Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

Why should we
atone for something we didn't do, was 100+ years before us and generally is of no concern to us? The Civil War is over, and yes, slavery of all types of people was what you did back then. It's not been that way for over 100 years. None of us or our direct family owned another human being. Calling for reparations, promoting one race over another, violence, etc. is equally wrong, no matter who does it.

It would be far better for all sides to treat everyone as equals and the way you would like to be treated. Until that person proves they are not worthy of that respect.
As it looks to a non-American, atonement is required because inequalities born in that era still exist today. Pure egalitarianism is great! It’s a shame we can’t have that because previous mistakes need to be balanced out still.
[doublepost=1503328690][/doublepost]
No, its consistent. Both groups are fascists/totalitarians. I see two groups of idiots parading around and when someone only attacks one of them, I know that person is comfortable replacing violence with speech. I'm not.
Antifa are facists and totalitarians? Please explain. I really want to hear this.

akadafni

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
You were making some sense till the last couple sentences. Then you went off into the tripe that so many on the left spew about the current white house being anti immigrant. He married an immigrant after all. And I think a 90 hold on immigration from SOME countries that happen to be majority muslim does not equate to anti immigrant. The operative word(or number) in that sentence would be 90 days. Only 90 days to reevaluate the current system..... Not permanent.

Steve jobs dad was Syrian and a muslim but his mom was a white catholic from the US. I think he would have had no issues whatsoever under the current administration.
I consider myself to be independent. I am socially liberal and fiscally consertive. I didn't vote for Obama or Trump or a 3rd party candidate.

Thanks and enjoy the eclipse today if you can.

fricotin

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2011
Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca, Mexico

As planned, Apple is now accepting donations to the Southern Poverty Law Center, an Alabama-based non-profit organization, through iTunes. The donation prompt was spotted by Twitter user setteBIT.

SPLC_Logo-800x246.jpg

iTunes users in the United States can donate $5, $10, $25, $50, $100, or $200 with a credit card tied to their account. Apple will transfer 100 percent of the proceeds to the Southern Poverty Law Center, which says it is dedicated to fighting hate and bigotry, protecting civil rights, and seeking justice.

Following a "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, where white nationalists and supremacists clashed with counter-protestors over the removal of a Robert E. Lee statue, Apple said it will be making contributions of $1 million each to the Southern Poverty Law Center and the Anti-Defamation League.

Apple said it will also match two-for-one its employees' donations to those and several other human rights groups, between now and September 30.

Apple has also disabled Apple Pay support on websites selling white nationalist and hate group apparel and accessories. Apple's guidelines prevent Apple Pay from being used on sites promoting hate, intolerance, and violence based on race, age, gender, gender identity, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation.

Apple CEO Tim Cook's full letter to employees was obtained by MacRumors:Southern Poverty Law Center operates offices in four U.S. states, including Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, and Mississippi.

Apple says iTunes Store credit cannot be used to make a donation. The fine print also says donations may not qualify for a tax deduction.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Now Accepting Donations to Southern Poverty Law Center Following Charlottesville Protests
[doublepost=1503328936][/doublepost]I wonder if I am the only one wishing Tim Cook was replaced, I am tired of his leftist political grandstanding.

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
http://jjmccullough.com/CSA.htm
It is therefore very debatable as to whether the CSA was a significantly more pro-"states' rights" country (as supporters claim) in any meaningful sense.

... People can claim the Civil War was "not about slavery" as much as they want, but the fact remains that anyone who fought for the Confederacy was fighting for a country in which a universal right to own slaves was one of the most entrenched laws of the land.

While not an expert in history, I have read and contemplated a fair amount on this topic. I'm on the side of "states rights", but see the notion differently. It wasn't so much about the rights of states to support slavery as it was the right to pull out of the United States. Less than 100 years prior the US had fought a battle with England that we call the "Revolutionary War" but the Brit's saw as a "civil war for separation". In both instances a sub-group was dissatisfied with the status-quo and decided to split off. From what I know of the founding leaders of the US - who openly supported the right to separate - I cannot imagine them intending to prevent states from separating in the future.

