Apple's Plans to Release 5G iPhone in 2020 Could Be Stymied by Intel Delays

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 3, 2019.

1. PickUrPoison macrumors 601

I’m all for wireless backbone, and fixed wireless to increase competition with existing internet providers, but a 5G-capable iPhone isn’t part of that equation. Mobile users will see little tangible benefit from 5G.

2. ani4ani macrumors 6502a

Today yes, but in 5 years time, I doubt it.

3. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Yeah, well this is America, where most citizens have one to two potential cable providers and 2-3 cellular providers. The government isn't going to force them to do anything.

4. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey

yes, it has.

5. dampfnudel macrumors 68040

They’re more interested in getting their shish together with their CPUs. Apple knows that in the future, Intel’s main value to them will be as a backup plan rather than a reliable manufacturing partner.

6. stillnotme macrumors newbie

Hmm, not even close. Apple is a profit *margin* company, not total profit one.

A few bucks here is a profit margin dip there. Multiple that by the (few) squillion iphones they're still selling and it's a great big loss (on an accountants spreadsheet).

Smarter companies sell more at a smaller profit margin for a greater total profit (think: any junk food supplier you like). But, sadly, that's not Apple anymore.

7. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey

qualcomm has alot apple needs, there are a few patents in the iphones alone that apple had to come up with a work around when the german court granted apple violated QC's patents. QC's patent portfolio is so massive that samsung and all modem makers have to pay licensing fees, why you think samsung build its own oxyno processor thn use snapdragon for different market in all the galaxy lineups.

apple choosing intel cause they are in a bind is what landed apple in this mess in the first place.

8. Strokee macrumors member

Illusion and marketing. The average consumer sees “little tangible benefit” from most smartphone functions. They still want them in their phones. iPhones are luxury smartphones. They’re expensive (the most expensive). It may not be an issue in 2019. It may not even be an issue for a good part of 2020. But by the end of 2020 I suspect consumers are going to wonder why they’re paying more to access the last-generation network if they purchase an iPhone. These providers are going to be marketing and promoting 5G networks like crazy. Android device makers are going to be marketing and promoting their 5G devices like crazy. By next year they’re ALL going to be 5G. It will be standard. Will iPhones still be viewed as top-of-the-line? Luxury items?

9. Strokee macrumors member

Jesus Christ, you’re arguing for the sake of arguing.

Marketing: 5G is beginning to roll out now. Marketing will increase A LOT. 5G will be standard in Android phones by 2020. How do you market a phone that doesn’t even meet the standard until nearly 2-years later?

Future-proofing: see above. Christ.

Image: see above. Christ.

10. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

As bean counter as Apple, even one more cent is considered to be way too much.

11. Tech198 macrumors G5

It would be better if Apple could design their own chips. The world would be a better place for Apple (and delays almost eliminated) if Apple did all their own chips.

That's probably less likely to happen.

12. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

5G is standard? Just because it has a huge potential does not mean it is “standard”. Also, if Apple follows, they will have first generation 5G, which means by the time 5G can shake the landscape of mobile network, these first generation phones would probably lack feature or processing power and such to actually take the full advantage of 5G.
    Also, “beginning to roll out now”? Give me a break.

13. pika2000 macrumors 603

Any article talking about 5G as if it’s a total dealbreaker should also show worldwide coverage of 5G in 2020. I don’t get how many people get so turned on with 5G. I’ve yet to experience even full speed 3G/4G.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 3, 2019 ---
    Demand of 5G != demand of smartphone.
    Show me worldwide 5G coverage in 2020 or 2021.

AT&T was right after all, people just want to up their neighbors by having a 5 instead of a 4 on their phones so they can brag about it, regardless actual utility/application of it.

14. PickUrPoison macrumors 601

The same argument could have been (and was) made about how iPhones needed 4G. And 3G to 4G was a huge jump. Apple took something like three years to add it, and the delay had little apparent effect on sales. iPhone buyers aren’t spec chasers. They like iPhone and that’s what they buy when they need/want to buy a new phone.

iPhone users are unlikely to give up their preferred platform just because Apple won’t have a 5G iPhone next year. Some will probably hold off on a planned upgrade, but that just defers sales to a later quarter.

15. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Mac and iPad JUST hit revenue records, so you’re wrong on Mac doing poorly.

You’re also overreacting and generalizing that the entire line of product is flawed because of a few threads on a forum.

Apple sells 300M units of gear and some of them have issues. If apple had a design problem, the issues would never go away and would constantly be in the news. It would be a tsunami of bad news that wouldn’t stop until they recalled the product and fixed it.

The earnings miss was primarily driven by a slowdown in China and was 1 single quarter. In 2018, revenue was up almost 20%. Trailing 12 month revenue in China was still up, despite the miss in Q1. I am confident Apple will turn China around and many other markets like the US, Canada, Germany, Italy Spain, South Korea, Vietnam, and others set records.

16. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey

300m in total? or just in 2018, please show source.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/382302/unit-sales-of-apple-by-product-category/
    this source supports my conclusion pretty strongly.

apple does have a problem with its design for mbp, not one single reviewer or youtube personality would disagree with that, the number of butterfly revision apple has pushed out since 2016 is a strong testament to that. the avg consumer prob is too lazy or don't care enough if one of their keys on the keyboard is not responding well or double typing.

the number of lawsuits and complaints/news media coverage of apple hardware failure is at an all time high. you have to be living under a rock or just straight up don't pay attention if you failed to see that.

the china slowdown argument has been overly magnified, its not the only factor but just one of the factor, only a few month later apple is pushing strong trade in deals to get their Xr out of the door. that is something unprecedented in the history of iphones. apple will face a uphill battle now that trump got the chinese consumers rallying behind huawei phones. apple will not do well in vietnam since their avg income is no where near enough for someone who makes 10k usd a year to justify an iphone purchase, this pattern has been shown in india where apple tried to push into that market but ultimately failed.

17. Intellectua1 Suspended

Intellectua1

18. sog1927 macrumors member

I had Intel do this to me on a major supercomputer procurement for the US government (and not just once, but multiple times). Trust me, with Intel for a friend, you don't need an enemy.

19. travelsheep macrumors 6502

travelsheep

I don't need 5G. With all the controversies around it, and the apparent, global no-need for it, why even bother?

20. ROGmaster Suspended

Irrelevant, those were different times.
    The smartphone market back then was still growing at a fast pace and there were a lot more first time smartphone buyers.

21. Trusteft macrumors 6502a

Trusteft

Wait, wasn't 5G supposed to be the evil of all evils controlled by PRC?

22. ROGmaster, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019

ROGmaster Suspended

I highly doubt it.
    If building the best 5G modem is a matter of having build in the past a great CPU then taking in consideration Intel's experience and R&D budget their modems would be competitive with Qualcomm's and they would have a 5G modem ready this year but they obviously don't.

23. bernuli macrumors 6502a

They definitely won’t.

24. airshu macrumors newbie

5g will take a while to roll out and become fairly standard, which means Apple will probably have it in their phones well before it’s actually useful to anyone

But if 5g is promoted heavily from now, it might be a hard year or two of asking a premium price for a phone that doesn’t already have next years tech.