Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
Laughs. Final nail in the coffin.

I try to trade it in for 200$ to Apple for a new ipad.

Sorry it has white spots. 0$.

But they are YOUR white spots.

Soooooo dumb. 10.5" Ipad Pro. White spots around the 1.5 year mark.
Wow, that is crazy.

I refuse to buy a new iPad because of this issue, this is exactly what Apple wants us to do. I will live with the bright spot until this iPad dies.

Tech YouTubers and sites like this one are to blame because they don't call out Apple on this BS. Their collective voices would force Apple to act and recall them. By now the financial impact of Apple recalling and replacing all these units would be a drop in the bucket.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I try to trade it in for 200$ to Apple for a new ipad.

Sorry it has white spots. 0$.

But they are YOUR white spots.

That's exactly the situation I was worried about with the 10.5" iPad Pro

I went through several of them and there were always issues..
I knew if I held onto it, I'd be the one holding the bag at some point.

No thanks

Reactions: VaruLV

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Welp. I just noticed a very faint white spot on my Air 3. Nothing on the Pro 10.5 though.

I wonder if it's because I've been fast charging the Air 3 at the office lately which probably generates extra heat. Meanwhile, the Pro 10.5 normally just charges at 5-12W overnight depending on how many devices I have plugged in to my 10-port Anker 60W charger. More often 5W than 12W.

• Sad
Reactions: BigMcGuire

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Welp. I just noticed a very faint white spot on my Air 3. Nothing on the Pro 10.5 though.

I wonder if it's because I've been fast charging the Air 3 at the office lately which probably generates extra heat. Meanwhile, the Pro 10.5 normally just charges at 5-12W overnight depending on how many devices I have plugged in to my 10-port Anker 60W charger. More often 5W than 12W.
Doubtful, ours is on a multiport charger which is the same 5-12w range as yours and they all developed the issue. All got replaced under apple care, so far so good. But only happened in December

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Doubtful, ours is on a multiport charger which is the same 5-12w range as yours and they all developed the issue. All got replaced under apple care, so far so good. But only happened in December

The Air 3 is over 2 years. Only noticed just now while using it in portrait while reading some comics with white background. It’s extremely faint and I only see it at a certain angle so not getting it replaced yet (it’s on $3.50/mo AC+).

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
The Air 3 is over 2 years. Only noticed just now while using it in portrait while reading some comics with white background. It’s extremely faint and I only see it at a certain angle so not getting it replaced yet (it’s on $3.50/mo AC+).
Ours were just over 2 years old when they got replaced. I meant the new units are good but they are only a few months old so they obviously should be lol

Revtach

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2022
The bright spot issue started on my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 about a year after purchase. It never bothered me enough to do anything about it. The bright spot stayed steady for the next several years, but over the last 6 months I began to notice it has been spreading down the center of the screen and along the bottom. I tried to take a pic of the spots and it is a little hard to see them, but they are more pronounced in person:

IHWW8E0.jpg

jvjDTOL.jpg

It is a shame to hear that Apple won't address the issue. At this point, there are probably enough people who have moved on from the 10.5 that Apple will never have to do anything about it. Other than the bright spot, I really do love the iPad and would love to continue using it for next several years (until a OLED iPad comes out).

I may need a new battery sometime this year. If I ask Apple to do it, I'll pay for the battery replacement and lobby for them to replace the display at the same time at their cost since this is honestly a design defect. I'll do my best to remember to update the thread after that conversation happens. In the mean time, I and everyone else should be sure to submit the problem to Apple through their product feedback form: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The bright spot issue started on my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 about a year after purchase. It never bothered me enough to do anything about it. The bright spot stayed steady for the next several years, but over the last 6 months I began to notice it has been spreading down the center of the screen and along the bottom. I tried to take a pic of the spots and it is a little hard to see them, but they are more pronounced in person:

MVuHwLU.jpg

YV5LJZ0.jpg

It is a shame to hear that Apple won't address the issue. At this point, there are probably enough people who have moved on from the 10.5 that Apple will never have to do anything about it. Other than the bright spot, I really do love the iPad and would love to continue using it for next several years (until a OLED iPad comes out).