The application to slavery is a bit less concrete, but essentially it is that the economy of the southern states was in large measure based on agriculture (cotton, tobacco, etc.)... which was priced based on having a large population of essentially 'free' labor.

I am NOT in any way justifying it. Rather simply stating the facts as I understand them. I also need to restate the obvious points that not everyone owned slaves and the percentage of slave owners was small compared to the population. The large majority of southerns - regardless of their position on succession - were just average people trying to make a living and support their families.

As for people fighting for the Confederacy, many of them were simply fighting because they were called to. The "War of Northern Aggression" was, to many people, fought to prevent one group - the Northern, manufacturing focused states - from unfairly taxing the other group and redistributing it.

As for slavery itself, yes... it WAS a major factor in the way, but it wasn't the primary driver.

Reactions: t76turbo

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
A lot of groups share ideas. IE. Most people think nazi’s are bad. It’d be a bizarre world if every group had opposing ideas - how would that work?

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

supercoolmanchu

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Hollywood
http://jjmccullough.com/CSA.htm

We can get a good glimpse into the founding principles of the Confederacy by taking an in-depth look at the Confederate Constitution, which was approved, and came into use by the rebel states on March 11, 1861. The document is largely a word-for-word copy of the United States Constitution of 1789, but with several key changes. The changes offer the clearest window of insight into how precisely the CSA intended to be different from the USA, and why.

Overall, the CSA constitution does not radically alter the federal system that was established by the United States constitution. It is therefore very debatable as to whether the CSA was a significantly more pro-"states' rights" country (as supporters claim) in any meaningful sense. At least three states rights are explicitly taken away — the freedom of states to grant voting rights to non-citizens, the freedom of states to trade freely with each other, and, of course, the freedom of states to outlaw slavery within their borders.

States only gain four minor rights under the Confederate system — the power to enter into treaties with other states to regulate waterways, the power to tax foreign and domestic ships that use their waterways, the power to impeach (some) federally-appointed officials, and the power to distribute "bills of credit."

As far as slave-owning rights go, however, the document is much more effective. Four different clauses entrench the legality of slavery in a number of different ways, and together they virtually guarantee that any sort of anti-slave law or policy would be unconstitutional. People can claim the Civil War was "not about slavery" as much as they want, but the fact remains that anyone who fought for the Confederacy was fighting for a country in which a universal right to own slaves was one of the most entrenched laws of the land.

Absolutely agree, the State's Rights argument is semantic ********. It wasn't about any other right than slavery, nobody was fighting over walnut tariffs, etc.

However only a tiny percentage of Southerns were slave owners, and it should be mentioned that African Americans were also a small percentage of slave owners themselves. There were a lot of people caught up in that war by much larger forces. And let's not forget, the Northerners weren't exactly doing this out of noble intent nor with noble methods.

Most of the political power in the North behind absolution was based on pressure from industries looking for cheap labor in Northern factories, that they could pay next to 'slave wages'. Also General Sherman didn't just fight battles, he famously and indiscriminately burned his way 'to the sea' across the South.

Not all Confederate army officers were for slavery, and a large number of Southerners were rightly resentful of brutal Northern methods, and naturally rooting for those that were fighting against this. For example you can be against gang related crime, but still pissed at the police when they destroy your house to get at them.

However... EVERYONE should know this by now. This is all junior high level history, and unless your education was so poor to exclude this, its worth remembering Lincoln called for reconciliation with the South, rather than punishment. Everybody would do well to wise up and remember that.

Reactions: t76turbo

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
I do however have a problem with people wanting to change history if it doesn't fit their views/agenda.
History isn't being changed. Removing the statues is about not celebrating a group of traitors who hated the USA, left the country, gave their cornerstone speech which defended slavery and white supremacy and then proceeded to attack our country and American troops when our first Republican president told them that slavery has been abolished and they must comply.

