Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Well I'm still under the one year warranty so I can get a replacement if I want to.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
So what precisely is the problem? That EVERY photo is blurry, or just some of them?

I get blurry photos sometimes, but I thought it was just that I was moving or shook the camera.

Most of them. If you move enough, OIS won't be able to correct and it will be blurry (that's normal). In this case, seemingly, focus is seemingly almost always not working properly. If it doesn't work properly, most of your shots are crap. I think if you had that... You'd know ;-).

igneousc

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
thats funny mine literally starting shaking and getting blurry about a week and a half ago, I set an appointment with an apple store, and they replaced mine in about 45 minutes. Was hoping for a phone replacement but they just fixed the cam and I was on my way.

igneousc

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
It won't, it's why I won't buy iPhone, unless they drop in price. My devices history is, iPhone 3GS had the plastic cracks by the volume keys, iPhone 4 had the home button start to fail although that was after several months and it's the best iPhone they ever made. iPhone 5 had the power button fail...

My nexus 5 I bought when it was launched, nothing's broken and it's been dropped a few times. And it cost I think £200 to £250 less than an iPhone..

BUT..

Whilst this is now another infamous 'known Apple issue' then it is good they will fix it. Apple are good at fixing known issues. Perhaps they should have them made in America instead of China?
lol comparing iPhone quality with the nexus 5 , which is one of the worst android phones when it comes to quality. I have had one since launch in addition to my iphone. Screen glass is super thin so it breaks if you drop it on a pillow. GPS chip is almost useless, plastic starts separating, etc. Ive had two of them, they're complete crap.

igneousc

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
I wonder if Apple is pissed at sony over this, it's their sensor, does sony make the OIS feature too?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
lol comparing iPhone quality with the nexus 5 , which is one of the worst android phones when it comes to quality. I have had one since launch in addition to my iphone. Screen glass is super thin so it breaks if you drop it on a pillow. GPS chip is almost useless, plastic starts separating, etc. Ive had two of them, they're complete crap.

Well then your phones are defective, mines been a LOT MORE reliable then any iPhone I've had. So have you broken you're glass screen by dropping it, the gorilla glass screen that is, which Apple also have used on the iPhone?

Reactions: AleXXXa

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Possibly, but who's to say that new iPhone won't have more problems like scratches or dead pixels? I've had a lot of issues in the past.
Exactly. So if ain't broke, don't fix it. My iPhone 6Plus qualifies for the replacement but it's not bent, scratched, nor does it exude any issues. The screen is pixel perfect. I'm keeping it.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I had my iPhone swapped out about a month or so ago for a headset jack problem. My first phone (the one that was replaced) was eligible for this program, luckily my replacement isn't. I always thought something was a little off with my first phone's camera, but when I got the replacement I thought it was just the placebo effect. My problem was nowhere near as bad as the photo in the OP.

(Bought my 6 Plus on launch day, replacement manufactured May 2015).

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I wonder if Apple is pissed at sony over this, it's their sensor, does sony make the OIS feature too?

I don't think Apple's pissed. They understand that quality issues will pop up from time to time. Sony will compensate Apple for any losses, which may not be nearly as bad as you would think based on forums like this. Sony makes great cameras and camera modules for smartphones. I love my Sony RX100M3 which I bought last year. Sony's imaging division is one of the few bright spots for Sony at the moment. It looks like the added complexity of OIS within the cramped confines of a smartphone proved to be trickier than anticipated in the assembly process. This may make it less likely to see OIS added to the 6s model.

Reactions: Darrensk8

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
"The iSight Camera Replacement Program will cover iPhone 6 Plus iSight cameras for three years after the first retail sale of the unit. "

Does any other company do this? Something as highly engineered as the iPhone, and any other smartphone, is bound to have flaws. What I respect is the Apple puts it front and center and gives 3 years of not worrying if your new iPhone might have camera issues. To put it into perspective if this was an issue 3 years ago your iphone 4s would still be covered, although only by a few weeks.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
So what precisely is the problem? That EVERY photo is blurry, or just some of them?

I get blurry photos sometimes, but I thought it was just that I was moving or shook the camera.
I was wondering that myself. My iPhone is eligible and I have gotten some blurry pics even when I was holding still and so was the subject. This was occuring over the course of a week and a half. I noticed it after I got the phone back from Apple for a screen replacement. I thought it had been damaged and overlooked when I dropped the phone and shattered the screen and sent the phone in for a screen replacement. But then I dropped the phone again (this time without shattering the screen) and the camera has worked fine since then! Go figure.

When I was a kid in the 1970's that's how we fixed a lot of our electronics and appliances. We gave them a good smack. I guess it still works. My husband's SUV was making an ungodly noise for several days and he went over a nasty pot hole riddled patch of road and the noise stopped and the SUV started running smoothly again.

Anyway I'll just wait and see what happens. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Wow people still use their camera phones to take pictures? Hahaha. Y'all should move to mirrorless cameras. I'm using a tiny Sony a6000 with a f/1.8 lens and my worst pictures are better than your best ones!

It's 2015 people!
I got over lugging a separate tiny camera around with me in 2004. I don't consider it progress to go back to carrying around a separate camera unless it's a special occasion and then I will bring my Nikon DSLR.

jamescharley22

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2014
Kayenta, AZ
Mine iPhone is eligible and I've never noticed until now because I've never actually looked at my camera roll meticulously until now. A lot of my pictures are blurry for absolutely no reason.

Mizouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
My phone is eligible and has symptoms of failing OIS.

When I start up any camera app, 90% of time the image on my screen is all wavy looking and out of focus.

Also when the camera is starting up I also hear a rapid ticking noise coming from the camera.

However, this only happens for a second or 2 and then everything is fine. So I usually just wait until the image looks fine, then take a picture.

Here's an example of a picture I just took when it happens.

image.jpg

Sometimes I get a neat tilt-shift/lensbaby effect where some of the image is in focus and some of it out of focus.

IndoX

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Well I'm still under the one year warranty so I can get a replacement if I want to.
Er, no. The camera on the 6 Plus is a serviceable part and they repair the camera - not the device. It's not your decision to get a replacement device.

Reactions: NOSFERATU

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Well, my iphone is eligible, but there is no apple store in czech republic, only apple licensed services, does it mean that i will have to wait several days for replacement?;( BTW I was sure my camera is not ok - it makes great photos, but if there was lot of sun light and colorful subject of the picture, it made strange/blury pics - see attached pic and look at trees.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 250
Last edited:

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
My phone is eligible for this, but I don't have any problems with my camera and I don't want them to scratch or damage my phone while repairing it.

They just give you a new phone.
The problem I think come from the Image Stabilizer when you turn on the camera and you have your phone in landscape mode. The image wouldn't focus, but if your turn the phone into portrait mode and back to landscape mode it would work fine with mine...but I exchange it any way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.