Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BurgDog

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
Great security. Someone snaps a picture of you and presents it to the phone to unlock it.

Deuce on the Clock

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2016
My own universe
Everyone is going to be so disappointed in the next phone. Its going to be hilarious to hear the huge disappointment when the phone is just a speed bump and looks the same. The Kool Aid well is almost dry. Drink up while you can people.

Cody1992

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
I really hope it doesn't; I can't see facial recognition as a useful feature, but then again I could be wrong.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Now if they could simply make a phone that doesn't slow down to a near crawl after about a year or two, that'd be great.

You could have said a computer or any other device that requires a some form of CPU. And actually, they CAN maintain speed for several years! All it requires is no significant upgrade in apps or software so the level of features doesn't outstrip the ability of a one or two year old processor to handle them. And for phones, cell phone companies only need to quit signing on new people to their service, at least until their network has a significant excess capacity so it can handle new customers.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
If it's rumored and posted on MR, it has to be true... right? ;)

Increasingly, yes. Gone are the days of 'rumours' since everything seems to get leaked.
[doublepost=1485028974][/doublepost]
You could have said a computer or any other device that requires a some form of CPU. And actually, they CAN maintain speed for several years! All it requires is no significant upgrade in apps or software so the level of features doesn't outstrip the ability of a one or two year old processor to handle them. And for phones, cell phone companies only need to quit signing on new people to their service, at least until their network has a significant excess capacity so it can handle new customers.

Yeah my iPhone 6 is still perfectly fine. It's what... ~3 years old now and has never needed a restore or anything.

I think phones these days have way more power than you need in a phone. Time to focus on battery life!!

Reactions: PR1985

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Everyone is going to be so disappointed in the next phone. Its going to be hilarious to hear the huge disappointment when the phone is just a speed bump and looks the same. The Kool Aid well is almost dry. Drink up while you can people.

Timmy is spending billions on new supplies of Kool Aid. That's why there's no money left over for product development.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
That'll be cool. IDK if it's just because I cracked my phone near the home button, but Touch ID has been getting progressively less reliable for me. But it's so convenient when it works.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Kuo just makes up stuff as he goes, doesn't he?

If you go back to all the MR articles that tags Kuo, you can see he's had a very good record.
  • New MacBook Pro and 13-Inch 'MacBook' Coming Next Week, iMac and Display Not Ready Yet
  • iPhone 7 to Include Five Colors, IPX7 Water Resistance, Dual 12MP Cameras on Plus Model
  • Upgraded Apple Watch 1 Models Said to Launch Alongside Apple Watch 2 Later This Year
  • Faster Apple Watch 2 With GPS, Barometer, Larger Battery, and Same Thickness to Launch Later This Year
  • 2016 MacBook Pro May Include OLED Display Touch Bar and Touch ID
  • Apple to Produce Single iPhone 7 Plus Model With Dual-Lens Camera and 3GB RAM
  • Apple Watch 2 Expected to Focus on Internal Upgrades Rather Than External Changes, Launch in Late 2016
  • Dual Camera Said to Be Exclusive to 5.5-Inch iPhone 7
  • New A9-Based 4-Inch iPhone Expected to Launch Early 2016 With Apple Pay and Colorful Metal Casing
  • KGI Expects New iPhones to Have 5MP Front Camera, Retain 16GB, 64GB and 128GB Capacities
  • Next-Generation iPhone Again Rumored to Adopt 7000 Series Aluminum
  • Apple Reported to Begin Shipping Apple Watch in March, 12-Inch MacBook Air in Early 2015
  • Apple Predicted to Launch Optional Stylus Accessory Alongside 12.9-Inch 'iPad Pro'
As you can see, very small deviations from Apple's plans aside, his predictions has almost never been wrong, at least in the last few years.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
since there will be no home button, think how you switch apps or go home...by 3d touch(pressing harder) on the left of the display...since the oled is lighter than lcd we need this metal construction

Ah OK. I get it. I think so anyway.

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Disappointment, no. Left unenthusiastic, yes. The problem is we are encouraged to upgrade annually but tech doesn't move that fast. So of course the "next year's" model is only going to be incremental and unexceptional.

