Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Everyone can be confident. Doesn't mean you are right. You can confident even if you are very wrong. The most confident people in my experience are either those who absolutely know what they are doing, and the absolutely clueless on the other hand.
I am not talking about being right, but about being right about being confident.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Technically, it's Ireland that broke the rule. But Apple has deeper pockets.

It may be true that Apple has deeper pockets, but Ireland isn't going to pay a penny because of this - quite the opposite. The EU is telling Ireland to charge Apple additional taxes. If it happens, money would go from Apple to Ireland. And not a penny to other countries.

The damage to Ireland would be that they cannot offer big companies deals like "you put all your revenue into little Ireland, and we allow you to pay a low tax rate", so big companies would see little reason to move their headquarters to Ireland.

The less tax large companies/corporations pay the more the ordinary person suffers as the less the government has to spend so I cannot understand why anyone would champion the cause of a business/company or individual not paying their taxes.
In this case, the Irish people didn't suffer. They get more money if Apple pays a low percentage of all profits in Europe, then they would get if Apple paid a high percentage of the profits in Ireland.

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
I think a very important part in how Europeans look at this is the fact that Apple is supported by the Ireland itself. That takes away the presumption that Apple dodged the taxes, at least judging by the comments sections on most articles, questioning why Apple is punished, and not Ireland. Either way, I don't think it will hardly have any effect on sales in the EU. The average consumer could care less about this, if they want to buy an iPhone, they will. This will just blow over for the average Joe.

Apple presently isn't being punished; they are just being asked to pay the taxes they should have paid at legitimate tax rates. The second part of this action will be did they have a unfair competitive commercial position arising from not paying their legitimate taxes. This may indeed conclude with punishment.

Reactions: Atlantico

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Not even near what is going on... "Apple Operations International" one of these so called subsidiaries hasn't filed a corporate tax return anywhere in the past five years! And this is not even from the EU, this was from a US Senate Panel investigation.

Go and not file your taxes for 5 years see what happens to you.
My mother didn't file a tax return for decades. She died, but not from taxes.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
No, that's not correct. The deal was considered legal at the time, and this particular EU commission used different criteria to adjudicate the deals than has been used for the last 50 years or so.

Considered legal by who ? It was a secret until 2014 if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

Rocketman

macrumors 603
This ruling is by the "Competition Committee" of the EU. It is not recognised by US Treasury, Ireland Finance minister, Apple or the other companies in a similar position. It is not yet clear if it is recognised by the EU court system. It addresses past (2002-16) tax code and years that have been settled for years and fully compliant with each country's SOVEREIGN rules. The EU Competition Committee is trying to establish new and unique powers to ask for retroactive changes to the tax due despite the compliance as agreed by all involved parties.

I don't know how they can even claim this power or jurisdiction to begin with. What really surprises me is it is true in every country and jurisdiction that GAAP rules do not allow retroactive taxation.

Reactions: jhfenton

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
Pay your god damn taxes you shirking bastards.
[doublepost=1472571846][/doublepost]
Says Ireland used for research and distribution, yet no value is created there.

Yes Apple, logic :rolleyes:

When it comes to the Irish government, "no value is created" is their mantra. What didn't get passed to TDs in brown envelopes would have been pissed away by any other means possible, anything to avoid it actually being invested in the real economy.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Considered legal by who ? It was a secret until 2014 if I recall correctly.

It was no secret that Apple was getting tax deals from Ireland. It's been common knowledge since at least the early 80s. Indeed, a look at the Apple's financials would have shown that was the case.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
This ruling is by the "Competition Committee" of the EU. It is not recognised by US Treasury, Ireland Finance minister, Apple or the other companies in a similar position. It is not yet clear if it is recognised by the EU court system.
Where do you get this? If i recall correctly this is from the amsterdam & lisbon treaty both accepted by ireland .

It addresses past (2002-16) tax code and years that have been settled for years and fully compliant with each country's SOVEREIGN rules. The EU Competition Committee is trying to establish new and unique powers to ask for retroactive changes to the tax due despite the compliance as agreed by all involved parties.
No its not, it got these powers mainly from the lisbon treaty in 2007 . Nothing new and thispart of the treaty ireland does not have an opt out.

I don't know how they can even claim this power or jurisdiction to begin with. What really surprises me is it is true in every country and jurisdiction that GAAP rules do not allow retroactive taxation.
Taxation rules not retroactive? Then how would they ever be able to do anything? Its quite normal for taxation regulation and such cases to go back years.

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
It seems agreed that Apple have operated legally, that Apple And Ireland have colluded in a mutually beneficial manner resulting in an outcome that is anti competitive. That Apple should pay a higher rate of tax and that few have any sympathy for them in this situation.

