Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ant1298

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
Mine developed this spot a few months ago, but I was too lazy to do anything about it and refused to look at it.

I was visiting an Apple store area (Leicester) today which prompted me to check my 1 year warranty - it was running out today. Unfortunately due to lack of genius appointments I had to book the shipping repair option.

If that doesn't work out I'll fall back on the John Lewis 2 year warranty :)

The white spot is annoying!

app25

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2015
Mine developed this spot a few months ago, but I was too lazy to do anything about it and refused to look at it.

I was visiting an Apple store area (Leicester) today which prompted me to check my 1 year warranty - it was running out today. Unfortunately due to lack of genius appointments I had to book the shipping repair option.

If that doesn't work out I'll fall back on the John Lewis 2 year warranty :)

The white spot is annoying!
[doublepost=1538629761][/doublepost]My 10.5 inch pro has the white dot above the home button as well. It is within warranty and I plan to exchange it. Assuming an 11 inch pro is announced this month, do you think there would be a way to exchange the new replacement and pay the difference to upgrade to the new model? Has anybody ever had any luck with that?

Spaceboy88

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2005
New York, NY
This just happened to mine; about a 1" white spot appeared. I'm 3 months out of warranty and going to Genius Bar today. Anyone have any luck being out of warranty? If they won't swap, did they give you a price estimate for repair? I didn't buy Apple Care because I have my double-warranty from my credit card.

GarrettNolan

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2006
This just happened to mine; about a 1" white spot appeared. I'm 3 months out of warranty and going to Genius Bar today. Anyone have any luck being out of warranty? If they won't swap, did they give you a price estimate for repair? I didn't buy Apple Care because I have my double-warranty from my credit card.

Mine was out of warranty by a month and it was a full replacement cost, which was $4XX. I tried to appeal to the manager of the Apple store I went to, and while they were oh so concerned about "my experience." They didn't accomodate me in a manner that is fitting for a hardware issue that others have had experience with. It's times like these that I wish we had stronger consumer protections here in the US.

My experience in talking to a genius and help desk was that they list the defect as a pressure related screen failure, but no other additional data is gathered and sent back to engineering. It's a blindspot in their diagnostic tool that they use, they basically blame the user for the failure. They did however inform me that I could trade in the device for full recycling credit when the new iPad is available since that is not one of the requirements for trading in the device.

I'd ask why it is they made a sleeve and smart keyboard that doesn't cover the back of the device. Could it be that thermal expansion is at play here? The spot is directly over the mainboard and specifically a chipset that seems to get rather hot when being used for long periods of time and during charging. Also if you've used both the 29w and 30w charger you could see there is a thermal throttle that makes charging take a bit longer on the 30w than the 29w charger. I was using the 29w charger most of the time I had the device, before the bright spot appeared.

Tafkaeken

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2018
Has anyone made a successful claim under the EU consumer protection directive?
Apples warranty ended in Junefor but this thread should be enough to prove that this may be a designer flaw.

Reactions: NoWayBehind

NoWayBehind

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2014
Rheinland Pfalz Germany
Apples warranty ended in Junefor but this thread should be enough to prove that this may be a designer flaw.

I'm going to try it next month or so, because 1) it’s annoying, 2) because it decreases the resell value and 3) because it is obviously a manufacturing/ design error, which doesn’t represent the screen quality anymore that we paid for. I made two pictures. Sometimes it stands out more in person than in the photos, especially if bright content is displayed. Screen brightness doesn’t matter, it happens if it is dim as well as cranked up. It is EXACTLY the same spot as in the other pictures.

If this was an iPhone problem it would have been covered on the front page by now.

4565111E-46C9-4994-B6DF-3F2026702B04.jpeg E9E542E7-E45B-4674-A383-004CEDE81C8B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Neonblue

Tafkaeken

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2018
FA332669-FC42-47D5-905C-99B3F14EBC7D.jpeg
Yeah, mine is at the same spot.

The Apple Store is sadly quite far out of Stockholm so I don’t know when I could make that trip. Specially if i already know that they are going the try to convince me that I did this.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland

I spoke to Apple support online and have booked in to my local store for next week. They said because it doesn’t show up in screenshots that it is a hardware defect. They said I could take it to the store and would swap it out but there may be a cost involved since it was out if warranty. I said if it is a hardware defect and the iPad is otherwise perfect then this should be covered under EU legislation and no cost would be involved for me. Support did confirm this would be the case. It seems they don’t volunteer the information but happy to confirm if you ask.

Will see what happens next weekend - the earliest I could get to the store.

Last edited:

ant1298

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
I got mine replaced and the replacement is faulty with 2 bright white specks, these look more concentrated then the white spot.

Now to visit the Apple store. Annoyingly and rather stupidly I fitted the screen protector first then checked the screen. Money down the drain, going to run it without now because I can't be bothered to waste more money.

2 weeks before I can get to the store with annoying screen issues.

