Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
I bought my iPad Pro 10.5 in January 2018 without AppleCare+ (not available in my country). I'm using it for my university degree as a digital notebook with the Apple Pencil. I use the the Smart Keyboard Cover from Apple. other from that, I take care of the device a lot because of its importance for my degree.
It began showing the bright spot after 3 months of normal use. I used the warranty after 11 months of use and had it replaced no questions ask by Apple.
4 months afterwards the newly device started showing the same bright spot So I went to the Apple Store and they refused to acknowledge the issue and only offered to replace it to a new unit for 470 euro (lmao).
There's obviously a design problem and Apple is refusing to acknowledge it at the moment. I wish threads like this will force them to begin some kind of a support program.

They dealt with it right the first time. I'd book it in again and you'll likely get someone else who might just sort it for you no questions asked. Worth a shot, surely?

Roykatz

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2019
They dealt with it right the first time. I'd book it in again and you'll likely get someone else who might just sort it for you no questions asked. Worth a shot, surely?

wish I could.. there’s no official Apple Store in my country (only authorized resellers that the word warranty doesn’t mean that much to them).
I tried getting help from Apple in their Apple Store in Barcelona (Spain) with no luck.

• Sad
Reactions: 0989382

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
My iPad 10.5 is also experiencing this issue. (It was a replacement for one I accidentally damaged.) To be fair, it’s a minor blemish, so I hope the Apple genius is able to see it and will replace it (I am still under AppleCare+ for several more months.). I am bringing it in next week to Apple.

I really hope they don’t claim it is my fault and want me to use my remaining $50 damage replacement.

I do love the iPad, so this issue won’t prevent me from buying a future model, but I will probably sign up for month to month AppleCare+ to have greater than a 2 year warranty on future models. (If they offer AppleCare+ month to month with this iPad in the future after my two years is ending, I will sign up as well....)

James Nighthawk

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
London
I posted two weeks ago. I sent my “bright spot” iPad Pro 10.5" to John Lewis for repair/replacement

It was an early unit, Summer 2017, soon after release. The bright spot was about an inch wide, about an inch above the home button. Common in this thread.

Thankfully I had the 3 year John Lewis warranty!

They came through. Two weeks on, I have a brand new replacement. Good times! This one has a great screen. No white spot. No bad pixels.

I have checked the serial number, and this one was made in July 2019. I am shocked, as I thought it was discontinued by then, as the Air 3 was out!

My question, if anyone knows or suspects…

**Did Apple make production changes to the 10.5 Pro line, as time went on, to stop this bright spot issue??**

I would love to keep this iPad for years now, without the bright spot reappearing. Some people on here seem to think it is an issue with ALL 10.5 pros… surely not?! I hope not!

Thanks in advance ?

cloudswimmer

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2019
Bright spot here about 2 inches above the home button on my 1st generation iPad Pro 12.9. Really annoying against a white back drop. Showed up about 6 months ago, and the iPad was bought new back when they first came out. As long as I’m using apps like my music production apps with dark graphics I don’t notice or think about it .. but forget reading books on it :(

Liliumfl

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2019
I have checked the serial number, and this one was made in July 2019. I am shocked, as I thought it was discontinued by then, as the Air 3 was out!

**Did Apple make production changes to the 10.5 Pro line, as time went on, to stop this bright spot issue??**

I would love to keep this iPad for years now, without the bright spot reappearing. Some people on here seem to think it is an issue with ALL 10.5 pros… surely not?! I hope not!

Thanks in advance ?
interesting, anyone have 10.5 2019 production have bright spot yet?
i believe apple wouldn't made any change to their line, they're not a kind of company that listened to the customer or even care about 'em
the bright spot also happened to the brand new ipad air 3(as mention before) and the dang 1st gen pro 12.9

Bright spot here about 2 inches above the home button on my 1st generation iPad Pro 12.9. Really annoying against a white back drop. Showed up about 6 months ago, and the iPad was bought new back when they first came out. As long as I’m using apps like my music production apps with dark graphics I don’t notice or think about it .. but forget reading books on it :(
dang man, i was about to buy this pro 12.9
is it the 2015 production?

Roykatz

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2019
You can say I'm naive but I was thinking - why don't we send a link of this thread to some high-level person at Apple? or to contact the support department with it?
There are almost 1200 comments with many consumers that complain about the same issue. this issue is real.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
You can say I'm naive but I was thinking - why don't we send a link of this thread to some high-level person at Apple? or to contact the support department with it?
There are almost 1200 comments with many consumers that complain about the same issue. this issue is real.

You do realize that there are not 1200 people complaining of white spots in this thread correct? And that many are saying they don't have one? This thread would prove nothing to Apple and quite frankly proves nothing to me. Internet forums are the places where the minority of people having issues congregate to talk about them so it seems more inflated than it is. The other 99.9% with no issues aren't going to post online so you never get a sense that the majority are not having problems.

Apple has sold close to 80 million iPads since 2017 so let's just say that only 1million of them were 10.5 pros (and it's probably much higher). You'd have to find 10,000 people complaining about a white spot before it even hits 1% with the problem and the fact of the matter is that you couldn't even find close to that number of complaints. This is a non-issue for Apple.

Last edited:
Reactions: sparksd and Roykatz

Roykatz

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2019
You do realize that there are not 1200 people complaining of white spots in this thread correct? And that many are saying they don't have one? This thread would prove nothing to Apple and quite frankly proves nothing to me. Internet forums are the places where the minority of people having issues congregate to talk about them so it seems more inflated than it is. The other 99.9% with no issues aren't going to post online so you never get a sense that the majority are not having problems.

