Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
As a professor, I'm kind of unsettled by the suggestion in the first video that students record classes. Our institution has a policy about that — namely, it's not to be done unless it's part of an established accommodation for a student, or otherwise with permission.
[doublepost=1488584639][/doublepost]
Don't be one of those nut job professors. Your voice enters the public record when your words leave your mouth. Under that logic, any student taking notes based on what you said is breaking the law, too. ::rolls eyes::

I don't know what kind of work you do, but do you expect that your professional conversations are recorded without your knowledge or permission?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Not to bad, but I can see the patten between the Mac vs PC ad's and these..

I suppose how else would u show off an iPad Pro features.

FatherJack1980

Suspended
Dec 31, 2015
I know there are going to be people that like these ads, but some are just horrible.

I have been seeing the MS word one a lot lately, that one is just stupid. Does this type of advertising work on people? Who is the demographic they are going for?

Also, the ridiculous "the iPad doesn't get PC Viruses" statement. The iPad also doesn't get Mac Viruses, or the bird flu, or STDs.

Again, who is the target audience for these ads?

Well, the iPad Pro hasn't met me yet :p - I'll give 'er all the stds that are know to man ;)

creepy-smile-o.gif

As for who the target audience is - why, of course the ones looking for a computer as well as those that find SD cards to be cumbersome in laptops; and yes, I'm being sarcastic about the Apple idiocy lately. I don't know what they were smoking when they stated that the iPad Pro was a "ultimate PC replacement", that SD cards were "cumbersome" or that over five year old [Windows] PCs were "sad".

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3046...ller-ipad-pro-as-ultimate-pc-replacement.html

https://wn.com/phil_schiller_says_sd_cards_are_cumbersome

Sure seems like Apple is being run by the animals in the zoo nowadays

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandstorm

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I know there are going to be people that like these ads, but some are just horrible.

I have been seeing the MS word one a lot lately, that one is just stupid. Does this type of advertising work on people? Who is the demographic they are going for?

Also, the ridiculous "the iPad doesn't get PC Viruses" statement. The iPad also doesn't get Mac Viruses, or the bird flu, or STDs.

Yah, I think they are targeting the typical American.

(ducks!) :p:D

Reactions: Pufichek and rp2011

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
As a professor, I'm kind of unsettled by the suggestion in the first video that students record classes. Our institution has a policy about that — namely, it's not to be done unless it's part of an established accommodation for a student, or otherwise with permission.

I don't know what kind of work you do, but do you expect that your professional conversations are recorded without your knowledge or permission?

Wow, times have changed. When I was in college in the 90's many recorded classes with one of those microcassette recorders. Don't remember much stink about it then.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
It feels like Apple is trying to put a square peg through a round hole. This whole campaign to make the iPad Pro a computer replacement is just not resonating with me at all. It's a table. A table is primarily a media consumption device. I cannot image doing any serious productive work on it.

Just my two cents.
[doublepost=1488592559][/doublepost]
Can confirm that taking notes in Notability with the Apple Pencil is great. Whenever I'm in a meeting I'll record it while writing notes. Then later if I forget what specifically was said, I can listen to the recording and it'll tell me what I was writing at the time. Makes my managers a lot more impressed that I never forget things ;)

You should try it with the Surface Pro 4. The main difference is that when you get back to your desk from note taking at the meeting you don't have to change devices. You still have a full powered computer to work with. I actually take hand notes as well. It's a great device.
[doublepost=1488593012][/doublepost]

I went to grad school many years ago and even then it wasn't uncommon for students to record parts of the lecture. I've done it many times. Back then I had used Word on a MacBook, which had an awesome notebook feature. It allowed you to record and tag the recording with a title. You could skip to a specific part. All within the written pages you had with tabs on the right hand side for different classes or subjects. It was really great and especially helpful when complex topics were being discussed. To my knowledge, no one ever used class recordings for any purposes other than to study. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
[doublepost=1488593177][/doublepost]
Well, the iPad Pro hasn't met me yet :p

creepy-smile-o.gif

As for who the target audience is - why, of course the ones looking for a computer as well as those that find SD cards to be cumbersome in laptops; and yes, I'm being sarcastic about the Apple idiocy lately. I don't know what they were smoking when they stated that the iPad Pro was a "ultimate PC replacement", that SD cards were "cumbersome" or that over five year old [Windows] PCs were "sad".