I may need a new battery sometime this year. If I ask Apple to do it, I'll pay for the battery replacement and lobby for them to replace the display at the same time at their cost since this is honestly a design defect. I'll do my best to remember to update the thread after that conversation happens. In the mean, I and everyone else should be sure to submit the problem to Apple through their product feedback form: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

This defect really should've been covered by a repair program beyond the normal 1-year warranty.

Unfortunately, it seems Apple can get away with sweeping things under the rug since the iPads don't sell as much as iPhones with higher end Pro and Air models selling even less. Only thing that can make them budge is a class-action lawsuit.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I now have this on my iPad Pro 10.5 2018 :(
about 2 inches above home button
:(

BTW, the iPad Pro 10.5" came out in 2017. I take it you bought it in 2018 though? I bought mine in 2019 (when the iPad Air 10.5 came out), because it was relatively inexpensive on the Apple refurb store. So far I have been spared the white spot.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013

IHWW8E0.jpg

jvjDTOL.jpg

I may need a new battery sometime this year. If I ask Apple to do it, I'll pay for the battery replacement and lobby for them to replace the display at the same time at their cost since this is honestly a design defect. I'll do my best to remember to update the thread after that conversation happens. In the mean time, I and everyone else should be sure to submit the problem to Apple through their product feedback form: https://www.apple.com/feedback/
Damn! That looks terrible. I had the 2017 10.5” Pro. I was using it with no issues but then suddenly began reading about this problem in threads here.

I just ended up selling it back to Apple and buying the 2020 11” Pro. Note though that when I sold it to Apple there was no white spot on it and it is likely that it would have continued to serve my purpose as the 11” does today.

Pity though Apple does not/did not address this issue as it is, as many have stated, a design/manufacturing issue.

lyunmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
Wow, that is crazy.

I refuse to buy a new iPad because of this issue, this is exactly what Apple wants us to do. I will live with the bright spot until this iPad dies.

Tech YouTubers and sites like this one are to blame because they don't call out Apple on this BS. Their collective voices would force Apple to act and recall them. By now the financial impact of Apple recalling and replacing all these units would be a drop in the bucket.
Odd how Apple doesn't accept it and won't acknowledge the issue. Samsung took my 10.5 pro with the white spot and gave me $320 or $220 for it when I traded it in for the Galaxy Tab S7+ last year. I just wanted to get some value for the my white spot iPad at the time.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
Odd how Apple doesn't accept it and won't acknowledge the issue. Samsung took my 10.5 pro with the white spot and gave me $320 or $220 for it when I traded it in for the Galaxy Tab S7+ last year. I just wanted to get some value for the my white spot iPad at the time.
This is precisely the reason why I preemptively sold my 10.5 Pro back to Apple and bought the 2020 11” Pro even though my unit had no white spots at the time. But having read post after post of this problem cropping up, I knew it was likely just a matter of time before I would also face the problem at which point it would have been too late.

Reactions: lyunmac and VaruLV

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
Does anyone know if there is a class action lawsuit in the works for this issue?

Or does anyone know how to go about alerting money hungry lawyers to go after this?

This would be a slam dunk case for any legal firm that does this type of thing. I genuinely want to make sure this happens, not because I will gain anything from it personally (lawyers are the real winners always), but I want Apple to go through the public embarrassment.

Apple users and tech/business sites need to stop glorifying Apple and start calling them out for things like this. Instead, they continue getting a free pass one issue after another.

Reactions: rui no onna

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Does anyone know if there is a class action lawsuit in the works for this issue?

Or does anyone know how to go about alerting money hungry lawyers to go after this?

This would be a slam dunk case for any legal firm that does this type of thing. I genuinely want to make sure this happens, not because I will gain anything from it personally (lawyers are the real winners always), but I want Apple to go through the public embarrassment.

