Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El Hikaru

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2013
No. Not a good investment considering the tesla stock is already overpriced for its risk. Apple rather want to make iPhone must-have-to-drive-out gadget across the auto brands.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
At least as far as looks and style are concerned, they're remarkably close. Lotus designed the body for the Roadster, and the end result does look quite a bit like an Elise.

Quite right, however the company doesn't make the Roadster anymore and the original comment was referring to a Model S.

It doesn't look dissimilar to the Tesla, to my eye.

You may need your vision checked.

iKrivetko

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2010
The most intriguing part, in my opinion, is that Tesla has done a huge amount of battery R&D, which may prove extremely useful for Apple in case they actually purchase Tesla.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
No. Not a good investment considering the tesla stock is already overpriced for its risk. Apple rather want to make iPhone must-have-to-drive-out gadget across the auto brands.

Companies don't buy other companies as an "investment" but because they believe they can be more productive together than apart. Not that I think that's the case here.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Erm? Slow news day is it? Apple MAY have considered to buy Tesla?

I'm sure Apple MAY have considered a lot of things, but it isn't front page news! This is like Tim Cook MAY have considered eating Frosties or MAY have considered eating some toast...

Anyway I like Tesla, can't afford one but they have fresh ideas and are certainly pushing the electric car tech.

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Posted from the future:

iOS 8.1.1 Release Notes

- Fixes a bug which causes potential heart attacks to be reported incorrectly.

:eek:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
They make hybrids, the absolute most retarded car class in all of existence. It has all the complexity of a gas engine mixed with a halfassed electric engine. More expensive, more difficult to repair, and with questionable benefits.

Hmm.... I wonder if you feel the same about these 'halfassed retarded' hybrid cars?

Highlights-P1-2_2617243b.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

LaFerrari-video.jpg

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Article may be missing the bigger picture!

What commodity do both Apple and Tesla have great need for?

Batteries.

Totally irrelevant. There is a Tesla with an 85KWh battery. iPhone 4 has 5.25 Wh or 0.00525 KWh. But Tesla's batteries need a car to transport them, while Apple's take very little space in a shirt pocket. Anything that Apple knows about batteries is totally useless to Tesla and vice versa.

rboy505

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2012
You may want to reconsider your definition of pioneer, because electric cars aren't any new.

Well, if you want to go there one could say that the design the original Tesla motor was based on preceded that by 16 years (made by the company's namesake). But that doesn't lessen Porsche's accomplishment there (I'm assuming).

Anyway, Apple didn't make the first home computers and Microsoft didn't make the first OS but it's pretty clear both deserve to be called "pioneers". It's not that no one made an electric car before them, but everyone was poo-pooing the viabilty of current battery technology to use in a consumer vehicle and were waiting for someone to pave the way, which is really most of where Tesla deserves the tag. People are making the analogy to Apple and I think there's some of truth to that. Like the earlier poster said, he test drove a Tesla and now is convinced he wants to eventually own one. They're doing something that as a driver you immediately notice and appreciate.

I don't foresee considering going electric until my current car (*cough* ...Camry : ) ) puts out a bit longer. But everyone I know who owns one absolutely loves it, and no one is less than enthusiastic. None wish they hadn't done it. That's a good reason they have the position they do and kind of Apple-like in that way.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
... Adnaan Ahmad created a media stir when he wrote an "open letter" to Apple CEO Tim Cook and board director Al Gore, urging the company to acquire Tesla.

Dummkopf!

----------

They make hybrids, the absolute most retarded car class in all of existence. It has all the complexity of a gas engine mixed with a halfassed electric engine. More expensive, more difficult to repair, and with questionable benefits.

Who? Tesla?
Umm, no, Sparky. Tesla makes pure electric cars.
And the top Model S sedan will do 0-60 mph in 4.2 seconds.

Having said all that, the auto industry is a relic of the 20th century, electric cars or not.
Why would Apple buy into that big ugly mess?
I think Tesla is paying Apple to re-design their hideous dashboard display.
Currently looks like a mash-up of Sim City and Frogger.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Umm....

Perhaps calling it a "toy" is too negative a word. But I know our family gave a Tesla serious consideration too -- and in the end, couldn't cost justify it at all.

In our situation, both my wife and I work full-time and need cars as transportation to/from our jobs, so we do have to own at least 2 vehicles.

In that scenario, the Tesla already loses out, because there's no way we can afford to make the payments on one of them AND a second vehicle.

Right now, the Tesla, as just as *base* configuration (which few people want since you have to pay more for a larger battery capacity, among other things) is over $60K.