I have a feeling this could very well be the final nail in the coffin of the supposed American way... Deny everyone freedoms like the freedom of speech because of a small fringe of morons and adopt policies that wouldn't look out of place in Nazi Germany in an effort to supposedly fight fascism and racism. It's truly mindboggling to watch the general public essentially push the idea that the government, currently run by Trump and the Republicans, should have the same kind powers of censorship as the Ministry of Truth had in Orwell's 1984.
What policies and powers? People are simply speaking up against any kind of Nazism in our society.

The shooter said he targeted that agency because he thought they were an actual hate group. The agency promoted traditional marriage. Now how is that a hate group?
"promoted traditional marriage" is a cute way of saying they only support marriage for straight people and not gay people.
Marriage is a legal contract between 2 people that is issued by the government, which has to remain impartial to all citizens of that country that are eligible.
That agency you mentioned wants to use religion to dictate that our secular, taxpayer funded government should deny equal rights and tax benefits to those same taxpayers due to sexual orientation, which makes them a hate group promoting hostility towards gay people.

True, but one group had a permit to march and practice their 1st Amendment right to free speech...Not that I'm defending Neo Nazis or anything, I'm just defending their right to free speech.
The permit doesn't refer to a group, it refers to a specific area and time. Once it has been issued then anybody can protest in that area during that specific time.
So yes those counterprotesters are also allowed to exercise their same 1st amendment rights you claim to be defending.

Tim Cook trying to paint Apple as being non-partisan is laughable...Why now is it so important for Apple to speak out?
Speaking out against nazism is, or at least should be, a non-partisan issue. Your post attacking Apple for speaking up is the reason why Apple, among others, has to speak out in the first place.
And why are they speaking out now? Because it just happened now...

It's another of Timmy's personal agendas that's hurting the company, since there is a great part of Apple's customer base that do not share his superficial approach to issues as sensitive as this one.
Speaking out against nazism is not superficial nor a "personal agenda".
Oh and the company is doing fine as shown by their rapidly increasing value.

I can see why Democrats want to remove the statues of the Democrat segregationists and Democrat KKK members all over the south. It must be embarrassing to admit that it is their history. That is a TRUE "Inconvenient History".
So why are you triggered when Democrats remove these statues?
And since you are well versed in our history then can you also explain to us why Republicans are the ones embracing these confederate statutes, flags and the KKK?

I personally visited Dachau.
No you didn't. You visited the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site which condemns nazism and teaches visitors the horrors that happened and why it was/is wrong.
This is unlike our situation of using taxpayers money to place statutes of American traitors onto taxpayer funded government property with no attempt at educating but instead depicting the confederates in a proud light.

SPLC is, without any exception, targeting the white population. They are fighting against "anti-migration", "anti-muslim", "anti-left". If they where anti-extremists, in any form or color, I would support them. Violent terrorist groups like antifa and BLM are not mentioned at all. Neither is the strong anti-semittism from the left. There is something fundamentally wrong in society when it is ok to discriminate people of a certain color or belief. Aren't we supposed to fight that?

אני יהודי מזוין, אז תשתוק
Your whining about "targeting the white population" is patently false.
They have listed the Nation Of Islam (a black and muslim/islam group) as a hate group, New Black Panther Party (a black and anti-semitic group) as a hate group and have a whole file on the Black Separatist ideology for being anti-white among other things.
What you really meant is that you don't like when the SPLC speaks up against nazism.

Tim's SJW issues leads me to the conclusion that I made the correct decision to limit my spending on Apple products.
Speaking out against nazism is not an SJW issue.

Last edited:

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Tim Cook is wrong. There IS a moral equivalence between the neo nazis and the people that violently appose them (the key word is "violently"). They are ALL idiots. Violence is not the answer no matter which side you are on.

This.