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3046...ller-ipad-pro-as-ultimate-pc-replacement.html

https://wn.com/phil_schiller_says_sd_cards_are_cumbersome

I was shocked, I tell you, shocked when I learned that Apple released a brand new Macbook Pro recently with the obsolete, useless technology that is the headphone jack. I mean, that is what they said it was when they launched the new iPhone. Absolutely scandalous!

Reactions: Sandstorm

amajoh

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2016
Y'all may not like the ads, but I literally just went out and bought an apple pencil and the Notability app for my ipad pro because of that first one. The fact that I can write on my slides and record lecture from the same app is going to make my life so much easier.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
OneNote records the audio but also keeps track of what you were writing when it was said so you can line them up, as well as search for words in the audio portion.

I think it's overall a better note-taking experience.
I love OneNote, but had to give it up. In iOS you can't export the entire notebook in PDF format. One page at a time just won't do. I'm now bouncing between GoodNotes and Notability.

BoltmanLives

Suspended
Feb 10, 2017
I love OneNote, but had to give it up. In iOS you can't export the entire notebook in PDF format. One page at a time just won't do. I'm now bouncing between GoodNotes and Notability.
Sad ios compromise, next it'll be I love Office 365 but had to go to pages , numbers and keynote sort of brutal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Altis

rippley5150

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2015
Sterling VA
I just wish they would release the new iPads already. My iPad mini is really showing its age. I don't think I would do anything that the ads showed. Then again not having to get out my Wacom tablet to create things might be more time saving. I can't play Real Racing 3 on my MacBook so there is always that distraction on an iPad lol

AronDraws

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2014
Burbank, CA
The iPad and iPhone cameras actually do a rather good job replacing a scanner; if the lighting of the room is good at the time of the picture. It helps if you have one of the many 'scanner' apps that are currently available (some of them are free).
How they can brag this of the iPad Pro though is beyond me.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

My guess is - existing PC users (by which I mean people using a conventional computer, be it a desktop or laptop running windows or macOS) who might not yet be aware of the full capabilities of an iPad. Apple likely wants them to re-evaluate their workflow and ask themselves if they really need a full-fledged PC for what they do, or if an iPad might be a better fit.
[doublepost=1488605798][/doublepost]
Replaces scanner??? the camera on my ipad pro 12.9 is craaaaaap. Absolutely cannot replace a scanner.
I have been scanning documents with my iPad since it sported a 5mp camera (the iPad 3) and I find the quality good enough to be useable. Sure, nothing beats a dedicated scanner in terms of quality, but the fallacy in your argument here is assuming that people care only about absolute scanning quality and not other factors such as convenience and accessibility.

If I have a hardcopy of a tutorial worksheet in front of me, I could readily scan it with Scanner Pro on my iPad and import it into Notability on the spot, then proceed to annotate on it with my Apple Pencil. No need to wait until I am home to do so.
[doublepost=1488605933][/doublepost]
It feels like Apple is trying to put a square peg through a round hole. This whole campaign to make the iPad Pro a computer replacement is just not resonating with me at all. It's a table. A table is primarily a media consumption device. I cannot image doing any serious productive work on it.

Just my two cents.
So you are blaming Apple for your own lack of imagination?

Many studies have shown that people remember the information longer when they have written the notes as opposed to typing. It has to do with Kinesthetic learning.
I find that it's the same for me whether I type or write down my notes. What really helps in my learning is the paraphrasing bit, where the process of rewording what I have heard or seen helps me create my own meaning in the lesson.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeremiah256

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I'm unsettled by the fact that a professor is somehow unaware that students have been recording lectures since the advent of the portable tape recorder. And also that a professor would use "apple_iBoy" as a screen name.

https://www.jisc.ac.uk/guides/recording-lectures-legal-considerations

Why not just do some research and realise these is a big legal consideration between audio and video ?
[doublepost=1488607466][/doublepost]
So you are blaming Apple for your own lack of imagination?

Sorry that made me laugh. When I do "work" actual "work" a screwdriver can be used as a hammer if I use my imagination, but come on....right tool for the job . Imagination as an excuse ... heck just jump straight to faith ;)

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Very funny I like them
Welcome to the illiterate tech herd that this "almost computer" makes feel Pro.
Selfiestick is fragile and expensive, so that must be Pro.
Similar budget as a laptop. So really Pro.
Because Tim says so.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.