Apple Shares Three New Ads in 'Switch to iPhone' Campaign

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Hmm how taste differs - for me they are the most uninspired spots I ever have seen...
They are uninspiring to you, but the intentions behind the advertisements is exhibiting what the iPhone can offer and features it incorporates differently than other competitors. It's not about being better per se, but what separates the iPhone from everyone else.

rp2011

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2010
You may not be lying to yourself, but keeping your eyes squeezed tightly shut so you don't see what's out in the market isn't doing you any favors.

You're right though, it may well make you feel better. As they say, ignorance is bliss.
Yeah speak for yourself and educate yourself.

ElQben

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2014
Apple used to address "the competition" abstractly, or not at all. I guess the slipping market share has got them on edge.

truthertech

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2016
Wish I lived closer to you I'd let you try to hack into my S8. If you think you can get into it before it wipes itself clean after too many tries. Should be a piece of cake right? Then I'm sure you'll just go right through the Knox into the secure folder right? You should find someone with a locked and encrypted modern Galaxy phone and give it a try if it's easy.

It's not going to happen that way. It will be the susceptible Android platform that will allow installation and then easy control. Again, that's a fact, not an opinion. Apple has an advantage by controlling the entire ecosystem of hardware, including chip design, software and services, such as the App store.

Moreover, Google's entire system is designed to capture your information and centralize it outside of your control. That's an inherent vulnerability that you can't overcome if you choose to use Google's "free" services. For example, follow along in the following, assume someone was interested in you, for whatever reason, let's say you were a dissident/activist, or a friend of one, or you had a job in tech where you had access to some sensitive information or technology and there was an interest in recruiting you via blackmail, or an authoritarian government now or in the future wanted to identify potential enemies, etc., then think what a tremendous advantage it would be to that government, or intel agency or hackers, etc., that you are an avid user of Google/Android platform where:

someone has scanned and stored every email you've ever written or received,
has a record of everywhere you have ever driven or stopped and how long you've spent there,
has a copy of every document you've ever uploaded,
has a copy of every photograph you've ever taken or received
has a record of every search you've done
has a record of every website you've visited and what you've clicked on
has a copy of every social media post you've read or made or liked
has a record of everything you've said in front of Google Assistant
has a record of every podcast, song, etc., you've listened to and comments made
knows every book, magazine, news article you've read
knows every movie you've ever watched
has a record of every purchase you've made.
etc., etc., etc., all stored in essence in a master file on you.

Pretty frightening isn't it to think how that information might be used in the future against you or a member of your family. The East German Stasi, or Soviet KGB could hardly have dreamed of such a gold mine of information that they didn't need to assemble, but was done voluntarily by the populace.Google relies on heavy donations to politicians to ensure that "opt in" laws, etc., are never adopted as they would soon be in financial jeopardy were folks ever to wake up to what they are doing. For example, I've never met anyone who wasn't shocked to learn that every email they are sent or receive via Gmail is scanned and stored by Google forever. I've never met anyone who wasn't shocked to learn that Google assigns you a "universal identifying number" that is used to link all of the above information about you into a master dossier. People aren't aware that when they use Google photos they give Google in essence a worldwide license to use the photos forever. Sad indeed.

Be glad that you have the option of using Apple products. With Apple, not only are you not the product, but they have a corporate focus and branding effort around privacy and security.

Last edited:

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007
I've owned both several iPhones and several (vanilla) Android phones and honestly i couldn't tell which is better (except for the camera), i have enjoyed both worlds. I think this kind of advertising is quite low niveau and i remember LOL'ing about such advertisements from Apple competition a couple of years ago. ...

Currently i'm on Android (Nexus 5X). As soon as Apple releases products i want to buy again, for a price that i consider appropriate, i will be happy to consider switching back. I really liked my iPhone 4 and 5S, but i really like my Nexus 5X, too.
The Nexus ship has sailed. Google now wants you to pay iPhone price for them, aka Pixel. Oh and it's not like you get better support either. Google stated Pixel is only supported for 2 years from the release date.

The best upgrade path on Android right now is to buy a cheap Xiaomi. You don't have to worry about updates as you can pretty much buy a new phone every 6 months or so and still won't break the bank.
[doublepost=1496105711][/doublepost]
These videos aren't very convincing.

Security? Is Apple forgetting The Fappening and how private pictures of people's orifices leaked all over the internet?

