Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timborama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I can’t think of a reason I’d want to replace my Face ID, especially if they improve the scanning angle. It’s both more secure and more convenient IMO.
Drink the look-aid. Face ID is neither of those. LOL

ovo6

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2015
Apple should only make one big iPhone and normal size if you want a cheaper iPhone get the older models

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I can't see a negative in this. Seems like best of both worlds. Like Face ID? Perfect. Like Touch ID? Perfect. This should be a great thread with no complaining!

I know! But there are many who will blindly follow and preach that whatever Apple is doing at the time is the pinnacle of innovation.

In two years time Apple will sell it to everyone on stage, and those who complain about moving backwards will suddenly see the light.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
What’s funny is Apple already has used both these features before so why is it taking till 2011 to implement both? Lol

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I really can’t see them going backwards like this.

This is not backwards. Touch ID is still faster.

if we are speaking about a really "anywhere" TouchID, I'm ok with that. Current in-display solutions are a joke.

You clearly haven't used all of them. Some are, yes. But others are solid. Will it improve? Absolutely, especially if Apple waits 2 more years to implement it...

I love the option of both. Touch ID is still super fast and better in some scenarios. Face ID will be even better/faster by then, and is great in other scenarios. Though, I'm not a fan of the "touch anywhere" idea. Would lead to false unlockings for sure.

Reactions: gdeusthewhizkid

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
i disagree. it was a real pain pressing the home button while wearing touch gloves, since they changed the nature of the button on the 6s or 7(can't remember). face id does work much better in the winter. at least for me)

I am saying that I don't use touch ID with gloves. I use the password, which is faster than Face ID.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Oh? Can you explain how it is not more secure? How about the convenience of opening an app and having it sign you in automatically? Never had an issue with unlocking my phone using Face ID, in fact its a god send in the winter when I have gloves on.

LOL.
[doublepost=1567696238][/doublepost]
I am saying that I don't use touch ID with gloves. I use the password, which is faster than Face ID.
You must be a very specific case because in no way shape or form is typing in my passcode faster than Face ID. I think the only time I have ever had to type in my passcode is when I first turn my phone on.

Reactions: GuruZac

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099

ok, but what is one supposed to do in the winter months? :)
and although the passcode is faster than face id, it requires you to put it in, while face id usually completes its process by the time i lift the phone up(which is where one would begin to enter the passcode).

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Amazing how much credence people are giving to a sketchy rumor that was started by a publication with a long history of spreading false information to sell magazines.
[doublepost=1567697080][/doublepost]

you may want to actually use it and do a little research before commenting.
[doublepost=1567697196][/doublepost]
MarketWatch calculates the lifetime costs of owning an iPhone at $300,000. Now I am not saying a totally accurate figure but realistically a significant amount of ones budget shifting towards these devices. With all the built in technology, the costs to maintain these devices also on a rapid rise. Add the entertainment and its delivery costs, one has to wonder when will the breaking point be reached.

The consumers are starting to feel the pain. Will see how far Apple can push the prices.

A nonsense figure that even if accurate means nothing. Lots of things add up to a giant dollar amount when viewed over someone’s lifetime.

ItsGavinC

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Apple is so slow other phones already doing this

I'm surprised that many people still don't understand the concept of scale.

Other phones can do it because they sell 3 million phones.

Apple has to obtain the parts and manufacture for 80 million+ phones. So yeah, other phones can do other things because their scale is much smaller.
[doublepost=1567697414][/doublepost]
Apple was slow with fingerprint home button as well. Apple release when the tech is ready, not just to be first. I’m guessing you never used the Motorola atrix fp scanner?

Yes, and not just when the tech is ready, but when they can obtain parts and manufacture the tech in sufficient quantities. They literally have to have 10x the amount of manufacturing capability as every other phone.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
Amazing how much credence people are giving to a sketchy rumor that was started by a publication with a long history of spreading false information to sell magazines.

Please point to Mark Gurmans 'long history of spreading false information to sell magazines'

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
[doublepost=1567697080][/doublepost]

you may want to actually use it and do a little research before commenting.
[doublepost=1567697196][/doublepost]

A nonsense figure that even if accurate means nothing. Lots of things add up to a giant dollar amount when viewed over someone’s lifetime.

I would agree with you if the majority of the US population not in debt up to their eyelids. The total lifetime costs are important. In fact one of the most important financial decisions. This one overlooked aspect why the debt problem. The RV only costs $200 a month, small print, for 15 years. Smaller print, interest doubles the cost.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
Having both is a nice side benefit, but I really like Face ID. The fact that they report it allows a touch anywhere on the screen makes it a bit more appealing. Do current on screen Touch ID implementations allow this?

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Wow so will take another 2-3 years for Apple to do this?? Guess Ill just keep waiting with the X, it's not like the new phones offer anything much anyway.
[doublepost=1567694082][/doublepost]

That figure is rediculous. Time to stop reading marketwatch if that's what they are publishing. They can say that about anything with how they wrote it (i.e. oh if you invested x dollars instead blah blah). How about clothing, you'd save i bet $10 million over the course of your life if you skipped clothing.
Talk about a ridiculous number 10 million. The point, total lifetime costs are important when doing financial planning. Maybe the reason most in the US are in debt and cannot save enough for retirement.

and 4096 others like this

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2018
No other phones have an equivalent to Face ID plus a Touch ID.

Not true. Huawei Mate P20 Pro have 3D (not 2D that most of Android phones use) Facial Recognition. Their system detects 30k dots on face (creating by dot projector), just like iPhone. There were some security issues, but it was software problem solved by update. To be honest Face ID also had worse and better moments (e.g. glass with tape unlock). Huawei have fingerprint scanner as well.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Oh, pleeeease make it a 2020 feature! Not 2021 :(

Well 2020's big thing will be 5G, so Apple will need something else big for 2021 - so there's that.

Besides, as Rene Richie points out, Apple really is on a 4-year hardware form-factor cycle:

4/4S/5/5S, 6/6s/7/8; and now the X (2017) / XS (2018) / 11 (2019) / 11S (2020).

So I'd not expect a new form-factor until 2021, which would build in new resources for a lesser-notch (or notch-less) + integrated TouchID.

Last edited:

Geoko78

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2018
When the tech is ready apple will have my money, until then and the disappearance of the notch its a no no.Great news.

Reactions: MacUser09425

timborama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Oh? Can you explain how it is not more secure? How about the convenience of opening an app and having it sign you in automatically? Never had an issue with unlocking my phone using Face ID, in fact its a god send in the winter when I have gloves on.
I can unlock my brothers Face ID, he can’t unlock my Touch ID. Nuf’ said.

Reactions: phillytim

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
I can unlock my brothers Face ID, he can’t unlock my Touch ID. Nuf’ said.
I believe Apple highlighted this when they announced Face ID... Very very very small circumstance. But at least I can see where you are coming from.

Convenience though? You didn't address that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.