Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aibo82

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Takeo said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

6 million to cancer research and aids charity's ? Hmmm no we buy more glass!

You could say that about anything.

True... But not everyone has 60 billion o throw around with that they have the power to truely change life's not make the ones of heathy people better!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Well quite honestly - that was never going to happen. Steve wasn't very philanthropic with money.

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
Squirrel Away For Future Reference:

If you want to attract the trolls in full force, post an article about how Apple made a cool store even cooler.

"Does not serve any purpose! ARGH!"

Remember when these forums were full of Apple fans?

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
So these pictures need to be re-taken.....my visit summer 2010 with family.

NYC, c u in 2012!

IMG_8877.jpg

btw - are they re-doing the inside stairs also?
IMG_8920.jpg

Cg313

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Yes, I can see a difference. But I suppose some of us are just asking why (in a supposed recession), there was the need to do so? Anybody else following the G20 IMF fiasco....?

I am guessing that if the average person walked by, who visited a few months earlier and did not see the construction process, they would not even notice or care.

A little bit like you looking at the perfectly good roof on your house and deciding that you should change it for the same colour roof tiles, just slightly different size ones.

I go to an Apple store to look at all the 'shiny stuff' inside, I do not pay too much attention to the exteriors or interiors, as they are all pretty much the same.

Never visited this particular store, but would hazard a guess it was never a 'dive' in the first place....:rolleyes:

Why?

Send apple a resume, maybe theyll hire you as the CFO because they clearly have no idea what they're doing.

paulfj

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2011

Are you being serious? Following that line of reasoning, I hope you're not taking any vacations, buying any Apple products or any other new technology, eating out, or doing any thing else not entirely necessary for your continued existence. That way you can donate more to cancer research. And regarding AIDS, I think a little research will uncover he's donated millions to fighting AIDS in Africa.

Doug183

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
Very Steve Jobs and a fitting epitaph. Really not that different functionally, but completely more elegant and beautiful stylishly.

Cg313

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Well quite honestly - that was never going to happen. Steve wasn't very philanthropic with money.

They've made so much progress with cancer and aids research over the last 50 years.

Charity is the best way to make a problem to away.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Please explain to me how spending $6M on a new structure that is marginally different from the previous is somehow going to make Apple a better company?

A waste of money, if you ask me.

That's how Apple started and became successful, by reiterating on very small details for months and months, pouring a lot of money into stuff like that.

It doesn't just make Apple a better company. This is how Apple came to exist in the first place.

CalWizrd

Suspended
Jun 21, 2011
NYC/Raleigh, NC
I'm surprised that SJ and the board settled so easily on appointing Tim Cook to be the next Apple CEO. One need only read some of the brain dead posts on MacRumors to find a veritable plethora of people who have a keen insight into how Apple should be operated.

tylerk36

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
Same exact pictures on Apple Insider. Almost the same article as well. Wonder if these pictures are stock photos taken for both Mac Rumors and Apple Insider? :apple:

epox999

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
Uhhh... Sort of the same way windows do.

windows in your house have a frame and layers and seals and moisture barriers etc etc.

I meant more like, there are no frames between these... and the top is a flat horizontal table of glass.... Is the glass fused/glued/melted together? I picture a foot of snow sitting on top of this in winter.

Any NYC apple store workers/customers out there?

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
So why are there all those panels?

Seems silly to waste 6 million dollars when there are still panels and dividers. The obvious final goal is 1 single piece of glass for the entire thing.

Bodypainter

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
To me it actually looks LESS impressive now :-( would have been nicer to make a 3x3 glass matrix on every side.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I really like the design of the old cube. This will probably grow on me though.

I just feel like the old cube had a very distinguished look, even with all the hardware in it and little fixtures surrounding it. It looked amazing still.

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
i think it looks nice and clean, but for how much they spent...serious waste of money....did they remodel the actual store too or just the cube?

Serious waste of money is right. Six million dollars? That kind of money could have gone to any number of worthy charities. Glad to see Tim Cook implementing and embracing a new direction, setting up charitable giving programs at Apple, which have not previously existed.

JAYnLA

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
Los Angeles
Excess.

Yep. Personally, I like the original a bit better -- but spending 6M on this right now? I know 'they have it', but it's just a little obnoxious at this point in our history. Tacky, tacky, tacky.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
All you people saying $6m, SOOOOO much money, SUCH a waste of money, better things could have been done with it...really? Hmmm, how about all the jobs that work created? How about all the tax revenue, both state and federal, parts of which went to welfare, schools oh and yeah MEDICAL RESEARCH. Sure, not alot of it, a percentage of a percentage, but still something. And then how about all the jobs the income of those workers, the state and federal tax money went on to create, the money they spent in other industries, from the bagle the workers had for breakfast and associated salaries for those workers and MORE tax money all the way down the line.

Oh and I love the people who blame Tim Cook for this, like he approved it, this redesign was planned well before him.

Oh and $6m is NOTHING, people who think it is, really need to stop looking at things from your income POV and look at the project as a whole, what was done, what things cost today and the fact that it was done on 5th freaking Ave in NYC.

That $6m went a LONG way in THIS economy, much further than any single charity could have done to help pepole who need jobs, esepecially in the construction industry. I haven't even mentioned the tourist dollars and additional sales tax revenue it will generate for the city, state and federal govts all of which in part goes to support the research and charities, yes a small percentage, but still support. And when you add it all up, the jobs, the income tax, the community spending, the tourists, the sales tax down the road and more, that $6m spent will return more than that to the economy than just handing $6m cash to some charity.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
All you people saying $6m, SOOOOO much money, SUCH a waste of money, better things could have been done with it...really? Hmmm, how about all the jobs that work created? How about all the tax revenue, both state and federal, parts of which went to welfare, schools oh and yeah MEDICAL RESEARCH. Sure, not alot of it, a percentage of a percentage, but still something. And then how about all the jobs the income of those workers, the state and federal tax money went on to create, the money they spent in other industries, from the bagle the workers had for breakfast and associated salaries for those workers and MORE tax money all the way down the line.

Oh and I love the people who blame Tim Cook for this, like he approved it, this redesign was planned well before him.

Oh and $6m is NOTHING, people who think it is, really need to stop looking at things from your income POV and look at the project as a whole, what was done, what things cost today and the fact that it was done on 5th freaking Ave in NYC.

That $6m went a LONG way in THIS economy, much further than anyone charity could have done to help pepole who need jobs, esepecially in the construction industry.

Very good point.

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
This is textbook psychology pioneered by the Catholic Church over hundreds of years. Build an impressive and futuristic building (Cathedrals with stained glass windows were awe-inspiring in the middle ages) then the peasants will believe you have either supernatural powers or something worth having and paying money for (religious belief...or an iPhone). The bottom line is that both institutions (the church and Apple) want your money.......and your soul !!
Fair 'nuff. But no Church has ever given me a cool phone in exchange for my money or soul. And with Apple, I don't see any hypocrisy. They obviously want both my money and soul--they don't say that they want to give away my money to good causes and that is why I should give it to them. They simply say, "We'll give you a cool phones (or computer, or music player) for your money and we'll get rich." Much more honest. I believe Apple also pays taxes (something the church does not). And so far, Apple has never tried to scare me by saying that I'll fail some sort of important test and not get into heaven if I don't give them both money and soul :rolleyes:

So, if I'm going to give my money and soul to a "church," I think Apple is a pretty good one to give both to. It always gives me something cool in return, and it never threatens my soul if I withhold that money, nor does it lie about where my money is going. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.