have had some time to get used to the 'new Apple' by now.
But all these threads overflows still with disappointments, and the loss of Steve is still surprisingly present in all this 'childishness'.
As far as I'm concerned this is what we'll have to live with in seeing today's Apple.
I'm not saying everything was better before, during Steve's time.
Fortunately things are progressing with time, even under Tim's and somewhat Jony's direction.
Apple IS bigger today. We can't deny that fact.
But everyone who lived and was onboard the Apple-ship early will always have the visions of Steve close to heart.
We won't experience that again with Apple. THAT is a disappointment and an actual loss that will take time to process.
Especially as we see Apple becoming something different. More successful doesn't always mean better in every way, it just means that time have changed since Steve's time.
And even if Jony is still Jony, with all what counts, he's not the same guy without Steve, either.

Last edited:

compete12

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2010
My predictions for his talk:
Slide quality: Brilliant!
Technological Content: Crisp!
Overall Attitude: Thin.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I've been happy with his designs since I first started buying Apple products. I even think the drastic shift in iOS 7 was the right move. Ive, while often criticized for some reason, has released some of the best product designs in the last 20 years. I don't see this changing anytime soon.

Reactions: artfossil

Since1987

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2016
Yeah sure...

Jony Ive and the team he manages is the most successful industrial design studio in the world.

Sir Ive managed "the most successful industrial design studio in the world" when Steve Jobs was there to tell him NO.

Now he is just a clown on a Jihad to remove ALL functionality from every product. Every wire, every port, every hardware and software feature just so he can make everything .05mm thinner. For the past few years he has been the enemy of true progress.

Ive's future for us all is a much MUCH thinner HomePod that let's you talk to Siri. That's it. All other functionality removed. If Siri can't do it, you don't want it.

Apple currently lineup is NOT the best software and/or hardware they have ever made. FAR from it. Ive designs Computers under protest. He thinks they are pointless.

Bring Back Forstall ( before it's too late! )

Reactions: Doc Evils

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Sir Ive managed "the most successful industrial design studio in the world" when Steve Jobs was there to tell him NO.

Now he is just a clown on a Jihad to remove ALL functionality from every product. Every wire, every port, every hardware and software feature just so he can make everything .05mm thinner. For the past few years he has been the enemy of true progress.

Ive's future for us all is a much MUCH thinner HomePod that let's you talk to Siri. That's it. All other functionality removed. If Siri can't do it, you don't want it.

Apple currently lineup is NOT the best software and/or hardware they have ever made. FAR from it. Ive designs Computers under protest. He thinks they are pointless.

Bring Back Forstall ( before it's too late! )

Apart from some harsh wordings I mostly agree. Ive has done some great work and he’s got some serious eye for aesthetics, but Apple’s current lineup does indeed suggest that the balance between design and utility is skewed quite a bit too much towards design. Looks like he needs someone like Steve to keep things in balance.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
also "Nobody doesnt want a stylus."
also ... No one wants to tap the screen (on laptops) so we will not add touchscreen to our MacBooks but we have iPad Pro with a keyboard without pointing devices...

Yep, someone needs to call out why Apple execs keep on saying that no-one wants to touch the screen on a laptop but then produce a keyboard for the iPad where word suggestions appear on the screen for you to tap... When you’re using the iPad in a laptop open clamshell position.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
“Steve saw him as the man to lead the design team. Right there is enough reason to believe on the guy.”

The implication being, of course, that since Steve Jobs picked him as his top design guy, we should de facto “believe in” him. My response to that implication is that while he was Steve’s lead designer, Steve certainly did *not* give him free reign.

But he has free reign now. Hence why we shouldn’t “believe in” him.
Believing in is not the same as free reign. Again you just are inventing things. Smh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.