Trumps press event that he was criticized about was a discussion that had 4 groups in it that he talked about. Nazis, people not wanting statues torn down, people wanting statues torn down and the Antifa black masked baseball swinging alt left people.

Trump SAID BOTH SIDES had bad people. The Nazis and the black masked baseball bat swinging alt left Antifa like violent thugs. This is true. That's 2 groups. Are Nazis worse than the antifa people? I think they are both bad. Maybe one is a 98 out of 100 on the bad people scale and the other is a 99 but they are both bad.

Trump also said there are good people that were there. Those were the peaceful people assembling in support or opposition of the statue being taking down. There are arguments on both sides. But the groups that showed up in support or opposition who did so peacefully and should be held up as being good people for behaving like good people even if you don't agree with their stance. That is the freedom of assembly, speech and expression that we should hold dear and ensure is not weakened in any way. Trump spoke about that in his speech and now everyone is thinking this:

They are thinking that trump said the good people were the Nazi's when he was referring to the two peaceful groups. They think when he is saying there are bad dudes on the both sides that he is comparing the Nazis to the peaceful anti statute folks.

This comprehension error on the part of CEO's, the mainstream media and the leftist groups is causing an undue uproar and it is why you hear people saying Trump did nothing wrong but the ears of the hateful people on the left wont listen to this reasoning. They want trump gone and will believe a lie to go in that direction, but just like the election, this info is wrong and they are going to be surprised when they get nowhere with their movement because it is all based on a lie. Trump is not the racist they try make him out to be, going down that path is going to get the left confused and they will fail.

supercoolmanchu

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Hollywood
I read Tim Cook's open letter. And agree with its contents in totality.

Regardless of my support, it saddens me deeply when reading the avalanche of comments herein. It almost looks like some of you are foaming at your collective mouths. And come ready to spew one-sided, recalcitrant views that perpetuate hate and division among us.

The symbols that you support are being used to claim white superiority. There are no good nazis, no good KKK, no good supremacists. They belong all on a heap of discarded history.

White supremacist thinking is rooted in ignorance, a feeling of powerlessness, and an overall lack of self-esteem. And it is being exploited by a power elite.

It is surprising to see this on an Apple-oriented site, which should be used to support enlightenment not retrograde feelings.

Just to make it clear, I do not belong to any of the groups that are subject to this hate. But nevertheless support their right to live unafraid, and prosper, among us.

This is what America, to me, is all about.

If you are against discrimination, then you are a hypocrite if you support Apple giving money to the SPLC. Because that is exactly the trade that the SPLC is engaging in.

There is no way to spin Tim Cook giving them Apple's corporate cash as a noble cause. They are on the wrong side of hate along with the Neo-Nazis.

1. Apple should not be rewarding vile and revolting behavior with $$$.
2. Apple should not be encouraging their employees to give $ in the name of equality to groups that practice discrimination.

I'm all for Apple's corporate stance on equality, but Tim Cook is a hypocritical creep, if he doesn't fix this.

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
Some links for the few who still think SPLC is legitimate:

The SPLC is a non-profit heralded for its noble history defending civil rights. Founded in 1971, the Montgomery, Ala. legal advocacy organization sued the Ku Klux Klan and other white supremacist groups in the South on behalf of victims. Big settlements and harsh sanctions were levied against the racist organizations, successfully shuttering some and scaring off many others.

But by 1986, these groups had rapidly declined. The SPLC could have declared “mission accomplished.” But since funds were still coming in, they declared a new mission statement. No longer would they fight Grand Wizards and Jim Crow, but turned instead to an endlessly expanding target of “extremism.” The change in goals was so stark, the entire legal staff resigned.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...verty-law-center-hate-groups-column/99117508/

