Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aylk

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
Good about the headphone adapter. It looks so silly and wireless are overall more convenient. I do not miss the tangle at all, especially in the winter with coats.

USBA doesn't make sense at first, but then again people would complain they need to use an adapter or buy another cable for USBC to A.
If you're into Apple you're going to need adapters. When you work at a large IT department you quickly realize that adapters are one of their main revenue sources.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Not only is the adapter gone, but the same 5W charger and USB-A cable at the same price as last year's model (and $100 more for the Plus model).

The rumors set us up for disappointment this year.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Why would they? They want to sell more AirPods! I usually never criticize Apple but this is just a disgrace! I was even one of the few that actually loved the TB MBP from the beginning keyboard and all.

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
...and of course the Apple devotees will excuse this.
They will come up with some reason why this is best for us all.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Look the phones are so inexpensive Apple cant afford to include the 3.5mm adapter cable anymore.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I'm guessing that the next one won't have a standard charger since they'll just assume everyone is using their wireless chargers. Which, in my case, is totally accurate. The only thing I use the cable for is Carplay.

I've never used the jack adapter either. I wonder how many people use it.

Probably not a lot since most folks go wireless or use the earphones that come with the iPhone.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
With the power of Apple branding they should be charging $2K minimum so $1.5K for the max is cheap.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Yeah, amen! I hate it when companies keep including stuff that they included before. I want to have to pay extra to buy one separately!

I won't be paying a cent extra. It's unneeded. It comes with headphones that work perfectly and I have several wireless models I can also use. Why would I want to legacy dongle? it's waste for most people. But it gives the negative nellies and apple haters something to crow about

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
It looks so silly and wireless are overall more convenient.
Not when you forget to charge it, or the signal drops out occasionally for seemingly no reason. I've experienced both these frustrations with the AirPods at some point, though I agree that going wireless has some benefits as well.

Reactions: tonyr6

richmondhill

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2015
Here come the inane comments from people using 1950s technology.
Which still works, works with everything else on the planet including...oh, Apple's own computers and iPads. But that's okay, it's a free market, and people will register their vote accordingly. Judging by Apple's top and bottom lines the last few years, they already are.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Not when you forget to charge it, or the signal drops out occasionally for seemingly no reason. I've experienced both these frustrations with the AirPods at some point, though I agree that going wireless has some benefits as well.

I've only had my Beats X dropout maybe 3 times since I got them back when the 7 Plus came out. Once and a while I may forget to charge them but they charge so quickly. I can usually charge them for about 5 minutes before heading out of work and they last my subway ride home.

Not being tethered to my phone makes it worth it for me.

Plus I can walk around at home on a call and leave my phone in the other room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.