Apple users and tech/business sites need to stop glorifying Apple and start calling them out for things like this. Instead, they continue getting a free pass one issue after another.
I doubt anything will happen. Meanwhile my 12.9in first gen from 2015 had never had any issue, but the replacement model I got last year when I did the battery service is now developing a bright spot. It's very faint, but might become more visible and/or spread over time. I really didn't want to sell this iPad, as it's still fast enough and even when it loses support it will still be great for videos (large screen, great speakers) or as an external display for a Mac/PC.
But now I am obliged to sell it if I don't want to take the risk of the issue becoming apparent and the device becoming like my 10.5 (I cannot sell it but I barely use it because of this issue).
Unfortauntely people offer very little for a 2015 device, despite it having the new battery and plenty of accessories I had bought over the years. I would have been happy with never selling this, but Apple's poor quality control leaves me no choice....

farkingdom

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
i just noticed today my iPad Pro 10.5 256gb developed a faint white bright spot few inch above the home button.
sad, but I love this iPad

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
The spot on my 10.5 Pro has actually remained the same as far as I can tell. I don’t use that iPad very often anymore, so that might be a factor in it not changing much.
Mine was faint at the beginning, and over 6 months it became more evident and spread. That's also why, when my replacement 2015 12.9 unit (I had a battery service) developed a faint spot after little more than a year (the original never did in 6 years) I just sold it when it was still barely visible. Once the spot is really ugly it destroys the resell value of the device to peanuts

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I just reclaimed my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 and Air 3 from my parents as I "upgraded" them to iPad Air 4s. The Pro used to be my primary and it had developed the white spot while I still had it and has gotten worse over the ~3 years my mom used it. The Air 3 was brand new and also did develop more white fading than a spot a little bit more towards the middle of the screen. The thing is neither of my parents noticed it until I pointed it out to them, and they actually use them quite a bit but just not for the things that really make them stick out. Still it kills resale or trade in value.

I plan on repurposing them anyway to replace the my old Air 2s that aren't going to be supported in iOS 16 that went through pretty much the same lifecycle. Mine for a couple of years, my parents for a couple more then back to mine. I use those as my tertiary iPads, like when my friends daughter comes over (7), or as a kitchen/recipe device, or to test out new iOSs etc.

With all the class action lawsuits I'm surprised there doesn't appear to have been one for this issue.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
this is why I traded my 10.5 in for a 11 inch M1. I remember I took my 10.5 in and Apple wanted to place blame on the cover I was using- even though it was a Smart Cover by Apple. After they checked to make sure it was real they replaced my 10.5, and gave me a new cover. I turned around and traded in the 10.5 a few months later for the m1.

Worst Apple product I’ve ever owned.

Dobbel

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2018
Netherlands
My 12.9 ipad pro 2016 has the bright spot since more than a year i think and stays the same.
I get used to it like a beauty spot on a lady….

Revtach

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2022
1 year update...

I sent my iPad Pro 10.5 in to Apple for a battery replacement. I did it through Best Buy's Geek Squad and the person I dealt with didn't say anything about the bright spots or perhaps just didn't notice them. It got accepted and sent off to Apple and I didn't hear anything from them about it either. To my surprise, Apple's battery replacement program is actually a replacement of the entire device. So, I now have a brand new iPad Pro 10.5 in my possession.

I am debating between continuing on with this model or selling it and getting a 2018+ Pro.

Looking up the IMEI, it shows an estimated purchase date of Sep, 2017. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but I will assume it's accurate and bet that this iPad was manufactured around that time frame which means that this iPad has the same design defect that caused the bright spots on my previous iPad which I purchased in 2017 as well.

I'd like to ask if anyone can comment on how widespread they believe the bright spot issue to really be? We know that Apple will never admit to it being a common problem, so all we have is our own shared anectodal experiences. Should I risk continuing on with this model hoping I'm lucky this time with never getting the issue? I don't understand how some of these iPad could develop the issue while others don't. You'd think that a design flaw is going to reveal itself through the hardware every single time so long as each unit was assembled the same way.

I still love the iPad Pro 10.5 but I'm assuming the bright spots will eventually be an issue with this new replacement. For that reason alone I am very much leaning towards selling it and getting a 2018+.

Last edited:

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
It would be a refurb model, I highly doubt it's a refurb all the way back from 2017. When I sent in my kids air 3's for replacement for this issue, I was told all the refurbs had this issue resolved. I guess time will tell but its been about a year on their replacement air 3's and not a single sign of it so far.

I would still sell it for a newer 2018+ model either way, nicer design, faster etc. You'll also get better money for this 10.5 while its in brand new condition, easier to sell as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.