Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foss

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
I for one do not believe this iPad Pro rumor. The only leaked part that would even indicate that it is in production is a rear shell if I remember correctly. There have been plenty of "shell leaks" that ended up being vaporware. If there had been some chips or cables leaked, I would give it more credibility (like there have been numerous for the iPhone 6S.) IMHO, iPhone 6S, Apple TV, and some Mac & MacBooks refreshes are sure things. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a refreshed 4k Thunderbolt Display hits too since Skylake is now capable of decent 4K output.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
My only concerns are what operating system it'll run on. As mentioned previously by a user, if it doesn't run natively on Mac OS X, then it shouldn't have the "Pro" in the title. People complaining about a stylus certainly have never seen what graphic designers can do... And now seeing what the Windows Surface can do for music notation is unbelievable for those wanting to write full orchestrations. On top of that, I love my iPad mini 2 for taking notes and other various factors of the App Store so integrating both an iOS and OS X hybrid would be something quite remarkable. I'm a film composer and the idea of being able to have Logic Pro X on a tablet and having touch controls to control all my parameters and everything would be incredibly beautiful (and no, Logic Remote isn't the answer to that). Obviously to give it the "Pro" status, it would need to be able to have some sort of USB-C connection or a few to make it even remotely tolerable for those wanting to access multiple hard drives or retrieving files. But it'll be interesting what they've cooked up in the lab.

Again, I don't get the beef with iOS. Apple has added multitasking functionality to iOS 9. I really don't see the difference between say, a professional using an iPad with a Bluetooth keyboard running excel for iOS and Surface Pro-type tablet running OS X running excel. I know this, because in my Engineering Economics class the girl with the Surface Pro wasn't inputing the data into Excel any faster than me with my iPad Air 2. With the right apps, the added multitasking functionality from iOS 9, and a Bluetooth keyboard/stylus I don't see why an iPad in 2015 can't be "Pro" enough.

Reactions: Billy95Tech

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Looks like a lot of hype for an event that isn't showcasing much at all. New iphones don't have much "new" in them other then force touch, don't care about that anyway. AppleTV if priced higher then 99.99 is going to be a tough sell with hardly anything changed and a new interface? iPad Mini 4 should have been released previously under the name iPad Mini 3 and of course iPad Pro for those who feel like scrolling a full webpage side by side with a full webpage... ah.. is needed.. Don't get me wrong, I plan to watch but so far I'm not feeling anything amazing coming out unless their one more thing is a brand new... wait for it... set of apple sport bands in different colors.. oh wait.. that's already coming too. So what exactly is everyone so hyped about?

I disagree completely. The iPhone updates rumored sound very enticing. The new Apple TV with the features spec'd at <$199 sounds very exciting and I'm guessing it will have an all new interface to handle the changes along with some interesting programing announcements. Plus if they actually do add iPad updates to this event with the iPad Pro, it will be a huge event... biggest we've seen in a long time.

Bottom line is I'm excited about the new iPhones... they sound like a very solid "s" release - force touch should be very interesting and I think the star of the show will be the new Apple TV. iPads, we'll have to wait and see.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
All products are not all worthy of equally proportionate attention. The bands are filler. The iPad mini is just a product line gap filler, so it won't get/doesn't need much play. The iPad Pro will be mostly about peripheral things such as the stylus (assuming there is one), and feature a few partner pro apps. The iPhone S will get most of the time because it is the big $ item. And TV will bring back the "one more thing" because it will have the most surprises (even if we have heard the rumors, seeing them incarnated will be major-- and there will be a few surprises as well).

I'm guessing that will be the order, and the build-up.

I'm thinking you're probability dead on.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
How long is this event going to last? Are they going to have anything left over to announce in October?

I am wondering if this means, there will be more Mac stuff happening in October then. I mean we knew October would be for El Capitan and macs, but maybe there will be new iMac and core M Macbook shown at October.

LMAO! I can see it now...New iPhones, New iPad mini, Air 3, Pro, and Skylake across the whole Mac line up....Apple TV still missing. :p

or maybe there will be an apple tv, iPad pro, iOS 9, but no new iPhone 6s =p ha

The MS Surface RT was ARM. Besides the new Core M CPU's are rumoured to appear in phones and tablets. Maybe the PRO runs on one of the new skylake CPU's :)
not happening

They won't, it will draw the attention away from the iPhone. iPads are for October.
maybe that is their goal

It's really not as simple as pushing a button to recompile OS X to ARM.
agreed

There must be a misprint, I'm sure the pro device will come with 4 gigs of ram.
lol

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I disagree completely. The iPhone updates rumored sound very enticing. The new Apple TV with the features spec'd at <$199 sounds very exciting and I'm guessing it will have an all new interface to handle the changes along with some interesting programing announcements. Plus if they actually do add iPad updates to this event with the iPad Pro, it will be a huge event... biggest we've seen in a long time.

Bottom line is I'm excited about the new iPhones... they sound like a very solid "s" release - force touch should be very interesting and I think the star of the show will be the new Apple TV. iPads, we'll have to wait and see.