Also it's not surprising that MR readers have imaginations bigger than reality can provide so expectations are larger than that of the general consumer. Certainly tech makers and retailers share in the blame of people being disappointed, if they are. How many times has TC crowed about an exciting product pipeline only to not have shown much at year's end?

If a person feels compelled to upgrade every year, they're doing it wrong IMO. It's pointless. If folks are less enthusiastic it's their own fault. True innovations don't occur that frequently but it's the tech pundits that set these unrealistic expectations. Plus, the breathless (and fake) wonder at every trivial new "feature". I agree that Tim should temper his message of exciting things in the pipeline. He would do well to heed "under promise, over deliver". (Although that is almost impossible given the expectations that are placed on Apple).

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Sounds like to me, after reading about the possible new technologies they can use, that the next iPhone will be very late. It sounds like most of the technologies are still in development and/or haven't been used before and need extensive testing. Can you say "iPhone 8 in LATE TWO OH ONE EIGHT"!!! :)
That was my thought as well, all this tech sounds like it's not nearly ready and the chances of all of it becoming ready in time for an iPhone at high volume this year is very low. Almost zero I would say. So likely we'll either have delays, a very high priced special model with very low volumes, or a scaled back phone with fewer of these features or compromises. Let the disappointment begin!

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
No he's one of the more reliable anylists, he predicted the iPhone SE, the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, the Apple Watch and so on, in fact he's been very accurate over the last few years.

He's not "predicting," as much as simply reporting what his sources are leaking to him from the factories that are assembling the devices. Now that Apple is selling at such a monster scale, it's almost impossible to prevent leakers from selling information that they have from working at the places setting up the production lines, etc.

Apple 26.2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
What up, 212?!
Assuming the technological challenges are not too great and adoption this year isn't too soon, Kuo suggests Apple's new system will usher in a "paradigm shift" for the application of biometric identification in smartphones.

I would love for this and other rumors to be true. But I fear the technology just isn't mature enough for
implementation/production.

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
No he's one of the more reliable anylists, he predicted the iPhone SE, the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, the Apple Watch and so on, in fact he's been very accurate over the last few years.

Cue people complaining about Ming Chi Kuo, even though the guy is generally spot on.
[doublepost=1485008671][/doublepost]
Whoops, I was too late

Well, his early predictions are garbage. If you follow it through the year, it changes multiple times to something more "accurate." If you don't follow it, then you think he's right all the time. As of now, just take what he says with a grain of salt.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
If the touchID tech is currently where the paper describes it now, it will be nowhere near ready for millions of produced iphones i october. So forget about this bezelfree edge-to-edge OLED phone. It's not happening (for now). The 10th anniversary phone will be a LOT less advanced and dreamy compared to all these rumours. It may be more than our usual incremental S upgrades, but it's surely not going to be any sort of "major leap forward" type release.

Settle down and adjust your expectations. That way you will spare yourself from a lot of disapointment come october :)

Yes,

It is always like the rumors are one year early.

I believe there will be an oled iphone in 2017, perhaps it will have no physical homebutton(the 7 doesn't have that either, really). But wireless charging will be done with a charging mat, together with a smart connector , they'll charge the phone, with a cord unfortunately, i guess.
In 2018, they' ll release the rest of the goodies, that are rumored in this article.

So this year an iphone pro with a new design and a new oled screen, and glass sandwich, bezelless design. Next year the true wireless charging, and touchId behind the screen tech, with facial recognition tech.

Labeno

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
To be practical.. The wireless chargers only needs to be able to reach the distance of a current standard lightening cord

Even more practical, just do like the Apple watch, wireless charging via a magnetic connector to the back of the phone. It's still wireless.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
My Touch ID on my iPhone 7+ works amazingly well. I like that I can pull it from my pocket or bag and have it ready to use before I even look at it. I don't really want to have to pull it out and have it see my face to open. Especially when it's just sitting on my night stand and a text comes in. I just tap it with a finger and glance to see whether it's important enough to deal with. (Often not late at night) So I really don't want to undock it it do this. Also, I like the physical Taptic button. The Home button is part of what makes iPhones great compared to Android competitors in my opinion. Pure screen buttons will be too easy to miss especially if you're not looking at it.

Reactions: PR1985
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.