Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jw77777

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
Don’t know if this has been posted, but Google Hangouts app is crashing on launch.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
This is frustrating. All of the iOS 13 betas on my iPad Pro 10.5 have been pretty buggy, including the latest 13.0 one. Just in that release, it's still super buggy, laggy, delayed, and hard to control when using slide over/gestures/split screen. Also when I use slide over, it's often that apps just appear gray and I can't interact with them at all. Notes has some bugs with the Apple Pencil tool box. It randomly changes to dark mode for a second. If I minimize it, and then maximize it, half of the tools are out of the range of the toolbox. OneNote does the same thing with its toolbar if it's in split screen.

I'm debating just switching back to iOS 12 on my iPad until the GM release since Apple seems to be done with the 13.0 betas. School has started back up, and the iPad is my main device for taking notes every day. I don't know if I can stand 2-3 more weeks of this bugginess, even though I'll really miss the new features for the time being.

Diane B

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Western NC foothills
This is frustrating. All of the iOS 13 betas on my iPad Pro 10.5 have been pretty buggy, including the latest 13.0 one. Just in that release, it's still super buggy, laggy, delayed, and hard to control when using slide over/gestures/split screen. Also when I use slide over, it's often that apps just appear gray and I can't interact with them at all. Notes has some bugs with the Apple Pencil tool box. It randomly changes to dark mode for a second. If I minimize it, and then maximize it, half of the tools are out of the range of the toolbox. OneNote does the same thing with its toolbar if it's in split screen.

I'm debating just switching back to iOS 12 on my iPad until the GM release since Apple seems to be done with the 13.0 betas. School has started back up, and the iPad is my main device for taking notes every day. I don't know if I can stand 2-3 more weeks of this bugginess, even though I'll really miss the new features for the time being.
I have the issue with Messages you have on gen 1 12.9pro (grey) in slideovers. Have decided to wait to install on 2018 Pro.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
What stability problems are you experiencing?

I wasn't on it for more then maybe an hour, but mail was not working and 3 of my most used apps would instantly crash. I tried a few hard resets and reinstalls of the apps, but to no avail.

macking104

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2003
California, USA
Still having battery issues... goes to 20% in just a few hours
sometimes when I open mail, the inbox listings go all the way up the page, over the All boxes and [date/time]
still getting double spaced text between words in Facebook when posting in communities...

sapbasis

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
I wasn't on it for more then maybe an hour, but mail was not working and 3 of my most used apps would instantly crash. I tried a few hard resets and reinstalls of the apps, but to no avail.

Thanks. I'll upgrade and check mail and a few of my most used apps.

Mxchabster

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2019
I installed it on iphone xs max and it is very stable with almost no bugs. So far, I’m happy with it. The apps that stopped working are working again. Faster too

Reactions: beanbaguk

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Thanks. I'll upgrade and check mail and a few of my most used apps.

It was an easy downgrade if need be. I just downloaded the beta 13 ipsw and installed it. Normally I would have to then load a backup, but it just restored as if I never jumped to 13.1. It was weird.
[doublepost=1567034756][/doublepost]
Won't turning off automatic updates do the same thing?

You want to delete the profile so you don't stay on the beta path, if that is your goal.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
This whole 13.1 thing is so strange for the Dev betas, but now it is rolling to public betas too... Should we expect ios 13.0 to be completely skipped, or will the next beta correct this mistake?
Yes.
There is no reason for Apple to have seeded developers 13.1 beta prior to any 13.0 GM, if there was ever going to be one.

Apple very routinely seeds the GM of a release followed shortly or even immediately by the first beta of the next release. They do not skip the line unless they are not going back. The scary part is that Apple now has to wrap up the GM of 13.1 by the original launch date of 13.0's GM, unless of course the entire release has been delayed...which given the fact that today is August 28th and no invite has gone out for the presumed September 10th event (also the date that the GM would be expected)...everything might be delayed now.

Chris The Bipolarbear

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Волгоград
Yes.
There is no reason for Apple to have seeded developers 13.1 beta prior to any 13.0 GM, if there was ever going to be one.