Contacts? On Android it automatically saves to the cloud so you never lose them unlike iOS where lost contacts is a common occurrence.

People want to see modern design, better hardware, overhaul the dumbed down iOS, competitive services, etc. No one is even considering until the new iPhone comes out.
The Fappening is more about social engineering and weak password, not really about the security of iOS.

As for contacts, this is not about Android not saving your contacts. This is about telling lay people that you can transfer contacts easily when you switch, which you correctly pointed out about the cloud. You have correct answer for the wrong question.

Better hardware? Considering the Snapdragon 835 is barely beating the A9, let alone the A10, Apple is really nailing the SoC and OS. Oh you mean new lipsticks every 6 months? Well, if you like your phone to look different every 6 months, that's your preference.

Competitive service? Like support and service? I got my Verizon phone serviced in Japan, and my Japanese 6S serviced in Singapore, all under Apple warranty. Name an Android OEM that offers worldwide warranty like that. I know first hand that Sony, Samsung, and HTC, the top dogs of Android, don't.

Cloud services? Google services work great on iOS. ;)

If you actually go out and meet regular people, they buy and continue buying iPhones because it's more of the same. Regular people think phones as a tool, and they don't want to have to re-learn how to use their tools everytime they upgrade. Apple's "boringness" is actually what many people end up "liking" on iPhone, even though they still complain about stuff.

Reactions: 6foot5foot

Nabby51

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2010
Everyone is so mad here...

Both Android and iOS have their pros and cons. I personally just gave my iPhone 6s plus to my lady because I switched to an s8. Soon to be an s8+. I thought I could get away with the smaller screen but I really want the larger screen. There is only 1 feature I miss from the iPhone. The force touch keyboard function to scroll through text. Outside of that the s8 is a fantastic device.

I still have my iPad air 2 and will continue to keep that until there is something compelling from someone else.

That's just me though.

Reactions: Geert76

Karma*Police

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2012
Those ads are ****ing terrible. Among the worst Apple have ever made. They tell you absolutely nothing about why the iPhone is any better than an alternative.
Um, it's smoother and more secure? If you're planning to switch, moving your contacts is really easy? The benefits message seems crystal clear to me.

gco212

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
Wish I lived closer to you I'd let you try to hack into my S8. If you think you can get into it before it wipes itself clean after too many tries. Should be a piece of cake right? Then I'm sure you'll just go right through the Knox into the secure folder right? You should find someone with a locked and encrypted modern Galaxy phone and give it a try if it's easy.
LOL, I don't think most people are that concerned that in mid-2016, a researcher found vulnerabilities that had already been patched in software released for Android 4.3. I mean, 4.3 was only released in 2013. They really did a great job of finding those software vulnerabilities three years too late.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2012
What's different is that I cannot use my favourite pair of earphones (already lost 2 adaptors), cannot listen to music and charge without a fugly dongle, and the home button feels like a clunky trackpad. For all intents and purposes, it's THE SAME PHONE with a few extra buzzes when flipping toggles. Even for "bells and whistles" standards, that's infinitesimal to merit a 2-year iteration.

I'd rather they got their ***** act together. "Taking time" was understandable 15 years ago when they were a struggling company on the verge of extinction. Apple today has 100K employees, the best R&D money can afford, hundreds of billions in the bank and a trillion dollar valuation. The current state of their products is inexcusable.
[doublepost=1496078733][/doublepost]

What are the record numbers of people receiving an iPhone 7 as a company issued phone, as in my case, and how does it contribute to the sum total?
Dude, the headphone jack ship has sailed... You're not going to die because you can't listen to music for 15 minutes while your iPhone charges. Or, get a pair of AirPods and you'll see why there's been a 6 week waiting list for 7 months. Not even the iPod had that kind of surprise demand.

I honestly don't know what you expect. Look around you. Who's innovating? Intel? Google? Microsoft? What breakthrough products have they introduced lately? As bad as you make Apple out to be, they're still the industry leader with the most widely copied products for a reason.

Perhaps you need to adjust your expectations... Apple isn't going to deliver another iPhone anytime soon (if ever) and neither is anyone else.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
These advertisements make me cringe
well they aren't really for you are they. you are tech savvy and they are clearly for folks that are not. just like those emotional cheesy ones like the kid at christmas who looked like he was just playing games but he was secretly making a greeting card video for his family. awww how sweet

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007
Considering the face recognition and iris scanner of the S8 have been demonstrated to be easily bypassed with a picture and some low level ingenuity, I would not really put too much trust on Samsung in terms of security. They cannot even make their own OS, tizen, properly (it was found to be severely insecure).

