Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As we'd previously reported, Apple appears to be preparing to unveil the new 5th Avenue Retail Store for Friday.

MacRumors reader Will submitted this photo which shows construction workers starting to remove part of the white covering from the store's new glass panes.

5thAveAppleStore.jpg

Apple's $6.6 million renovation started back in June and involved replacing the cube's 90 glass panels (Photo of old design) with a much simpler 15 glass panel design (Artist rendition).

Will reports that today they've torn away much of the white covering along the bottom of the store. This area remains hidden from the street level view due to the surrounding construction barriers. Workers have been power-washing the ground, presumably in preparation for the grand unveiling.

We'll post more photos as we get them, readers can submit photos to us via email.

As noted on Apple's 5th Avenue Retail page, the store will be closed from 10pm to 10am:
We'll be closed starting at 10:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 3 and will reopen at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, November 4.

Thanks Dries​

20111103-235030-500x722.jpg

Photo by ElevatorView.com

Article Link: Apple to Unveil New 5th Avenue Apple Store at 10am Friday

z3r0inc

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2009
What's with all the secrecy about this? They've already told us what they're planning and we can all imagine what its going to look like... unless...

...the eye of Sauron has been built in!

Last edited:

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
lol What if that's the finished cube with the white on it.

Also, I don't think there's a single store in Florida that has multiple levels...Florida is really populated - we need a flagship store here (or at least a bigger store with multiple levels that is somewhat flagship)!

I mean, Japan has at least 3 or so stores with the glass staircases.

androidfan

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
Soon to be the Android store :D

Apple is slipping with all of these products that have so many bugs, they need to stop wasting money on stores and start building better products

muckydoggy1

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2008
poor.

Why spend millions of dollars renovating a relatively new landmark into practically the same Architecturally dull glass box?
The previous design looked better as it had presence, this one blends too much into the background.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

Apple is slipping with all of these products that have so many bugs, they need to stop wasting money on stores and start building better products

Yup, if they saved that $6.6 million then all those terrible Apple products that all those dopey people own would be perfect - just like all those perfect other brands.

Yup, those terrible products sure don't sell, and all those silly stores have nothing to do with the stock closing today at $403.07.

Yup, no money left over in Apple's coffers after spending all that money on those stores.

Yup...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

mzeb

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Big Glass

Anyone know the dimensions of the new panes (or the store so we can calculate)?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I'm surprised Apple didn't change the sidewalk while they were at it.

There are still 6 panels of sidewalk per side, so every other joint between sidewalk panels doesn't have a corresponding joint with the glass panels.

rowley

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
London, UK
Pardon my ignorance, but I presume the store is actually underground, and this is the "ground floor" ?
Having never been to the store, I no not of such things.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Pardon my ignorance, but I presume the store is actually underground, and this is the "ground floor" ?

yes, the store is underground

Attachments

• fifthavenue_gallery_image4.jpg
    fifthavenue_gallery_image4.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,837

muckydoggy1

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2008
I'm surprised Apple didn't change the sidewalk while they were at it.

There are still 6 panels of sidewalk per side, so every other joint between sidewalk panels doesn't have a corresponding joint with the glass panels.

That would take some actual insight from Apple. Don't ask them to do too much, they're busy 'revolutionizing' so many other aspects of our lives.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
Correct, the glass bit is the ground level entrance.

kipj77

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
Android Store? Wow

What phone would they sell there? HTC? Samsung? Motorola? Nokia? Sony Ericson? Hauwei? LG? Acer? Texas Instruments? Mattell? Fisher Price?

Android is more fragmented than a whole beach worth of sand is.

There's a new android phone released more often than there is a robbery in Compton.

They couldn't have a store.

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
That would take some actual insight from Apple. Don't ask them to do too much, they're busy 'revolutionizing' so many other aspects of our lives.

They have replaced the sidewalk in front of at least one other store to match the design. Then again you really don't care about that, you just wanted to be negative didn't you?

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

There already is an Android store. It's called WalMart, Radio Shack, Verizon food court kiosks, or Dollar General.

----------

Before Apple opened in this space, what was there, and how was it accessed?

A building, and through a door.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.