:(

Raz373

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2018
I had this exact same issue with the spot above the home button on my day one iPad pro 10.5 begin about a week ago. Out of warranty, quoted consumer law, iPad sent off to Apple using the mail in service and my replacement just arrived today. Real easy process. Seems like they know there is an issue.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
This happened on my iPad Pro 12.9” first generation. I believe it was December 2016 when this occurred, ***but I don’t know if it appeared over time or was there from the get go.
Either way, I was able to sell it and get a replacement.
But... I’m worried Apples next ipads will have the same issues. That’s one reason OLED is better; (no light or edge bleed, but the cost and image retention bug me.)
Bloody hell apple! Just fix this issue by increasing the display QC... then I’m happy.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
My 10.5 seems to have this as well. Still well within warranty, I originally thought it was some sort of issue with my screen protector. I guess I'll take it in to Apple to get replaced this weekend.

stalf

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2018
Hey everyone, my iPad Pro 10,5" developed the bright spot 2 months ago and I've been following this post ever since. Last night, I decided to try Apple Support chat.

I explained the problem to Apple's representative and sent him a picture of the spot, but after checking and not finding a repair program, he instructed me to try a certified service provider.

I proceeded to explain my frustration with this whole situation as I paid a premium for the iPad Pro 10,5" on launch because I expected it to last at least as long as the iPad 4 I had before it, which lasted for 4 years. Now I'm facing a display problem with little more than one year of use. I said it was most certainly a project flaw, and pointed him to this post.

He said he understood it, and would try escalating the problem to advanced support, which called me within 15 minutes.

This guy had been briefed by the first representative and said he'd escalate the problem again to an Apple Engineer who might have something to say. I can say I'm more hopeful now than I was before the chat, but I really think this an unbelievably long shot.

The most important thing he said was that Apple might already have a repair program if all users facing this problem sent feedback through apple.com/feedback page.

So I urge everyone on this post to get to the feedback website right now and submit your bright spot feedback so we might try to get a repair program for our devices.

YodasMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Hey everyone, my iPad Pro 10,5" developed the bright spot 2 months ago and I've been following this post ever since. Last night, I decided to try Apple Support chat.

I explained the problem to Apple's representative and sent him a picture of the spot, but after checking and not finding a repair program, he instructed me to try a certified service provider.

I proceeded to explain my frustration with this whole situation as I paid a premium for the iPad Pro 10,5" on launch because I expected it to last at least as long as the iPad 4 I had before it, which lasted for 4 years. Now I'm facing a display problem with little more than one year of use. I said it was most certainly a project flaw, and pointed him to this post.

He said he understood it, and would try escalating the problem to advanced support, which called me within 15 minutes.

This guy had been briefed by the first representative and said he'd escalate the problem again to an Apple Engineer who might have something to say. I can say I'm more hopeful now than I was before the chat, but I really think this an unbelievably long shot.

The most important thing he said was that Apple might already have a repair program if all users facing this problem sent feedback through apple.com/feedback page.

So I urge everyone on this post to get to the feedback website right now and submit your bright spot feedback so we might try to get a repair program for our devices.

I went ahead and emailed apple. I would also suggest you email the guys at unbox therapy. Hopefully they can make a video regarding this issue to get apples attention.

http://unboxtherapy.com/contact/

thisjustin88

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2018
Mine bought in April just developed this. I honestly thought it was bruising!!!! Do you guys have any tips in verbiage to explain to apple to help get it resolved.

Cancelled
Jun 20, 2017
Took mine to the Apple Store (in Germany). I bought it last August last year, so guarantee was out by 2 months. Genius had a look at my iPP in pristine condition and said they would replace it with a new device (thanks to the EU 2 year customer protection law). Very happy about that. Sadly they don't have them in stock, so I need to go back to pick one up. And my added benefit is I get a new battery. The old one was already down to 87% capacity (according to CoconutBattery).

EDIT: Yes, of course free of charge! And apparently the displays on the iPP can't be replaced in-store, which is why they will always replace the device.

Last edited:

telemakos

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
Took mine to the Apple Store (in Germany). I bought it last August last year, so guarantee was out by 2 months. Genius had a look at my iPP in pristine condition and said they would replace it with a new device (thanks to the EU 2 year customer protection law). Very happy about that. Sadly they don't have them in stock, so I need to go back to pick one up. And my added benefit is I get a new battery. The old one was already down to 87% capacity (according to CoconutBattery).

Did you originally buy it in an Apple Store or elsewhere?

Cancelled
Jun 20, 2017
Did you originally buy it in an Apple Store or elsewhere?
I bought it in the Apple Store (not online this time). In case someone doesn't know: EU consumer law states that within the protection period (and outside of the regular warranty period) it's the retailer/seller who has to provide a solution. That's one reason why I prefer to stick with Apple, even if the devices are more expensive there.

telemakos

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
I bought it in the Apple Store (not online this time). In case someone doesn't know: EU consumer law states that within the protection period (and outside of the regular warranty period) it's the retailer/seller who has to provide a solution. That's one reason why I prefer to stick with Apple, even if the devices are more expensive there.

Yes, I know and wrote about this above, too. I didn't buy mine in an Apple Store. The spot developed after 13 months. I also have 2 years warranty and will bring it back to the store for warranty repair or replacement.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
I've seen display models with these bright spots.

Perhaps it has something to do with heat and the components under the display that are causing the spots to appear?

telemakos

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
I've seen display models with these bright spots.

Perhaps it has something to do with heat and the components under the display that are causing the spots to appear?

It's possible. If you scroll up in this thread you'll find a photo of a demo iPad Pro with such a spot.

Elwots

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2016
I have this same issue on mine. Just over a year old, so I’m out of warranty. Hopefully this catches Apple’s attention and a program is put in place to fix it. I only see it getting worse over time and it seems pretty widespread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.