And for most Android phones pre-nougat, encryption is turned off by default. Considering most don't even get nougat, it's still a wild west out there. You just cannot make claims Android as a platform to be secure. Only extreme few OEMs put some effort, and that is only on select few handsets.

AcidPuke13

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2017
Atlanta, GA
i find my 7 to be a mediocre upgrade. i'd be pleased to have a headphone jack again. while trying out my sister's pixel i was really impressed with how well it performed. love my ipad pro but i think i'd rather have an android phone at this point.

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007
i find my 7 to be a mediocre upgrade. i'd be pleased to have a headphone jack again. while trying out my sister's pixel i was really impressed with how well it performed. love my ipad pro but i think i'd rather have an android phone at this point.
If you think the 7 is a mediocre upgrade from, I assume the 6S;to point an example from everybody's favorite the Galaxy S8, then the S8 is an even more mediocre upgrade from the S7 edge. You basically just get a larger screen and an updates SoC. Worse, it's less ergonomic with the placement of the fingerprint scanner. The S7 is already water proof and everything, and the camera is the same.

Smart phones are mature. Every new iteration will be just "mediocre." It is even worse on Android where everybody is using the same off the shelve hardware.

Meanwhile, the 7 brings better camera, water resistant, even faster SoC (SD835 barely beats the A9), better tactic engine, better speaker, over the 6S.

And I don't understand the insistence of having a headphone jack, where each iPhone 7 comes with lightning ear bud and an adapter. It's not like Apple left users high n dry. The Android camp is moving to the same direction, with Motorola, HTC, and even Xiaomi (the latest Mi6 doesn't have a headphone jack). Just saying.

macfacts

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Moving contacts has been super simple since dumb phones. People can store them on a SIM card and switch phones with no problem.

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007
Moving contacts has been super simple since dumb phones. People can store them on a SIM card and switch phones with no problem.
Easy for geeks here to say. Go outside once in a while.
Oh to add, even when I use my Nokia E feature phone, it's not storing contacts on the SIM unless the user forcefully do so. It stores them into its internal storage. The SIM contact storage is mostly on even older phones that has only tiny internal ROM storage.
[doublepost=1496114998][/doublepost]
Disabling comments on every one of your YouTube ads:

COURAGE!
Apole doesn't need revenue from YouTube engagement. Many companies and government institutions also disable comments. Nothing unusual.

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
Worse, it's less ergonomic with the placement of the fingerprint scanner. The S7 is already water proof and everything, and the camera is the same.
While the choice Samsung made with the GS8's fingerprint sensor is a little odd, having lived with one for the past 2 months on the back of the phone, it's ergonomically better. The one I have is below the camera in the middle right where your index finger rests when picking the phone up. It works very well and I find the iPhone's placement odd and un-natural when I try my 6+.

Smart phones are mature. Every new iteration will be just "mediocre." It is even worse on Android where everybody is using the same off the shelve hardware.
Which forces them to innovate. ZTE and HTC have front firing speakers. The ones in my ZTE, combined with Dolby Atmos rock. While not the best for background music or music out and about they are great. Just listened to them for many hours over the weekend while on a trip and they sounded great and all were impressed.

LG tried a new form factor and has phones with awesome DAC's for headphone use.

Samsung has Occulus.

And I don't understand the insistence of having a headphone jack, where each iPhone 7 comes with lightning ear bud and an adapter. It's not like Apple left users high n dry. The Android camp is moving to the same direction, with Motorola, HTC, and even Xiaomi (the latest Mi6 doesn't have a headphone jack). Just saying.
I use my headphone jack every day - I fall asleep to music with headphones so not to disturb the wife. I also use it a lot at the office for not disturbing coworkers. Or with noise cancelling headphones while mowing the lawn. For the night listening. it's not really possible with the iPhone 7's dongle as I'd be doing a phone charge dance in the AM or rely on some hokey 3rd party adapter. And with the better DAC in my Axon 7 music sounds awesome with good headphones.

I don't know I'd buy another phone without a jack or a better DAC for headphones - the SQ increase is great, even on downloaded songs.

