Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoWayBehind

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2014
Rheinland Pfalz Germany
Ugh I didn’t know this was a thing. I have it too and it really annoys me. Of course my iPad ist out of warranty so I would need to pay about 500€ to replace a screen hindered by a design flaw. It’s actually kind of a joke.

telemakos

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
Ugh I didn’t know this was a thing. I have it too and it really annoys me. Of course my iPad ist out of warranty so I would need to pay about 500€ to replace a screen hindered by a design flaw. It’s actually kind of a joke.

Hey, if you're based in Germany, like in many other European countries, you should have 2 years warranty from the seller (whether it is Apple or not!). The iPad Pro 10.5 has not been on the market for 2 years as of now. Is yours another model?

Last edited:
Reactions: NoWayBehind and CE3

boylerman

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
Massachusetts
Has anyone successfully gotten a replacement iPad through their credit card warranty program? I’ve started the process with my Discover card but was curious if anyone else has done so successfully? It seems like this is becoming a widespread issue - it would be nice for Apple to step up to the plate on this.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Hey, if you're based in Germany, like in many other European countries, you should have 2 years warranty from the seller (whether it is Apple or not!). The iPad Pro 10.5 has not been on the market for 2 years as of now. Is yours another model?

I think you refer to consumer law available in many EU and other countries. It is not a warranty though, but a similar legal framework.
In most EU countries the law specifies that in order to claim consumer law the buyer needs to proof to the seller that the issue was there from the start.

Reactions: NoWayBehind

telemakos

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
I think you refer to consumer law available in many EU and other countries. It is not a warranty though, but a similar legal framework.
In most EU countries the law specifies that in order to claim consumer law the buyer needs to proof to the seller that the issue was there from the start.

There is indeed a difference from a legal point of view, but the effect is the same and for the sake of simplicity I cut it short. I don't think people here are interested in legalese, but on information they can pragmatically use in order to solve their issue.
The term is translated as "warranty". In countries like Switzerland and Germany it's called "Gewährleistung" (and it's like a 2 years warranty) and I've never had to prove anything when a device was not functioning properly or had something wrong, and had to bring it back to the shop for a warranty repair or replacement; In most cases shops are accommodating. In theory, yes, the buyer would have to prove that the fault was already present at the moment of the purchase, which in practice is impossible most of the time. Of course, the fault does not have to be caused by an accidental damage and such a warranty is also limited on consumables (e.g. batteries).

I would say, that we have here a clear case where such a warranty would apply because there seems to be something wrong in the design or a component of this iPad as the bright spot is for many in the exact same position and similarly shaped. Last but not least, the display is an essential characteristic of this device and it's clearly faulty.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoWayBehind

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
I wonder why Apple didn’t advertise the new iPads with an official Apple cover...maybe they knew?!

telemakos

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
I wonder why Apple didn’t advertise the new iPads with an official Apple cover...maybe they knew?!

I don’t believe the problem is related and they still sell their own and third-party covers in their stores. The photo posted above shows the demo iPad Pro with that bright spot without a case, others incl. me got the same issue and have been using a case.

Last edited:

AtikCzaTok

macrumors member
May 10, 2016
I saw this problem on a store. It was quite noticeable.

I'm glad I didn't buy this iPad and opted for the 2018 generic iPad. It really seems like a design flaw if so many people have this problem and you can even see it at a store.
88b58840597c149cbc3164bd68215f93.jpg

My 12.9 has the same issue in the same spot. Unfortunately, my 2 year apple care plan expired March 2018. Oh well, works fine otherwise- other than the parts of the screen temporarily becoming unresponsive ever since installing ios 12 beta (i.e the “m” key on the touch keyboard)

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
I don’t believe the problem is related and they still sell their own and third-party covers in their stores. The photo posted above shows the demo iPad Pro with that bright spot without a case, others incl. me got the same issue and have been using a case.
Ah cool beans then.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
B66B7E5D-8D4F-4533-97A2-1055E1F73E4E.jpeg I noticed a tiny bright spot on my 10.5” the evening of the last day of my warranty. Fortunately it is small and near the corner.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I had this issue as well. My 10.5 was barely a year old. I got it replaced by Apple.

SnyG

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Just posted a thread on this, didn’t realise how widespread it is. Turned my IPP on to find this. One whole month out of warranty :rolleyes:

And another

I live in the UK, can I do anything?

Attachments

• F7FB2C06-0A89-4680-88F4-E72683529AAE.jpeg
    F7FB2C06-0A89-4680-88F4-E72683529AAE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 478
  • 51DB1A09-9489-4F27-AAF9-8734624B66AD.jpeg
    51DB1A09-9489-4F27-AAF9-8734624B66AD.jpeg
    632.6 KB · Views: 498

telemakos

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
Just posted a thread on this, didn’t realise how widespread it is. Turned my IPP on to find this. One whole month out of warranty :rolleyes:

And another

I'm not sure about UK, but in general in the EU and Switzerland you have a warranty of 2 years through the seller (not necessarily Apple), see my post above. I would suggest you to print out this whole thread and go to the shop where you bought it so you can show that it's a widespread issue and ask for a warranty repair. It should be covered by the consumer protection laws because the damage was not caused by you: https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Mine has had the spot for months if not a whole year by now, it's annoying but not to the point forcing me to go hit an Apple Store for a replacement. But what I am wondering is if there is a new Pro update, do you think we can get a replacement with the new model later? Because it seems the 10.5" form factor is an one-off design that will be discontinued.

Neonblue

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2009
London
I have exactly the same issue on my 1st gen 12.9 - just an inch or two above the home button. It’s becoming so distracting now. There’s been no blunt force to the screen and I’ve kept it in a Smart Cover since purchase.

Is it even worth taking it to Apple UK if I’m out of warranty?

Attachments

• 63C89E03-4D8C-453D-B9B3-2E7A24D0B658.jpeg
    63C89E03-4D8C-453D-B9B3-2E7A24D0B658.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 617

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Could it be caused by the lightning connector and a cord being plugged in (or laid down) crooked?

sneak3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
khloYPow2ZS1kLGk.huge

It's either due to pressure against that metal plate or due to heat generated by it.

I have been using mine extensively since last august and no sign of bright spots though. Guess the tolerance is pretty small, so some are affected while others arent. Screw you underpaid chinese worker, stop creating more 1st world problems :p

Reactions: Jetson

telemakos

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
khloYPow2ZS1kLGk.huge

It's either due to pressure against that metal plate or due to heat generated by it.

I have been using mine extensively since last august and no sign of bright spots though. Guess the tolerance is pretty small, so some are affected while others arent. Screw you underpaid chinese worker, stop creating more 1st world problems :p

Yes I agree it might be due to that. I also posted a photo from iFixit above. But in my iPad Pro the spot took ca. 12 months to develop, 1-2 months is probably not enough.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK

And another

Take it in, maybe under Consumer Law.

I've had an iMac Retina display replaced twice for odd patches in the corner of the screen. I have AppleCare but it was done under Consumer Law according to the invoice. So you may have some luck with an iPad and Consumer Law

Sunshoopa

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011
So far it’s been 5 months and no bright spots to be seen at all on my replacement iPad Pro 10.5”. It was about this time when my original one started developing it. Hope it keeps going!

I know I haven’t done near as intensive stuff since I’ve got this one, maybe that partially has to do with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.