Apple has sold close to 80 million iPads since 2017 so let's just say that only 1million of them were 10.5 pros (and it's probably much higher). You'd have to find 10,000 people complaining about a white spot before it even hits 1% with the problem and the fact of the matter is that you couldn't even find close to that number of complaints. This is a non-issue for Apple.

You’ve got a point there. I think you’re right pal.

cloudswimmer

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2019
interesting, anyone have 10.5 2019 production have bright spot yet?
i believe apple wouldn't made any change to their line, they're not a kind of company that listened to the customer or even care about 'em
the bright spot also happened to the brand new ipad air 3(as mention before) and the dang 1st gen pro 12.9

dang man, i was about to buy this pro 12.9
is it the 2015 production?

Don’t know the exact production date, but the model number is ML0N2LL/A if that helps. I bought it direct from apple pretty close to the time they were released. I got a lot of time on it before the spot popped up. My newer 10.5 2nd gen Pro has no spot (yet), and my 2nd gen 12.9 Pro I just bought a couple weeks ago still factory sealed off of an eBay vendor is still sitting in the box while I figure out the whole unsigned IPSW thing to get it from IOS 11 up to IOS 12.3.1. In a way the bright spot on my 1st gen has helped me out .. I’ve always babied the thing only using it in my recording studio on an iklip stand, but after the spot appeared I said screw it .. took it off the stand and out of the studio, and now I use it 90% of the time compared to the others, and don’t worry about scratches, dings, smudges, food, dust, etc. ..... it’s my ‘beater’ pad and runs my IOS recording studio like silk on 12.3.1. ?

Gandek

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2017

But you fail to take into account that a lot of users simply don’t notice the issue. Also a lot of 10.5s for sale I’m various places have the bright spot in photos if there’s a white background.

reframer

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2012
Anybody thinking an aftermarket 10.5 screen replacement would be any good?
Lots of em floating around. The repair looks semi doable.....

jayhawk1941

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018
My recently purchased 10.5” iPad Pro is having the same issue as described in the 48 pages before this! Same size and location of bright spot. I bought the iPad this past April brand new at a Wal-Mart for $560! I was pretty stoked too because it was 256GB! That said, it’s still under warranty until April 2020 and I’m going in tomorrow to the Genius Bar. Since it’s now discontinued, how do replacements work with this model? Will they give me the exact same iPad? How long will I have to wait to get it?

Gandek

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2017
Anybody thinking an aftermarket 10.5 screen replacement would be any good?
Lots of em floating around. The repair looks semi doable.....

No no no no, stop. Please actually read this thread in its entirety if you have to. Like i said before the issue is not with the screen itself but the pressure from the connectors underneath. Don't waste your money.
[automerge]1571255873[/automerge]
My recently purchased 10.5” iPad Pro is having the same issue as described in the 48 pages before this! Same size and location of bright spot. I bought the iPad this past April brand new at a Wal-Mart for $560! I was pretty stoked too because it was 256GB! That said, it’s still under warranty until April 2020 and I’m going in tomorrow to the Genius Bar. Since it’s now discontinued, how do replacements work with this model? Will they give me the exact same iPad? How long will I have to wait to get it?

They will replace it but it will develop again over time so make sure your replacement doesn't have one before April 2020.

jayhawk1941

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018
They will replace it but it will develop again over time so make sure your replacement doesn't have one before April 2020.

Thanks! I'm hoping that I get one that was manufactured later in the 10.5" iPad Pro's lifecycle (assuming Apple admitted this fault internally and changed some manufacturing processes to prevent it from continuing to happen).

reframer

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2012
I know noone wants to hear this, but dark mode on IOS13 works great to hide my bright spots 10.5 Pro. I prefer dark mode everywhere anyways....Win10, Mojave, Sublime Text, etc. ?

So now I just need to get the web to not display so much white. Maybe if I could just get the default web screen to be black (firefox home) I might check out safaris new dark mode.

Reads white pdf. Becomes disappointed again. Still completely sucks.

Last edited:

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I posted two weeks ago. I sent my “bright spot” iPad Pro 10.5" to John Lewis for repair/replacement

It was an early unit, Summer 2017, soon after release. The bright spot was about an inch wide, about an inch above the home button. Common in this thread.

Thankfully I had the 3 year John Lewis warranty!

They came through. Two weeks on, I have a brand new replacement. Good times! This one has a great screen. No white spot. No bad pixels.

Thanks in advance ?
It’s not an issue with ALL 10.5” Pros. I’ve had mine for 22 months with daily use and still no spots.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I know noone wants to hear this, but dark mode on IOS13 works great to hide my bright spots 10.5 Pro. I prefer dark mode everywhere anyways....Win10, Mojave, Sublime Text, etc. ?

So now I just need to get the web to not display so much white. Maybe if I could just get the default web screen to be black (firefox home) I might check out safaris new dark mode.

Reads white pdf. Becomes disappointed again. Still completely sucks.
Still extremely disappointing for a tablet which costs top dollars. I am a gamer and I experience this stuff pretty frequently on gaming monitors but its sad that Apple has now fallen to the same standards as PC OEMs with a display lottery

baconroll

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
I took a gamble and bought a pro 10.5 last week as it was a great price. No spot yet. Checked and it was manufactured Sep 18. Battery full capacity. Might take out AC plus have a years guarantee. I’m hoping it doesn’t happen to me as it’s a great tablet.

Reactions: gr8hii

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
I took a gamble and bought a pro 10.5 last week as it was a great price. No spot yet. Checked and it was manufactured Sep 18. Battery full capacity. Might take out AC plus have a years guarantee. I’m hoping it doesn’t happen to me as it’s a great tablet.
For this model in particular, AC would be wise. Hopefully you wouldn’t need it but piece of mind given what we know

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The spot is inevitable. I just went to a store to purchase the 2018 iPad and the 10.5 in the store itself had a big white spot. Buy AC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.