Last edited:
Reactions: otternonsense

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007
While the choice Samsung made with the GS8's fingerprint sensor is a little odd, having lived with one for the past 2 months on the back of the phone, it's ergonomically better. The one I have is below the camera in the middle right where your index finger rests when picking the phone up. It works very well and I find the iPhone's placement odd and un-natural when I try my 6+.

Which forces them to innovate. ZTE and HTC have front firing speakers. The ones in my ZTE, combined with Dolby Atmos rock. While not the best for background music or music out and about they are great. Just listened to them for many hours over the weekend while on a trip and they sounded great and all were impressed.

LG tried a new form factor and has phones with awesome DAC's for headphone use.

Samsung has Occulus.

I use my headphone jack every day - I fall asleep to music with headphones so not to disturb the wife. I also use it a lot at the office for not disturbing coworkers. Or with noise cancelling headphones while mowing the lawn. For the night listening. it's not really possible with the iPhone 7's dongle as I'd be doing a phone charge dance in the AM or rely on some hokey 3rd party adapter. And with the better DAC in my Axon 7 music sounds awesome with good headphones.

I don't know I'd buy another phone without a jack or a better DAC for headphones - the SQ increase is great, even on downloaded songs.
I am using Vivo V3 and Xiaomi Mi Max, both fingerprint scanner locations make more sense than Samsung's. And front facing one imo is more more usable, especially when the phone is on a desk or on a car holder. The back facing location is only useful when one is holding the phone.

HTV is innovating? LOL. They did, but not anymore. Even their newest phones don't have boom sound anymore. Lucky I experienced it as I had an HTC One M7.

Samsung occulus? That's VR. Is it innovative? Maybe. When the last time you see someone using it? We are talking about phones by the way.

Ah the good old charging while listening to audio argument. Well, you don't have an iPhone 7 right? But that doesn't mean most people follow your specific requirement. Clearly it doesn't stop people from buying iPhone 7.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 68040
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
It's not going to happen that way. It will be the susceptible Android platform that will allow installation and then easy control. Again, that's a fact, not an opinion. Apple has an advantage by controlling the entire ecosystem of hardware, including chip design, software and services, such as the App store.

Moreover, Google's entire system is designed to capture your information and centralize it outside of your control. That's an inherent vulnerability that you can't overcome if you choose to use Google's "free" services. For example, follow along in the following, assume someone was interested in you, for whatever reason, let's say you were a dissident/activist, or a friend of one, or you had a job in tech where you had access to some sensitive information or technology and there was an interest in recruiting you via blackmail, or an authoritarian government now or in the future wanted to identify potential enemies, etc., then think what a tremendous advantage it would be to that government, or intel agency or hackers, etc., that you are an avid user of Google/Android platform where:

someone has scanned and stored every email you've ever written or received,
has a record of everywhere you have ever driven or stopped and how long you've spent there,
has a copy of every document you've ever uploaded,
has a copy of every photograph you've ever taken or received
has a record of every search you've done
has a record of every website you've visited and what you've clicked on
has a copy of every social media post you've read or made or liked
has a record of everything you've said in front of Google Assistant
has a record of every podcast, song, etc., you've listened to and comments made
knows every book, magazine, news article you've read
knows every movie you've ever watched
has a record of every purchase you've made.
etc., etc., etc., all stored in essence in a master file on you.

Pretty frightening isn't it to think how that information might be used in the future against you or a member of your family. The East German Stasi, or Soviet KGB could hardly have dreamed of such a gold mine of information that they didn't need to assemble, but was done voluntarily by the populace.Google relies on heavy donations to politicians to ensure that "opt in" laws, etc., are never adopted as they would soon be in financial jeopardy were folks ever to wake up to what they are doing. For example, I've never met anyone who wasn't shocked to learn that every email they are sent or receive via Gmail is scanned and stored by Google forever. I've never met anyone who wasn't shocked to learn that Google assigns you a "universal identifying number" that is used to link all of the above information about you into a master dossier. People aren't aware that when they use Google photos they give Google in essence a worldwide license to use the photos forever. Sad indeed.

Be glad that you have the option of using Apple products. With Apple, not only are you not the product, but they have a corporate focus and branding effort around privacy and security.
And you don't think Apple hasn't stored anything on you? Hahahahahahahahaha!

Reactions: big-ted