Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Apple TV will you get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Am I crazy for thinking about getting one of these just for the 802.11ac capability? I mostly use my current apple tv for netflix and airplay but I don't have it wired with ethernet and sometimes it gets stuck on a really low connection speed (I've seen it as low as 1mbps connection speed with excellent signal in the airport app) and I have to hard power it down to get it to reconnect at 65mbps.
I'd first try to do a channel survey on a computer and change the channel of your access point as far away as possible from other strong hotpots in your neighborhood. Wifi is so common these days that interference can become a real problem.

Reactions: scapegoat81

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
I love how apple hasn't given a time when these will be available. So I'll just have to randomly check on Monday to see when it pops up

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I love how apple hasn't given a time when these will be available. So I'll just have to randomly check on Monday to see when it pops up

My guess would be they will go up for preorder around 1pm eastern. That's usually what happens when the do silent refreshes of hardware. The store will go down and come up with new hardware. This is nowhere near as big of a launch as an iPhone so I don't see them opening preorders at midnight PST.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Yeah, unless I hear something here in the next couple days, I'm just gonna get up Monday morning a little earlier than usual and order whenever. I'm not gonna stay up until midnight or 1 a.m. frenzy for an ATV.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Am I crazy for thinking about getting one of these just for the 802.11ac capability? I mostly use my current apple tv for netflix and airplay but I don't have it wired with ethernet and sometimes it gets stuck on a really low connection speed (I've seen it as low as 1mbps connection speed with excellent signal in the airport app) and I have to hard power it down to get it to reconnect at 65mbps.

Not at all. That is a huge perk.

jermy4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
I'd first try to do a channel survey on a computer and change the channel of your access point as far away as possible from other strong hotpots in your neighborhood. Wifi is so common these days that interference can become a real problem.
It's not interference, I don't really live in a densely populated area and the apple tv is only 1 room over from my airport extreme. This signal is always excellent but it seems to occasionally lock in at a ridiculously low connection rate every now and then and I have no idea why. The only reason I start noticing it is because sometimes netflix streaming buffers a lot and looks like crap and I check the airport app on the phone and see that it's connected at a really low speed. I can either restart my airport extreme or power cycle the apple tv and it comes back at full speed with "excellent" signal.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
It's not interference, I don't really live in a densely populated area and the apple tv is only 1 room over from my airport extreme. This signal is always excellent but it seems to occasionally lock in at a ridiculously low connection rate every now and then and I have no idea why.
If it only happens occasionally I'd still say that interference is the most likely cause. It could be another source, such as a microwave or similar. I'd try changing the channel anyway.

jermy4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
If it only happens occasionally I'd still say that interference is the most likely cause. It could be another source, such as a microwave or similar. I'd try changing the channel anyway.
It hasn't happened in probably 2 or 3 months so I'm not going to mess with it now. I have in the past done channel scans and set my router accordingly.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
It hasn't happened in probably 2 or 3 months so I'm not going to mess with it now. I have in the past done channel scans and set my router accordingly.
Are you using the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band? 5GHz often works better, since there is a lot less chance of interference than in the ISM band (which is also used for many other things besides Wifi). The downside is that it doesn't traverse walls as easily though.

jermy4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Are you using the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band? 5GHz often works better, since there is a lot less chance of interference than in the ISM band (which is also used for many other things besides Wifi). The downside is that it doesn't traverse walls as easily though.
Both are turned on but I'm not sure which one the apple tv is connecting to.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Both are turned on but I'm not sure which one the apple tv is connecting to.
Do you not know because they have the same SSID? If so, change the 5ghz to a difference name. Even so, sometime 2.4 works better thru walls. You have to do speed tests from different locations in you house.

jermy4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Do you not know because they have the same SSID? If so, change the 5ghz to a difference name. Even so, sometime 2.4 works better thru walls. You have to do speed tests from different locations in you house.
Yes, they have the same name and I don't really want to have different names for 2.4 and 5ghz.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I'm going 64gb. I don't know if I will need it. In fact I doubt I will. But I do game occasionally and if this takes off as that sort of device, that might chew through my storage space.

But I'm not sure. I will probably end up buying two of them or at least buying next generation and kick this generation from the living room to the bedroom. I know I won't need full storage in both versions. So I could go 32gb with the expectation that before that becomes a constraining issue this device will get relegated to a less used TV.

playaproved

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
I'm going 64gb. I don't know if I will need it. In fact I doubt I will. But I do game occasionally and if this takes off as that sort of device, that might chew through my storage space.

But I'm not sure. I will probably end up buying two of them or at least buying next generation and kick this generation from the living room to the bedroom. I know I won't need full storage in both versions. So I could go 32gb with the expectation that before that becomes a constraining issue this device will get relegated to a less used TV.

I'm following a similar thought process. I'm getting 64GB for my main TV and if I end up liking the new device enough, I'll probably grab a 32GB for my bedroom.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
Pre-orders for the new Apple TV 4 start Monday, October 26th. What configuration will you be ordering, and let us know your order time once the 26th rolls around! Happy pre-ordering!

P.s personally I'm getting the 64 gb, can't go wrong with too much storage!

Not sure what the extra memory is for. IF it is for movie downloads ahead of time, so that there is NO SPOOLING on playback, I'll be up at the head of the line when it comes out. IF it's only for some crappy games, I probably will stick with my ATV3.

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
It's not interference, I don't really live in a densely populated area and the apple tv is only 1 room over from my airport extreme. This signal is always excellent but it seems to occasionally lock in at a ridiculously low connection rate every now and then and I have no idea why. The only reason I start noticing it is because sometimes netflix streaming buffers a lot and looks like crap and I check the airport app on the phone and see that it's connected at a really low speed. I can either restart my airport extreme or power cycle the apple tv and it comes back at full speed with "excellent" signal.

My guess is that it's falling back on 2.4 for some reason. In the AirPort extreme you can make the 2.4 and 5 ghz two different SSID's and then only associate the aTV with the 5ghz signal. I would still look for interference in 2.4 which can be coming from a whole host of other devices like cordless phones and baby monitors, but splitting the network will improve the odds of having a strong ( or no ) signal.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
Always love reading these "hmm I can't decide" threads, and then on pre-order day an overwhelming number of orders for the max configs sells out right away.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Always love reading these "hmm I can't decide" threads, and then on pre-order day an overwhelming number of orders for the max configs sells out right away.

Yeah that always seems to be the case. It does make sense though.

If I didn't get a developer kit I would definitely have gone for the 64 gig. It's always better to have too much than too little. Saying that I am thinking I might get a 64 for in the living room and keep the dev kit in the office rather than having to take one between places. That way the wife can still use one as well if I'm needing it for work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.