I agree with this, the new iPhone's sound very tempting event for myself who has the iPhone 6Plus, the Apple TV also sounds very good and so do the new colours for the Apple Watch (if it is indeed the sport colours that Jony Ive showed off a while back) and the iPad Pro is something i've been waiting on for a while, so if all of these devices are announced i will be VERY happy, but my wallet won't :p

Maybe this is why Apple hired the venue that they have, a massive venue for a massive product launch!

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Unless iPad Pro runs Mac OS, it does not deserve the "Pro" moniker.
I don't think simply adding a stylus would make it a pro device. And I'm not even sure if apple would call it iPad pro anyway or if there just people following rumors. Remember when people thought the big iphone would be iPhone xl?

I do like the rumor though that core m in the MacBook was an early test case for a dual chip iPad pro and that the iPad pro might be able to boot into some kind of touchable OS X

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Again, I don't get the beef with iOS. Apple has added multitasking functionality to iOS 9. I really don't see the difference between say, a professional using an iPad with a Bluetooth keyboard running excel for iOS and Surface Pro-type tablet running OS X running excel. I know this, because in my Engineering Economics class the girl with the Surface Pro wasn't inputing the data into Excel any faster than me with my iPad Air 2. With the right apps, the added multitasking functionality from iOS 9, and a Bluetooth keyboard/stylus I don't see why an iPad in 2015 can't be "Pro" enough.

I don't get it either as to why people want OS X on their iPad.

Making some mishmash hybrid of two OS's into one is a bad idea. Windows 10 doesn't excel at either of its "two" combined OS's. Because the focus isn't on specific things anymore and it's way too broad.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The MS Surface RT was ARM. Besides the new Core M CPU's are rumoured to appear in phones and tablets. Maybe the PRO runs on one of the new skylake CPU's :)
Yeah and look how well the Surface RT did...

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
$800.00 tablet no thank you
Knowing Apple, it will be $599 or $699 for a start. It probably maxes out around $999.

We will see. Ultimately, the iPad Pro will not be a game changer unless it truly offers more (than a bigger screen) for the price. It will be a better browser, document reader, art tablet, extra screen space for Mac programs, etc.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
That quote of his regarding a stylus is often misinterpreted. He was simply referencing smartphones at the time that required a stylus for input.

It doesn't even matter if it's misinterpreted. Who cares what Steve meant when he said this like 8 years ago? He's dead now, for one thing. Second, the dozens and dozens of third party styluses out there, and the dozens and dozens of popular art and note taking apps on iOS, clearly suggest there is a market need for proper stylus support. The existing options are tragically insufficient.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
You're spot on. They won't do this. They don't upstage the iPhone with huge new product announcements. They have separate events.

There are going to be a lot of people here that cry and whine when they don't announce all these things in a single event.

So they had an event in June, this event in September, and another in October? I don't see the third announcement event in six months being a reasonable prediction.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
New iPad Pro featuring a..... drum roll PLEASE Dr Dre............... Revolutionary STYLUS that WE invented!!

Who wants to use their fingers? They are fat and podgy and useless for fine art. so we turned the pen into an electronic pen!

Ive's will no doubt claim it's unapologetically pointed or something equally as daft.

And Apple will look like hypocrites, again. Because they would have realised yet again they do not know what everyone wants.

But whatever, I'll be looking to see what they announce for the Apple TV and this iPad Pro. But if they don't announce an updated iPad Air than in Steve Jobs words about the stylus, They Blew It!

Last edited:

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
I need this device. I think it's likelier to be announced in October, but the sooner the better for me. It's going to revolutionise tablet computing and the way all of us think of the iPad experience.
This might be their new stragedy for brand new products
$800.00 tablet no thank you
Why not? an Ipad Air 2+Cellular runs for $829.00 - If they can offer enough functionality it might be worth it.

I am thinking Apple would need to push the capabilities so much so that it is clear the experience would be much better than working with an Iphone 6 plus or 11" Macbook. Is that possible with current IOS software?:cool:

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
New iPad Pro featuring a..... drum roll PLEASE Dr Dre............... Revolutionary STYLUS that WE invented!!

Who wants to use their fingers? They are fat and podgy and useless for fine art. so we turned the pen into an electronic pen!

Ive's will no doubt claim it's unapologetically pointed or something equally as daft.

And Apple will look like hypocrites. Because they would have realised yet again they do not know what everyone wants.

But whatever, I'll be looking to see what they announce for the Apple TV and this iPad Pro. But if they don't announce an updated iPad Air than in Steve Jobs words about the stylus, They Blew It!

The iPad Air 2 doesn't need to be updated this year. It's still the fastest, most powerful iDevice they offer currently. Even compared to a brand new iPhone 6s or 6s+ it's not far behind, thanks to the tri-core A8X and 2gb of ram. Mini 4 will only be brought up to Air 2 standards, Pro will probably be more powerful for obvious reason.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
Still very disappointed there won't be a new and updated Ipad Air 3 till 2016!! :( :(

Does not make sense at all not updating the most populer size Ipad which is the 9.7 inch ipad.

I was going to buy the Ipad Air 3 but it looks like there won't be a new updated Ipad Air so it will be the new Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 then!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.