Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mc0

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2017
We don't have Apple Store in the country but we do have Apple Certified Service center. You know what they told me when I brought my iPad Air3? "We can't repair or replace the screen because it's just a cosmetic issue. We can only do repair if you can't use the device." UGH. So I moved on ? and sold the iPad at a discount.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
I sold off my 10.5” iPad Pro after 12/12 10.5” Pros I have seen had same white spot issue. Good riddance.

Reactions: r_123

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
I looked at buying a used 10.5 iPad. Saw a faint white spot above the home button so I passed. Wasn’t sure how much brighter it would get and didn’t want to take a chance.

Reactions: r_123

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Just got all 3 of my kids Air 3’s replaced by apple. According to the tech guy, it was a massive defective batch of panels from one manufacture lol. Says my new ones won’t have this issue
Good luck with that, either sell them ASAP or, if still applicable, get your warranty period extended by another year or two.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I'm still waiting for my white spot. It's been over 3 years and I don't have it even though it's been repeated 'ad nauseam' how widespread it is and that they all will get it......

Reactions: zimzalabims

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I'm still waiting for my white spot. It's been over 3 years and I don't have it even though it's been repeated 'ad nauseam' how widespread it is and that they all will get it......
I don’t have it either, although mine isn’t quite 3 years old yet. More like 2.7 years.

I suspect the prevalence of this issue is much higher than usual, but still the minority of course.

Reactions: JBGoode

skot-drud

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2020
Just to add one more image dp about the issue

Attachments

• C0291F20-4A8E-4085-8967-EE938660CE93.jpeg
    C0291F20-4A8E-4085-8967-EE938660CE93.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Sad
Reactions: Rashy

Rashy

Suspended
Jan 7, 2020
That looks bad indeed...

As once mentioned, I had replaced my Pro 10.5" (activated in 2019) in Dec 2020 with a refurbished one. Looked like brand-new. Now, I gifted it to my sister. So far, the refurbed device hasn't shown any bright spots at all. Is there a chance that the issue has been solved for the Pro as well? Maybe she will be lucky in the long term...

Leaving that aside, the bright spot on my old one didn't really bother me. You only see it on a white, bright page or background. Without warranty, I would have simply kept and ignored it. Though it didn't look as bad as shown above :/

If there hadn't been that annoyance, the 10.5" would had the potential to be regarded as best iPad of its time, since its hardware with 120Hz, 600nits, OiS, Quad Speakers, A10X, 4GB Ram and 3.5mm headphone jack is still more than solid almost 5 years later. I loved my device.

NoelWalker

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2021
Mine has the exact same issue but it isn’t bothering me too much. Still a great device. Gonna wait for the 11” with mini LED.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Is there any way to get them fixed it permamently, like, replacing it with different model for example?
After all, its not your fault, its theirs.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Is there any way to get them fixed it permamently, like, replacing it with different model for example?
After all, its not your fault, its theirs.
If you have apple care, I guess they can do something. Otherwise, it's not really a problem, according to Apple.

Reactions: VaruLV

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
According to apple, they have fixed this issue with the refurbs. That’s what I was told when I got my kids Air 3’s replaced. I guess time will tell

Just to play DA here -- would they ever tell anyone if they hadn't fixed it and were still shipping out freshly refurbed "duds" every day?

They just hope eventually people give up asking for replacements or they move on to another model.

Reactions: javisan and VaruLV

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Just to play DA here -- would they ever tell anyone if they hadn't fixed it and were still shipping out freshly refurbed "duds" every day?

They just hope eventually people give up asking for replacements or they move on to another model.
Well they could play dumb and say they aren’t sure or they haven’t heard of a wide spread issue. But this guy admitted it’s a known issue and has been corrected.

So who knows yet

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Well they could play dumb and say they aren’t sure or they haven’t heard of a wide spread issue. But this guy admitted it’s a known issue and has been corrected.

So who knows yet

I guess I just don't believe them on this one

I went through several 10.5" units a while back and had issues with each

Apple reps were always assuring me x,y,z was remedied and all of my evidence showed me that the 10.5"s were sort of duds overall.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
My 10.5 has had a white spot on it since day one, it was a company issue so I didn't really care, now it suffers from a random restart if held the wrong way or the slightest amount of pressure put on it a certain way.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
If you have apple care, I guess they can do something. Otherwise, it's not really a problem, according to Apple.
And thats very wrong to be honest, its well known issue for them, has been so for years, yet they dont want to take FULL responsibility here. Basically they are just as bad as any other nig name company, profit over responsibilty, god forbid stock to fall few € lower if they announce it.

This is sad tho, because I did really like and enjoy my 10.5 Pro. Then again, I got it replaced one month before 2y warrany ran out and sold it for imho rather good price. Still not cool on Apple$ side so try to swipe it under the rug, with all their money and expertise.

My 10.5 has had a white spot on it since day one, it was a company issue so I didn't really care, now it suffers from a random restart if held the wrong way or the slightest amount of pressure put on it a certain way.
Its a good tablet, even today. Can you get it fixed at sensible cost?

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
And thats very wrong to be honest, its well known issue for them, has been so for years, yet they dont want to take FULL responsibility here. Basically they are just as bad as any other nig name company, profit over responsibilty, god forbid stock to fall few € lower if they announce it.

This is sad tho, because I did really like and enjoy my 10.5 Pro. Then again, I got it replaced one month before 2y warrany ran out and sold it for imho rather good price. Still not cool on Apple$ side so try to swipe it under the rug, with all their money and expertise.

Its a good tablet, even today. Can you get it fixed at sensible cost?
I suppose I could, I got a 2nd gen 11 pro 128 as a replacement so I am not really too concerned with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.