Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
I hate the new Safari 8.0

a lot of times it would not load pages.

never happened on 7.0

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Safari has been very intrusive about this time around, not only asking to be the default browser numerous times, but it also requested to import all my Firefox history and favorites.

Thing is, this version of Safari is really nice, and with the iCloud syncing with my iOS devices I've really been tempted to ditch Firefox. But without proper RSS support, it's a nonstarter. RSS is how I do all my news browsing. In Firefox I have feeds organized by category, and can quickly skim a site's feed to see if anything interests me. The latest Safari brought back RSS with its Shared Links feature, but that simply dumps every story from every RSS feed you've subscribed to into the sidepanel in a cluttered mess. No thanks.

You do know that happens with any browser right ?

Man it's like people here don't remember the browser wars. Or having to manually put in the TCP/IP stack.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
What do people use Chrome extensions for? I never could understand, esp. since Safari has extension options.

• Adblocking
  • selecting anything on a webpage to instantly create a screenshot and upload it to imgur.com
  • Clicking on a .torrent link on any webpage and having it automatically uploaded to my servers torrent client
Safari has an extension for the first thing, adblocking. But those other two? I don't think it does.

And the final problem with Safari is I also use a Windows desktop. It does not sync bookmarks with Safari on my Mac or iPhone so I am more inclined to use Chrome on Windows, OS X and iOS so I get a seamless experience between devices.

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
When I first switched to OS X back when Tiger was released, Safari was my main browser. (Oddly, I'd just left Linux and really liked KHTML in Konqueror over Firefox—or Firebird or whatever it was called at that point.)

I used that for a number of years until shortly after Chrome's release. I've preferred Chrome primarily because of the UI. Between the UI improvements to Safari in Yosemite and the fact that I replaced my Android phone with an iPhone has pushed me back into Safari and I've been quite pleased actually.

(Chrome on iOS has been a crash-fest in my experience.)

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Dear Apple, afte installing Yosemite I lost all internet access.
I'm willing to try ANY browser if you can give me a decent OS.
Deal?
Oh wait - too late, I went back to Mavericks because euhm I need to get some real work done :p

GrabASnookie

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Raleigh
something must be wrong

Chrome couldn't make it past 56/420 after 3 attempts and restarts
Opera, 4/420
Safari received a 51.3 score after completing all tests.
How in the world can safari be proven better if I can't get the other two to complete the process in order to compete?
Apple lies!

iRockMan1

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2008
Nashville, Tn
I'm really impressed with the new Safari, but I've got fifteen or so add-ons I use on a regular basis in Firefox that I simply wouldn't want to live without. Also when fullscreening Youtube videos in Safari, I have to arduously watch that long fullscreen animation, which drives me nuts.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I have ALWAYS stubbornly used Safari (even when I knew there were better browsers out there), for as long as it's been offered -- simply because it's easier and looks the best.

HOWEVER, since Yosemite, I've had an issue (which apparently lots of others are having), where Safari becomes unusable after waking up from sleep. Only a full restart of my laptop gets it working again. (Which is deeply annoying in itself, but becomes double so when combined with my OTHER Yosemite problem, which is notification settings reverting to previous pre-saved states every time I... yes, restart the computer).

Sigh.

So yeah...I have always been a major Safari supporter. But now I'm forced to use Chrome until Apple fixes all of these Yosemite problems...

stewy

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Kingston, ON
  • Adblocking
  • selecting anything on a webpage to instantly create a screenshot and upload it to imgur.com
  • Clicking on a .torrent link on any webpage and having it automatically uploaded to my servers torrent client
Safari has an extension for the first thing, adblocking. But those other two? I don't think it does.

And the final problem with Safari is I also use a Windows desktop. It does not sync bookmarks with Safari on my Mac or iPhone so I am more inclined to use Chrome on Windows, OS X and iOS so I get a seamless experience between devices.

What's the name of the torrent extension you mentioned? Thanks!

xfusejc

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2006
I'd love to use Safari, but I find myself limited by the lack of search engines directly from the address bar. In Chrome, I just type wiki and the search goes to Wikipieda. yt and the search goes to YouTube. It's just a minor thing, but when trying out Safari the other day when I first installed Yosemite, I came to realize how often I use those customized searches.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
The exact same pop up happens when you start up Firefox or Chrome if Safari is your default browser.

So is Firefox or Chrome "begging" you to change over ? Is it "low" for Firefox or Chrome ?

How about Internet Explorer ?

I'm not comparing. I think the practice in general is silly.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Used to use Firefox. Looked at it recently. It's been updated but somehow still feels old.

Chrome is Google spy software. Never use it. WhiteHat Aviator is good for those sites that have Flash.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'd love to use Safari, but I find myself limited by the lack of search engines directly from the address bar. In Chrome, I just type wiki and the search goes to Wikipieda. yt and the search goes to YouTube. It's just a minor thing, but when trying out Safari the other day when I first installed Yosemite, I came to realize how often I use those customized searches.

There's an extension for that.

----------

Safari remains my primary browser. I also have Chrome, Firefox, and Opera ready to use at any time.

#diversity #flexibility #therighttoolforthejob

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It pains me to see anyone using Chrome on a Mac - Safari is SOO much better (though that wasn't always the case - especially during the Lion era).
I guess it depends upon your definition of "better"...

If Safari could do the following, I'd consider switching:
  • favicons in bookmark bar (and not requiring text label)
  • bookmark syncing across platforms (Android/Windows/iOS/OSX)
  • Adblock Plus that actually works (the Safari extension seems to not be very good)

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
Does anyone know if Safari 7.1 has the new FTL JavaScript engine as well? I've done some benchmark tests and the are far better than those of Safari 7 as shown in the graphs from CNET. The speedometer test results seem to be exactly the same as the Safari 8 ones...

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Safari's disputable superiority aside, this is the stupidity that bugs me so much. I realize that the tiny corner notification isn't a big deal, but it's almost like advertising. They did the same thing with the "See what's new in Mavericks" notifcations a year ago. I literally could not give a ****, leave me alone. I will choose to use what I want on my computer and how I want to. I wish there was a terminal command or something specifically to stop stuff like this so people who would benefit will still get them and those who don't want to be bugged can opt out. Why is that so hard?

I have heard it all now. Jesus christ.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
my experience with the new saari is that it sometimes stalls to load pages and for quite some time sometimes. i still use it just because it is already there but i am sure there are issues with page loading often.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Why I use Chrome not Safari:

- click-to-play (as part of the core functionality, not as an extension that takes more memory). Massive help in reducing flash adverts, energy and RAM usage. It's mainly why I don't use adblock any more (bonus - rewards websites that advertise but don't use flash adverts)

- easy tab switching - press command-option-left/right arrow to switch between tabs. Three buttons next to each other under my right hand. Couldn't be easier. (I try to reduce touchpad usage to keep my RSI under control.)

- Chrome has its own built in Flash. Keeping Adobe's software off my mac is always a help, especially something so buggy and hack-prone. It's one less thing to keep updated.

Does Safari have all these things?

bug67

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2007
Alaska
I probably would use Safari...if there was a Linux version. I need a browser that works on multiple platforms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.