Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
In my opinion, the big 2 insiniuates more than a spec upgrade. Apple never gave their babies new names unless they had some big improvements (iPhone 3G->iPhone 3GS). Same with firmwares (3.2->4.0 etc.).

Also, the event will be all about iPad 2. How can they fill time with saying "And now, one more thing: 512 MB RAM!!!"

The iPhone 3GS did not really get much time in the event, just some screenshots, data and not much of a hype. Same with upgraded MacBooks and stuff - they are not the main thing of an event

We will see a Ipad 2 and a a preview of IOS5...

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

More likely you can stream from a home computer over the web.

This is what I would think.

tillathenun

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
Kent, UK
Why would the media be shown a preview of ios 5 is it not usually the developers get the heads up in a dev event?

I imagine they'd release the developer preview, show it tomorrow on the iPad 2 and say it'll be a free upgrade in a couple of months?

allamoureux07

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
If they had plans to release an iPad 3 so soon after the iPad 2, why even release the iPad 2 at all? Apple is still selling iPads like hotcakes, and it doesn't make sense to put something out there knowing it's not up to par with what is excepted/wanted by Jobs.

fahadqureshi

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2009
Houston, TX
The Apple staffer declined to give details about the iPad 2 or 3, but said:

"For the iPad 2 don't get your hopes up too high. That's all I'm going to say. They've had a number of problems along the way, and the third-generation iPad is the one to make a song and a dance about."

What a kill joy this Apple staffer

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
I agree with your entire post - however, why would Apple openly tell people that they will be releasing a new product in 6 months? That's like saying directly, "your $500 iPad WILL be old technology, and this is why."

Again, seems very un-Apple-esque.

I agree it wouldn't make sense. But if Apple didn't have enough time to differentiate the iPad from the competition coming out perhaps they might feel the need to tell everybody that they have more improvements for the iPad planned for later this year?

Six months is a long time in the technology world so I'm sure plenty of people would still buy the iPad 2 with its cameras and other improvements and Apple knows it.

But once again I admit that it would be very un–Apple–like. On the other hand it seems kind of risky to me to release only a spec–bump update then wait another whole year to release an iPad that might actually be equivalent to, or surpass, the competition.

This has to be one of the most difficult Apple announcements to predict in recent years and I wouldn't be surprised if everybody's wrong. :)

-PN

Mausse

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
An Apple staffer talking about the iPad3? I say bull.
I can't imagine they would have a special event tomorrow only to show a slightly improved iPad2.

You don't? Remember the Iphone 3GS ? slighty improved iphone...

Dooger

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
What are the odds that they don't put a camera in? Maybe the difficulties described by the employee are to do with the camera and they're waiting til iPad 3 in the autumn? Just sayin.

genosseinski

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
I don't see what the problem would be- I can almost stream from the cloud with my dropbox account as it is... as long as itunes can read a library from any folder... I don't see what this huge jump is to a cloud based service... seem like it could be implemented right now.

The problem is storage - let's say 40 GB of Libraries PER USER x a lot of users + traffic is even in today's time quite a lot of server space - no free provider in the world provides that much of free space (Dropbox: 1 GB, Gmail: 7 GB etc.)

FoxMcCloud

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Redcar, England
I reckon they'll switch on the ability to see what you have purchased from the iTunes store, like with the purchased tab from Mac App Store.

As such, when you log in to iTunes on Mac or iOS you can see what you have purchased and choose to either stream or download said items.

Like Amazon or Steam etc

At the moment in order to see if you have bought something before you have to navigate through the store and find the app/music/video you want, click buy and prey to god you don't get billed.

Unless I'm wrong of course.

LondonCentral

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
I LOVE IT.

All of the earlier adopters were REWARDED and got to use an awesome product for almost a year now. If they sold, they got BIG MONEY for it, and essentially it costs them a few cents a day to use a cutting edge piece of equipment. You waited for nothing. You get minor updates, and you've MISSED OUT using a great product.

Go ahead and buy though.

Then when iPad 3 launches, iPad 1 adopters WIN AGAIN, and upgrade then.

Exactly how it should be.

(relax, i'm 10% kidding)

And then there are people like myself, who don't actually want an iPad, let alone need one.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
One good thing I've seen this year out of consumers is a much lower expectation of what the iPad 2 will bring than I've seen in the past. So, hopefully the expectations will now line up with what actually happens. In the past, everyone has usually been WAY too optimistic.