complaints have trailed the SPLC as the group has expanded beyond its crusade against racial discrimination in the South, increasingly taking up the left flank of the culture wars on issues like LGBT rights, church-state division, Islam and immigration. The new approach has prompted accusations of overreach: The SPLC has included Senator Rand Paul and Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson among the neo-Nazis and white supremacists on its extremists lists (Paul for suggesting private businesses shouldn’t have to adhere to the Civil Rights Act and criticizing the Fair Housing Act; Carson for his views opposing same-sex marriage). The group did back down after it put Carson on the 2014 “extremist watch” list—removing his name and issuing an apology that earned a lot of coverage in the conservative media. “This week, as we’ve come under intense criticism for doing so, we’ve reviewed our profile and have concluded that it did not meet our standards,” the organization’s statement said, “so we have taken it down and apologize to Dr. Carson for having posted it.”
http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...splc-trump-southern-poverty-law-center-215312

akadafni

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
Any
History isn't being changed. Removing the statues is about not celebrating a group of traitors who hated the USA, left the country, gave their cornerstone speech which defended slavery and white supremacy and then proceeded to attack our country and American troops when our first Republican president told them that slavery has been abolished and they must comply.

What policies and powers? People are simply speaking up against any kind of Nazism in our society.

"promoted traditional marriage" is a cute way of saying they only support marriage for straight people and not gay people.
Marriage is a legal contract between 2 people that is issued by the government, which has to remain impartial to all citizens of that country that are eligible.
That agency you mentioned wants to use religion to dictate that our secular, taxpayer funded government should deny equal rights and tax benefits to those same taxpayers due to sexual orientation, which makes them a hate group promoting hostility towards gay people.

The permit doesn't refer to a group, it refers to a specific area and time. Once it has been issued then anybody can protest in that area during that specific time.
So yes those counterprotesters are also allowed to exercise their same 1st amendment rights you claim to be defending.

Speaking out against nazism is, or at least should be, a non-partisan issue. Your post attacking Apple for speaking up is the reason why Apple, among others, has to speak out in the first place.

Speaking out against nazism is superficial and a "personal agenda"? Oh and the company is doing fine as shown by their rapidly increasing value.

So why are you triggered when Democrats remove these statues?
And since you are well versed in our history then can you also explain to us why Republicans are the ones embracing these confederate statutes, flags and the KKK?

No you didn't. You visited the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site which condemns nazism and teaches visitors the horrors that happened and why it was/is wrong.
This is unlike our situation of using taxpayers money to place statutes of American traitors onto taxpayer funded government property with no attempt at educating but instead depicting the confederates in a proud light.

Your whining about "targeting the white population" is patently false.
They have listed the Nation Of Islam (a black and muslim/islam group) as a hate group, New Black Panther Party (a black and anti-semitic group) as a hate group and have a whole file on the Black Separatist ideology for being anti-white among other things.
What you really meant is that you don't like when the SPLC speaks up against nazism.

Speaking out against nazism is an SJW issue.
Any person who raises the Nazi flag in the name of "free speech" is NOT a patriot.

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
[doublepost=1503328936][/doublepost]I wonder if I am the only one wishing Tim Cook was replaced, I am tired of his leftist political grandstanding.

As a stock holder I would agree with you. I dont like seeing the company money donated to any 'causes'. Especially if they are politically oriented causes. If Tim wanted to donate his own money, more power to him. Even if they wanted to put the link up for customers to donate via itunes. That is fine because they do that for natural disasters etc even though I think this organization is ultra political and would rather them not.... But I would rather company money be used to further the businesses success.

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
I never really understand why so many people get uptight when Apple promotes something they believe in, unless of course, said people disagree with whatever stand Apple is taking.

As an alternate perspective, I don't care for Apple - AS A COMPANY - getting involved in promoting anything other than Apple. The same is true for every other company.

Tim Cook, however, has the right and responsibility to promote whatever perspectives he chooses.

The problem comes when Tim Cook purports to speak for all of Apple. That includes employees and stockholders, and on the surface implies customers.

Again, just my perspective, but it explains the issue without requiring anyone to be in favor of bigotry.

Reactions: amegicfox and DVD9
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.