Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
It was the Apple tech support people who suggested going to the Genius Bar after they had me reboot it. They even set up the appointment. I went twice. The second time was because there was not enough info for them to pull as a result of the reboot. The second time they said to replace it or try wiping it and starting from scratch. The phone hasn't heated up like before and hasn't rebooted itself again. We shall see what happens.

Sounds like your iPhone might have a logic board issue. My iPhone 5 had a similar intermittent issue and I kept it for about 10 months. I finally got tired of the issue popping up and took it to an AppleStore and they swapped it out for a gray box one no questions asked. Ever since then it's been perfect plus my old iPhone had a big scratch on the screen.

If you're going in circles with the Apple tech support people ask them nicely to speak to a senior technician. They can actually open tickets directly with Apple engineering.

bsage

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2013
Denver, CO
iPad 4 crashes back to the Apple logo

Just curious, does safari crashing mean you're kicked back to the home screen, or does the apple logo show up for 5-10 seconds then you're kicked back to the lock screen?

Each time mine crashes it does the apple logo to lock screen crash.

I am having the same issue with my Ipad 4... Purchased a refurb Ipad 4 32GB from the Apple on-line store on 10/22/13 and it would crash to the white Apple logo about once a week, then a bit more often. Took it to my local Apple Store on 11/26/13 and the Genius there swapped it out for a "new" (brown box) unit immediately. Now the "new" iPad 4 is crashing once a day to the white Apple logo. I will have several apps open and running several Safari tabs.... I get the timer wheel running but nothing is loading or "lost connection to server" message and then a sun shade pull down effect on the screen. Then the screen goes black and the white logo appears. Boots me to the start screen... When I swipe in the open apps and Safari are still open.

Is there a larger issue with the IPad 4? Should I ask for my money back and go for the IPad Air? I purchased an IPad Air 32 GB for my wife while we were at the store and she has had multiple apps and Safari screens open and no problems so far...

LurkingIowan

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2008
New Air owner as of yesterday; I've had at least a dozen Safari crashes in the past 24 hours. 9-5 Mac crashes it, reddit, imgur etc. I'm not thrilled. I've had a few random app crashes as well, but nothing like Safari.

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
Guys try this and tell me if you ipad air will crash.

1. Google "Kobe bryant twitter"
2. Go to kobe's twitter and scroll at the bottom, you should see Load more tweets, tweets will be loaded automatically.
3. Continue scrolling down (4-5 times will be ok)
5. Scroll quickly up.
6. Your ipad air most probably will crash

Yes this caused my ipad air to crash... Good example. What is Apple doing about this?..?...?

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
Please call Apple tech support and open up a support ticket. Only Apple can fix this issue and the only way to put pressure in them is to open up support tickets.

luckylisp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2006
NY state
I agree. It won't be fixed until the next ipad. You can exchange it all day and it won't fix it. I have had 3 airs already and all do the same.

Same here. I have had more than a few and experienced the crashing issue on all of them. Says low memory in the logs. I use the mercury browser and it crashes regularly.

caughy

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2014
ipad low memory

I have figured out what is going on with IOS7. There is a memory leak with the operating system where memory becomes unavailable to the ipad. I noticed this when using a memory monitor. When I started to experience low memory issues with the Mercury browser, I looked at the monitor. Mercury has a setting that warns of low memory conditions. Only 1/2 of the available system memory, of 1 gig, was even available to the OS. This included wired, active, inactive, free, and used memory. The counts shown did not add up to even close to 1 gb. After repowering the device, the memory added up to 1 gb.

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Can anyone confirm that the iPad 4 doesn't have safari crash/reload issues in iOS 7?

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Can anyone confirm that the iPad 4 doesn't have safari crash/reload issues in iOS 7?

My ipad2 crashes in safari a lot now since upgrading to iOS7, so I'm guessing the 4 would as well, as log as it's running iOS 7.

Too bad, the ipad2 never crashed in safari with ios6.

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
I believe the issue is memory management in the 64bit environment. I noticed there are people with iPhone 5s's having the same issue. There is one common factor and that is the A7 64bit architecture. The amount of ram should not be the issue since there does not seem to be an issue on devices running in 32bit A4, A5, A5X, and A6

The iPhone 4s is an A4 32bit device with 512mb of ram running the same IOS 7.0.4 without these same crashes.

Does this make sense?

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I a getting some safari crashes and low memory logs in diagnostics, never happened with my iPad 4 which we still have. :mad:

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
New Air owner as of yesterday; I've had at least a dozen Safari crashes in the past 24 hours. 9-5 Mac crashes it, reddit, imgur etc. I'm not thrilled. I've had a few random app crashes as well, but nothing like Safari.

Welcome to the new Apple. Folks will try to convince you that nothing is wrong. But we, and many others know, that there are some serious issues. Btw, the ones tryin to convince you that nothing is wrong, will also try to convince you that 7.1 will also fix everything.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
has anyone researched as to why this is happening
limited ram can't be the cause as I can open 20 tabs on my 5 year old lenovo netbook having 1gb ram with win xp installed.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
has anyone researched as to why this is happening
limited ram can't be the cause as I can open 20 tabs on my 5 year old lenovo netbook having 1gb ram with win xp installed.

Theory is that new IOS devices have an x64 processor and it requires more memory overhead because of the x64 memory addressing system. Also your XP laptop can cache data back onto the HD so it doesn't run out of space. As I said it's only a theory and really only Apple knows the reals cause (we hope).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.