Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
The 5c was being sold at the same price as a discounted iPhone 5. Spec-wise, they were virtually identical. With the iPhone 5, even if I bought it a year later, other people won't know, and I would be seen as using an iPhone which was at one point in time the "best" that Apple had to offer (in 2012).

With the 5c, all pretense goes out the window. You know at a glance that I bought the cheaper iPhone. When the 5s could be had for an extra $100.

I think Apple has learnt enough from the 5c fiasco to not repeat it again. It will be interesting to take note of Apple's messaging during the iPhone keynote later, how they try to hype up the iPhone Xr without making it painfully obvious that is the cheapest option available.

But won't that still be true today?

If you have a notched iPhone with a single camera (iPhone XR) then people will know you bought the cheaper iPhone.

Also... who cares what people think? :p

If you're that worried... pony up the extra dough for the XS or XS Max!

Reactions: Azzin

Digger148

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
As long as one says "Ten" instead of "ex" these names are ok, though, "Tennis Max" is very ZTE-ish and Tena(R) sounds like the incontinence fighting lineup.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
But won't that still be true today?

If you have a notched iPhone with a single camera (iPhone XR) then people will know you bought the cheaper iPhone.

Also... who cares what people think? :p

If you're that worried... pony up the extra dough for the XS or XS Max!
The iPhone (and Apple in general) is as much a lifestyle brand as it is a very capable mobile device. I think there are a lot of people who do buy an iphone for the "prestige" and would care about being seen as having the latest and greatest. We posters here may like to think we are above such "petty concerns", but we probably don't get to speak for the majority either.

Which is why I say it will be interesting to watch how Apple introduces the 3 iPhones later, and their sales pitch in particular. Especially since this iPhone Xr looks set to form the bulk of iPhone sales for the rest of the year.

zarmanto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2014
Around the corner from the 7/11
Why no one complained when htc launched the one max? Or when samsung launched the J7 max?
Because we fully expect 2nd-tier providers to offer 2nd-tier efforts in all areas of their business. Apple has historically (and quite successfully, I might add) marketed themselves as the 1st-tier "premium" brand... so some of us are actually a bit disappointed when they blatantly phone it in. (No pun intended.)

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
The iPhone (and Apple in general) is as much a lifestyle brand as it is a very capable mobile device. I think there are a lot of people who do buy an iphone for the "prestige" and would care about being seen as having the latest and greatest. We posters here may like to think we are above such "petty concerns", but we probably don't get to speak for the majority either.

Which is why I say it will be interesting to watch how Apple introduces the 3 iPhones later, and their sales pitch in particular. Especially since this iPhone Xr looks set to form the bulk of iPhone sales for the rest of the year.

I'm just seeing how Apple's present-day iPhone lineup ranges from $699 to $1149

That's quite a big range for a single year of new iPhone models.

They surely can't expect everyone to buy the most expensive one... and I certainly wouldn't shame someone for not buying it either!

#endphoneshaming

:p

Last edited:

Lerxt

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Getting seriously sick of the Samsung Army that springs up on this board whenever Apple does something new.

Reactions: Azzin

terrapinjess

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
So basically we have the iPhone Expensive (XS), iPhone Expensive Max (XS Max), and iPhone Expensive Really (XR).

chooyoshi

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2018
Because we fully expect 2nd-tier providers to offer 2nd-tier efforts in all areas of their business. Apple has historically (and quite successfully, I might add) marketed themselves as the 1st-tier "premium" brand... so some of us are actually a bit disappointed when they blatantly phone it in. (No pun intended.)
How is samsung a second tier company when it's no.1 in market share? Htc maybe I can understand

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Apple is likely gonna do this for the next 2 to 3 years until cost of OLED comes down to make it mainstream.

insomniac86

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
Plus suggests that the larger iPhone has some other improved feature beyond a larger display, such as a better camera.

Max implies just a larger screen.

If the only difference between the iPhone XS and XS Max is the screen size, then the max name makes perfect sense.

R probably refers to the Retina display for the cheaper iPhone.

S would denote “super-retina”, possibly referencing the higher PPI of the OLED displays.

Makes sense to me.

I agree with your first point regarding Max.
But the rest of the comments... *****?

All the iPhone's since iPhone 4 (the first of its kind) have had retina screens.
the S has always been used for the Second release of the same body design. 4 4s, 5 5s, 6 6s etc.

chooyoshi

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2018
I think he/she is referring to the top tier for smartphones. Right now Samsung (or any other manufacturer) doesn't have any phone that competes with the iPhone in sales. The market share you speak of is full of cheap low to mid tier phones.
Galaxy S and note series?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.