What does it take for a tech company to become irrelevant? Nokia and Blackberry had the market once and lost it, can the same happen to Apple for different reasons?

I adopted the Apple ecosystem six years ago. It's good, it works, I am happy. This tax thing leaves me unable to envangelise about the tech that wont need replacing for five years.

So as a consumer I won't be replacing or recommending macos/iOS system and there must be many like me out there that. Would that be enough to harm the brand? I just don't know.

All I know is that the mighty can fall.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
What's "funny" about this is the fact that if we / our small / medium sized companies fail to pay taxes we end up paying thru our noses as soon as we're caught. However, when we talk about billions its relative matter and is open for discussions.

Regarding Apple's mantra about creating jobs, that's just bunch of nonsense. Apple employed 4000 people in Ireland. If 14 billion is cost of creating those jobs then the cost of employment to Irish government was 3.5 million euros per each employed person. I'd say this was very bad deal for Ireland. In any case Ireland already has extremely low corporate tax so I have hard time understanding what is the purpose of negotiating deals pushing it below 1%.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
European public opinion is not in favor of Apple in this case and supports the ruling of the EU - we all pay taxes - Ireland receives billions of Euros from the EU but strikes 'sweetheart' deals with (rich) companies that should pay their tax, and prevent shady constructions. Tim Cook's response just added insult to injury ... Apple will be in for a rocky ride ...

Personally I don't get it. If a country wants to offer special rates to a company they should be able to do so. Is it different than the average consumer? Yes, but that's a part of life at this point. Seems to me that yet another instance of the EU trampling over countries like this isn't so great on the heels of Brexit.

Reactions: MRU

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
Apple is not being punished or sanctionned by the EU. They're just asking them to pay what they should have payed, not a cent more.

But this is complicated by the fact that technically, BOTH Apple and the Irish Government are guilty :

- Ireland has offered a 2% deal instead of the normal 12% that is clearly illegal by the EU.
- Apple is not some small 10 people startup that doesn't understand how all this works. Thay have armies of lawyers and they must have clearly known that they're accepting an illegal deal, and have probably even pushed for lower percentages themselves. But they didn't put a gun on Ireland's head either.

So technically , both should pay back and revert to the legal percentage they should have used in the first place. But should the citizens of Ireland pay for something they didn't know about and didn't agree to and was done on their behalf by their government ? Also , Apple didn't sign with North-Korea or the Mafia, they signed with a legitimate government that basically told them, "hi guys, we're the government, we know what we're doing"

So this is much more complicated than it seems, and it will probably take years before the responsabilties are equally identified on who should pay what ...

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
As said in this report,the EC is going after these corporations because they have public support, and that I think will affect their sales:

So, the European Commission faces some formidable opponents and may find itself entangled in litigation and diplomatic disputes for years. But it may well believe that it has one powerful lobby behind its campaign - European consumers.

At a time when globalisation and arrogant multinationals are both going right out of fashion - and governments are still imposing austerity policies - the commission believes that giving Apple a bloody nose will win bravos rather than boos from ordinary people who have to pay their taxes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37218692

The average consumer caring is the reason the EC is doing this.

The trouble is, it's just a whole load of bellyaching. People will complain bitterly about the corporations that use legal tax loopholes to minimise their tax liabilities whilst continuing to hand over money to those companies for their products and services.

If the average consumer even remotely cares about the amount of tax big corporations pay, why do they continue to buy their products and services?

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
If I evaded taxes like apple, the IRS would have steamrolled me into the ground. Just pay your taxes apple.

Sometimes companies just make it worse for themselves when they drag things out, but in this case I certainly understand Apple's motivation to drag it out until they get a better outcome, either paying a lot less or nothing. Well, actually with attorney fees they will still pay a good amount if it actually takes years to settle.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Yes Apple, pay your cash to Brussels £$€ sucking vampires, what you waiting for? It is not like they don't deserve it and use it for people's good!

On a second though, no actually. Don't give them a dime!
You wanted to say dublin no? These taxes are 100% for ireland, nothing for the EU.
[doublepost=1472575621][/doublepost]
Personally I don't get it. If a country wants to offer special rates to a company they should be able to do so. Is it different than the average consumer? Yes, but that's a part of life at this point. Seems to me that yet another instance of the EU trampling over countries like this isn't so great on the heels of Brexit.
EU has rules that makes it illegal for companies to get preferential treatment.

Its to make sure countries dont offer sch favors the specific companies to lure them away from others. AKA its to not get a "who can offer the lowest rates and pretend thats good for a country" race.

Ireland is actually a net reciever of EU aid, simply said; EU is paying ireland because it gives some comapnies a 0.05% tax rate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.