Tony

allamoureux07

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
I agree it wouldn't make sense. But if Apple didn't have enough time to differentiate the iPad from the competition coming out perhaps they might feel the need to tell everybody that they have more improvements for the iPad planned for later this year?

Six months is a long time in the technology world so I'm sure plenty of people would still buy the iPad 2 with its cameras and other improvements and Apple knows it.

But once again I admit that it would be very un–Apple–like. On the other hand it seems kind of risky to me to release only a spec–bump update then wait another whole year to release an iPad that might actually be equivalent to, or surpass, the competition.

This has to be one of the most difficult Apple announcements to predict in recent years and I wouldn't be surprised if everybody's wrong. :)

-PN

Here's to hoping everyone's wrong.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
A hybrid local + cloud system

I believe that Apple will offer a hybrid system:

1) iTunes purchases available from anywhere to any Mac or iOS device without local storage necessary.

• This would satisfy the labels and studios because it wouldn't allow users to potentially benefit from improving the use of pirated material
  • It would fortify Apple's position in media sales because it would encourage people to buy from iTunes
  • iTunes sales would increase exponentially, justifying offering Me.com for free
  • This system would eliminate the need for Apple's responsibility for upload bandwidth, only streaming downloads from items that are already stored on iTunes servers

2) Other non-iTunes media would still be stored locally on a Mac or PC in iTunes' database but Me.com would facilitate streaming from your iTunes to any other Mac or iOS device.

I think this system would satisfy most people:

• You get to have access to all your media -- iTunes and non-iTunes -- on all your devices anywhere you are.
  • iTunes content staying on the server means no need to manage large file libraries (option to download to your HDD if you wish)
  • Free Me.com

The only compromise is that non-iTunes content would mean that you have to have iTunes running at home. I think this is a fair compromise. Maybe you can pay for server space to upload your non-iTunes content but perhaps it's better to just purchase your content on iTunes instead.

Coukos34

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
I LOVE IT.

All of the earlier adopters were REWARDED and got to use an awesome product for almost a year now. If they sold, they got BIG MONEY for it, and essentially it costs them a few cents a day to use a cutting edge piece of equipment. You waited for nothing. You get minor updates, and you've MISSED OUT using a great product.

Go ahead and buy though.

Then when iPad 3 launches, iPad 1 adopters WIN AGAIN, and upgrade then.

Exactly how it should be.

(relax, i'm 10% kidding)

And you 100% posted this before :rolleyes:

I sold my launch iPad, and got good money for it, but feel bad that Apple would consider launching a third version in the same calendar year. I hope that is not true

Last edited:

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Mobile Me in the Cloud

Isn't this whole Mobile Me in the Cloud thing going to be more of an exercise in digital rights management rather than raw brute data storage?

You just need One master file of a new Beyoncé song and then you can just keep track of the number of iTunes users who bought it.

If they have a record in the purchased or owners table then they can have access to re-download the song from that one Master Beyoncé song file.

You don't need to keep separate copies for every IPod owner out there.
That would be an incredibly inefficient way to do it.

Maybe the only thing they would have to keep is non purchased MP3 files.

What do you think?

allamoureux07

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
One good thing I've seen this year out of consumers is a much lower expectation of what the iPad 2 will bring than I've seen in the past. So, hopefully the expectations will now line up with what actually happens. In the past, everyone has usually been WAY too optimistic.

Tony

I'm hoping Apple surprises us like they did with iPhone 4 - retina display, HD video. Nobody was expecting those.

FoxMcCloud

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Redcar, England
Isn't this whole Mobile Me in the Cloud thing going to be more of an exercise in digital rights management rather than raw brute data storage?

You just need One master file of a new Beyoncé song and then you can just keep track of the number of iTunes users who bought it.

If they have a record in the purchased or owners table then they can have access to re-download the song from that one Master Beyoncé song file.

You don't need to keep separate copies for every IPod owner out there.
That would be an incredibly inefficient way to do it.

Maybe the only thing they would have to keep is non purchased MP3 files.

What do you think?

Exactly.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I'm hoping Apple surprises us like they did with iPhone 4 - retina display, HD video. Nobody was expecting those.

I'm pretty sure both of those were expected from leaks. We knew what the resolution of the screen was, just not how good it looked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.