Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acidsplat

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Kinda interesting that they're talking about the iLife apps again in their ads. It's been quite a while since their ads have even mentioned the Mac software features, a sharp contrast to the "iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPad, iPad, iPhone, briefly 2nd gen MacBook Air, iPhone, iPad, Retina MacBook Pro" ads they've had after the Get a Mac campaign was discontinued.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Nothing original about the ads. Apple is usually ahead of the curve when it comes to advertising, but these ads were nothing special. The humor was a miss.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
The problem is that they don't show the benefits of Macs. They don't fit with Apple.

Yeah, they talk about them, but they don't show them. I think just showing a guy doing something cool in Mountain Lion with those fancy new notifications showing up would be a pretty good ad :)

HahaHaha321

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2011
Yeah, they talk about them, but they don't show them. I think just showing a guy doing something cool in Mountain Lion with those fancy new notifications showing up would be a pretty good ad :)

I agree. And IN the store, too. Not on some street corner.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Hate to break it to you but HP did the whole put a glass sheet in front of the screen thing before apple. It was called the HP infinity display. They also did a silver body with black keys as well. Also the Envy's lid backing is nothing liketge macbook pro either.

I'd say that the Envy looks liketge the MacBook Pro:
Envy15_angled.jpg
macbook_pro-334-t1.gif

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
What are you talking about? Justin Long, hello?

And it is not a waste to use famous people to promote a product, have you been living under an advertising rock your whole life? Why do you think those crappy Beats headphones sell, it aint anything to do with mediocre quality, its marketing with Dre, Gaga, etc.

Justin Long was hardly famous when those ads started out. He fit the role they needed. They could have easily used a completely unknown actor.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
Looks like some genius got a nice bonus :)

I liked the Basically ad. That was funny, especially since I see a lot of knock-offs in circulation.

Extraordinary

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
Very Disappointing..

Very disappointing commercials lacking aroma - I've never seen such poor quality ADs from Apple. The acts are rude and blatant - an over-zealous attempt at showboating without any subtleness.

It will be a couple of years before we see a new Apple reflected in it's product releases as Jobs surely left many great products in the pipeline.. but commercials are done on an "as needed" basis and thus is a good indication of the new (tasteless) vogue under Cook.

They don't look like the works of TBWA/Chiat Day..

Last edited:

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
What are you talking about? Justin Long, hello?

And it is not a waste to use famous people to promote a product, have you been living under an advertising rock your whole life? Why do you think those crappy Beats headphones sell, it aint anything to do with mediocre quality, its marketing with Dre, Gaga, etc.

I still can't believe people buy stuff for a celebrity's name to be on it. I can't imagine ever doing that, and I don't even know many celebrities who aren't inventors or Mr. Bean.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Terrible ads

Very "off-brand," as the media world would say.

What the hell?

They don't present a high-end luxe image for Apple, which is what REALLY sells their products. No one needs to be shown how to solve tech problems in an ad, you just need to show that it's beautiful, to appeal to the basic senses, instead of cerebral thought.

Clearly Apple is losing its basic art direction, one of the most fundamental qualities of the company since its founding.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Sorry to hijack the thread but, Since Windows 8 is likely to fail and Apple is going down the drain with there OS X, Wonder what the future holds with the Operating Systems whats next... for the future.

Try the new OS X before you judge. I tried it, thinking it would suck, and Mountain Lion is actually very good except that they removed RSS support and Rosetta.

titaniumjones

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2011
Basically, I like them

I welcome the change in approach.
If you alway do what you always did, you always get what you always got.
I find them witty and amusing.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Hint don't ever buy a HP terrible quality parts.

I know. If I was going to go for Windows, I'd get a Dell or ASUS. Maybe an Acer. HP is the absolute worst PC maker ever, and even their marketing shows it. I don't care about Dr. Dre, let alone random people who they pretend are famous. Isn't the tower about the computing power and (maybe) design, not normal audio outputs that have a red "b" sticker sloppily placed under them?

My dad got an HP tower against my recommendation, and he hated it so much that he gave it to me. Well, I already have a Mac, so it's pretty useless.

Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008

dbyway

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2012
Utah
Notice how the guy with the Mac was sitting in first class? Sure that wasn't by accident :p

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Wait, these are the same airplanes which don't allow me to use my iPhone, even if it's on airplane mode. Lol, pretty corny ad.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
I need a computer. A COMPUTER.

Apple can't or won't sell me one, and they refuse to say when they can.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Idiots helping idiots.

To clarify the title of this post, in reality, neither customers nor workers are idiots (usually). You just leave with the irksome feeling that they are after watching this commercial.

I watched the one about the man waking up the Genius because his wife is in labor. I couldn't watch any more.

The commercial's mood is the same as the uncomfortable tension sitcoms are based around. The tension specifically here is based on urgency between a character inexplicably daft and demanding (the man) and a character inexplicably living his life outside his job as a crusader for Apple and supplicant to its customers (the Genius). The point is that a Genius is so helpful he is to be called upon at any hour of the night for life's most important moments. Therein lies the humor. But like waking up a stranger at 2 AM, asking us to find this funny is too large of a favor to ask.

It would have been better if the second character had been a Geek Squad agent because this would have been a perfect commercial for Best Buy. It wouldn't have been funny, either, but it would have been fitting for their corporate image.

But maybe not: Best Buy is running commercials more in the vein of the original Think Different ads showing inventors and how they use technology.

Finally, I'd like to go to a dark place with a quotation from Wikipedia on the use of euphemisms in the work-place:

"The terms "employee" or "worker" have often been replaced by "associate". This plays up the allegedly voluntary nature of the interaction, while playing down the subordinate status of the wage laborer, as well as the worker-boss class distinction emphasized by labor movements. Billboards, as well as TV, Internet and newspaper advertisements, consistently show low-wage workers with smiles on their faces, appearing happy."

Apple has replaced the word worker with Genius, and Apple's workers are ready to deliver your children at 2 AM. The euphemistic language and ad makes it seem that Apple's workers are a part of a movement rather than employees of a company. Apple is the last organization in the world that needs a movement. I've seen the same thing at Wal-Mart in the way workers are portrayed. They tell us they're part of a family.

Apple is not a movement or family, and it's unfair to tell the public what people who happen to work at Apple think of the company. In a way, it's the opposite of unionizing. Rather than workers gathering together to make their opinions known, companies now script to the public what workers are supposedly thinking, and it's not just externally. Within companies, workers are made to feel that no matter their position, their job determines the success or failure of the company and that they need to sacrifice for the sake of the movement. I worked for one of Apple's vendors, Kelly, and they frequently ask for volunteers to work unpaid supporting Apple's operations. So many people are willing to appear like good company men because it's the only way to keep a job or move up.

It's kind of sick.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
Not really sure how I feel about these commercials. I do find it interesting that they're talking about the Mac for once though.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
I don't hate them, but don't love them either.

I'm still waiting for the Mac ad that shows an actual Mac in action using OS X and iLife. That would sell some machines...

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Glad to see this ad plays to none of the idiots on this board...

Keep in mind, you're already here, Apple has no need to woo you.

Kudos Schiller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.