Apple very routinely seeds the GM of a release followed shortly or even immediately by the first beta of the next release. They do not skip the line unless they are not going back. The scary part is that Apple now has to wrap up the GM of 13.1 by the original launch date of 13.0's GM, unless of course the entire release has been delayed...which given the fact that today is August 28th and no invite has gone out for the presumed September 10th event (also the date that the GM would be expected)...everything might be delayed now.
Note This is MY Personal opinion! For what apple is trying to do needs 3 new operating systems to work in sync perfectly and at the moment Catalina is going through stability and usability problems so it could be possible that they have diminished IOS 13 but are still struggling with Catalina. Hence they could be continuing to refine iOS 13 hence the surprise 13.1 release. Ultimately Apple are the only ones who really now what's going on, and there not saying anything at the moment.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
iPhone will probably launch with iOS 13.0 to support the new devices and Haptic Touch. But perhaps some additional camera features might come in iOS 13.1. We saw this with iPhone 7 Plus. Portrait Mode was introduced but wasn't available until iOS 10.1.

Apple needs to lock down iOS 13.0 very soon in order to start MP of the new iPhones.

This again? Really?

Apple doesn't lock down the GM of the annual x.0 release until the day before the iPhone announcement event, which means it is not being pre-installed on anything prior to then. Going by normal patterns, that means Apple would not be installing 13.0 on anything at any factory prior to September 10th. The phones don't leave the factory until 24-48 hours before launch day (probably Sept. 20), so they have plenty of time to install the GM. Normally.

But now that Apple has clearly stopped development of 13.0 and moved on to 13.1 more than 2 weeks before they would usually lock, that's a good indication that 13.0 is not happening at all. 13.1 is the new release candidate, likely because 13.0 was not going to be releasable, and something about 13.1 made them feel they could get where they needed to be sooner. Of course, here we are at Aug. 28th and haven't seen invite for the September event either. If we don't see one by Friday, it is pretty safe bet that everything is delayed, until 13.1 GM can be established.

We don't really know exactly what is going on, but I tell you confidently that the above bold is Not what is going on.

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
As someone on 13, I will not be upgrading to 13.1. This is the first time I’ve done the public beta (on my iPad), and I don’t know what’s going on. I’ll wait for the official GM release and go from there.

iterryaki

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2019
iOS 13.1 on XSMAX has been working swiftly for me so far since I updated to it 5 hours ago. Apps definitely launch faster, it is very noticeable!! Mail works fine for me, I use the built-in Mail app for my work emails. Battery life similar to 13 beta 8. My usual work apps worked fine for me, Skype, Line, Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, Drive, Calendar Keep, Photo, Assistant, Chrome, Authenticator), Zoom, Microsoft Apps, Whatsapp, Wechat, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn. All work great so far.
I definitely think 13.1 is okay if you think 13 beta 8 was ok.

Reactions: ConfusedChris

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
This again? Really?

Apple doesn't lock down the GM of the annual x.0 release until the day before the iPhone announcement event, which means it is not being pre-installed on anything prior to then. Going by normal patterns, that means Apple would not be installing 13.0 on anything at any factory prior to September 10th. The phones don't leave the factory until 24-48 hours before launch day (probably Sept. 20), so they have plenty of time to install the GM. Normally.

But now that Apple has clearly stopped development of 13.0 and moved on to 13.1 more than 2 weeks before they would usually lock, that's a good indication that 13.0 is not happening at all. 13.1 is the new release candidate, likely because 13.0 was not going to be releasable, and something about 13.1 made them feel they could get where they needed to be sooner. Of course, here we are at Aug. 28th and haven't seen invite for the September event either. If we don't see one by Friday, it is pretty safe bet that everything is delayed, until 13.1 GM can be established.

We don't really know exactly what is going on, but I tell you confidently that the above bold is Not what is going on.
I've always wondered how they load the OS onto the phones at the factory but final assembly probably started at the beginning of August. I always imagined that they already have a stable GM internally that's loaded well before it's official release. The GM typically launches to the public the week after the iPhone event and by then phones are already on UPS flights for the United States if we're looking at a delivery date one week after the pre-order. There's no way they load that thing onto 12 million phones (this is called wide-eyed optimism) in the few day before pre-order.

I'm on the iPadOS beta right now and considering what people have described here I'm really reluctant to let it upgrade to 13.1 and not sure if I'm gonna ride 13.0 into mid-September or hope for a more stable Beta 2 next week.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
It was an easy downgrade if need be. I just downloaded the beta 13 ipsw and installed it. Normally I would have to then load a backup, but it just restored as if I never jumped to 13.1. It was weird.
[doublepost=1567034756][/doublepost]

You want to delete the profile so you don't stay on the beta path, if that is your goal.
Why delete the profile? I’m looking right now at a screen where it asks to install 13.1. Seems like I can just NOT click “install now” and keep running iOS 13. Unless I’m missing something.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes.

An interesting supposition, and while it’s certainly within the realm of what’s possible, it certainly doesn’t rule out other possibilities, like the one of iOS 13.0 still being released, as x.0 are usually released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.