All of the arguments about "long term cost of ownership" are relatively meaningless if you can't even get the bank to approve a loan to buy it in the first place, because in their view, it would make your "debt to income ratio" too high.

Sorry, but I don't know what you base this statement on? I'm taking delivery of a Model S in April and it will be my only car. I have a wife and three kids, it's not a "toy".

I agree the car is not cheap, but the total cost of ownership is very low, in fact the net monthly cost comes out about the same as the Volvo it's replacing.

I'm buying mine with a financial lease... I could operationally lease it too if I wanted...

rboy505

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2012
Who? Tesla?
Umm, no, Sparky. Tesla makes pure electric cars.
And the top Model S sedan will do 0-60 mph in 4.2 seconds..

I think he/she was referring to the Byd and Geely reference in their quoted response as the hybrids, no?

(Sorry for not being able to do the multi-quote easily enough on a mini)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
You may need your vision checked.

If you see a major difference, I would suggest that it arises from us caring about different attributes. They both look like sleek shiny cars to me. My taste is enough to see the difference between Macs and PCs, not one luxury car from another. (I can recognize cubes though. Good lord are those ugly.)

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Not really on topic but when I read 'audio' I just couldn't escape thinking about Apple designing and producing high-end audio equipment. Man, I just drool when thinking about Sir Jony Ive designed pre- and power amps. Sigh........ The Apple way.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Interested to see if these talks go anywhere. Would be amazing to see an Apple-branded car.

rboy505

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2012
Totally irrelevant. There is a Tesla with an 85KWh battery. iPhone 4 has 5.25 Wh or 0.00525 KWh. But Tesla's batteries need a car to transport them, while Apple's take very little space in a shirt pocket. Anything that Apple knows about batteries is totally useless to Tesla and vice versa.

Not at all. We're talking about Lithium Ion technology here, which is in hand held devices as well as cars. There's a direct connection.

Besides, size of the object of the technology here isn't a factor, any more than company A making miniature form memory or storage wouldn't be interested in buying company B who has new or more advanced technology for huge sizes of either. If B has discovered how to fit 10 times the previous amount in the same space there could easily be an application for that with A.

Sometimes basic principles apply no matter what the size. It doesn't even have to be a design technology that's sought after if company B has anything proprietary, including a manufacturing process, that is worth the price of the company.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Purchasing Tesla would have helped with their 'cash on hand' problem...

----------

Steve Jobs methodically implanted his personality into Apple's culture so that it could continue without him but I wonder how far that'll take the company without a true visionary looking ahead. Elon Musk at Apple would guarantee the continuation of Steve Jobs' work.

Elon Musk at Apple would guarantee the continuation of Elon Musk's work. I doubt that he'd want to wear the figurative yoke of Steve Jobs, even at Apple.

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I highly doubt this. It's almost laughable.

Conceivably, they could have been looking to acquire certain technologies or patents held by Tesla. That might explain why the head of acquisitions was involved.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
If you see a major difference, I would suggest that it arises from us caring about different attributes. They both look like sleek shiny cars to me. My taste is enough to see the difference between Macs and PCs, not one luxury car from another. (I can recognize cubes though. Good lord are those ugly.)

If you can see the difference between a Mac and PC, you should be able to see the styling differences between two vastly different automobiles. Or are you the kind of person who thinks a Ford Fusion looks like a Chevy Tahoe?

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

And that's why there is a new classification of races for hybrids in the works, or possibly already running somewhere.

Hybrids are 'where it's at' as far as the future. I think they beat hydrogen cars, possible fusion cars, and definitely horse and buggy (which is where we will be post-peak oil) so don't pee on the future there sporto. I could probably find the exact same things uttered when the horse and buggy gave way to steam powered cars, and when steam powered gave way to the internal combustion engine, and one and on...

The point is, there are ALWAYS naysayers that rain on the current parade and then look like fools when history proves them dramatically wrong.

One Ken Olsen famously decreed that there wouldn't be any use for many computers, and totally missed out on the PC market. It was probably one of DEC's biggest mistakes.

Back to the topic: Hybrids will eventually push more radical development into much better batteries, lighter and stronger cars, better service methods, and who knows...

Don't count halfassed (sic) hybrids out.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Not really on topic but when I read 'audio' I just couldn't escape thinking about Apple designing and producing high-end audio equipment. Man, I just drool when thinking about Sir Jony Ive designed pre- and power amps. Sigh........ The Apple way.

Bang and Olufsen already has that covered. But they're not highly regarded by audiophiles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.